Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Berman has been fired. At least according to Barr so I don't know how that works in practice.

Anyway, that leaves his deputy in charge for now and there is no chance of a crony replacement at the moment according to Graham and Schumer.

barr said he fired him. but barr says a lot of nonsense. Berman was appointed by a judge in the district that the SDNY is in. He stays in situ until somebody else is nominated and the nomination is approved.

Tork wrote: »
    This is the same dude who tried to convince us Martin Gugino didn't get his head split open by the cops when they knocked him open. He's about as eagle eyed as Stevie Wonder.

he claimed he didnt have blood coming out of his ear because he watched a version of the video that was clearly censored.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

barr said he fired him. but barr says a lot of nonsense. Berman was appointed by a judge in the district that the SDNY is in. He stays in situ until somebody else is nominated and the nomination is approved.

Yeah. Wasn't it Barr who said last night that he had resigned? Surely Trump has to do something to effectuate a firing? I don't know how this works so I don't know if a letter from the AG is enough.

As for him staying put, you could be right. Legal twitter isn't sure about the right legality of the President firing him. Add to that the fact that he was willing to defy Barr last night suggests to me that he might be willing to pursue legal avenues to challenge his dismissal. At a minimum, I'm sure he has some ducks in a row by now, given that he came in to work today.

EDIT:

Trump just said that he wasn't involved in the firing, that it was all Barr. I know that Trump says a lot of things that aren't true but this surely casts doubt on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

On Trump's big rally

Oklahoma COVID cases...

106584580-1592572224156-20200619_new_cases_curve_Oklahoma.png?v=1592572332&w=740&h=351

:/

Yeah. Wasn't it Barr who said last night that he had resigned? Surely Trump has to do something to effectuate a firing? I don't know how this works so I don't know if a letter from the AG is enough.

As for him staying put, you could be right. Legal twitter isn't sure about the right legality of the President firing him. Add to that the fact that he was willing to defy Barr last night suggests to me that he might be willing to pursue legal avenues to challenge his dismissal. At a minimum, I'm sure he has some ducks in a row by now, given that he came in to work today.

EDIT:

Trump just said that he wasn't involved in the firing, that it was all Barr. I know that Trump says a lot of things that aren't true but this surely casts doubt on things.

barr cant fire him. he was appointed by a judge. all barr can do is get trump to nominate somebody for the role and get the Senate to approve it. Barr was probably hoping he would roll over. It raises the question as to which SDNY investigation it is that has barr so worried. and before one the usual crowd comes and says that barr has every right to fire him and that he was doing an absolutely terrible job:
    On April 25, 2018, the Chief Judge of the Southern District of New York entered an order on behalf of a unanimous court appointing Berman U.S. Attorney pursuant to its authority under 28 U.S.C Section 546(d). Berman has the appointment indefinitely, until the Senate confirms someone nominated by the president.

28 U.S. Code § 546.Vacancies

(a)Except as provided in subsection (b), the Attorney General may appoint a United States attorney for
    the district in which the office of United States attorney is vacant.
    (b)The Attorney General shall not appoint as United States attorney a person to whose appointment by the President to that office the Senate refused to give advice and consent.
    (c)A person appointed as United States attorney under this section may serve until the earlier of—
    (1)the qualification of a United States attorney for such district appointed by the President under section 541 of this title; or
    (2)the expiration of 120 days after appointment by the Attorney General under this section.
    (d)If an appointment expires under subsection (c)(2), the district court for such district may appoint a United States attorney to serve until the vacancy is filled. The order of appointment by the court shall be filed with the clerk of the court.

berman was appointed under section(d) so serves until the vacancy is filled. Filling the vacancy requires a nomination from the President and the confirmation of the senate as per section (b)

• Advertisement

barr cant fire him. he was appointed by a judge. all barr can do is get trump to nominate somebody for the role and get the Senate to approve it. Barr was probably hoping he would roll over. It raises the question as to which SDNY investigation it is that has barr so worried.

You're right about Barr not being able to fire him but there seems to be doubt about whether Trump can. That being said, Trump denies it so Berman must still be in the job. It seems that to fire him, legalities aside, Trump need to sign a letter informing him of said firing.

This is looking like another bungled sh!tshow.

You're right about Barr not being able to fire him but there seems to be doubt about whether Trump can. That being said, Trump denies it so Berman must still be in the job. It seems that to fire him, legalities aside, Trump need to sign a letter informing him of said firing.

This is looking like another bungled sh!tshow.

according to the section of the US code under which berman was appointed he can only be replaced by a person nominated by the president and approved by the senate

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Overheal wrote:
    You can type and surely you can paste so a url string is beyond your ken?
    No, if I put up a link it disappears when I post. In fact if I put up a link the while post disappears when a hit post most of the time.

according to the section of the US code under which berman was appointed he can only be replaced by a person nominated by the president and approved by the senate

I think you might be right. I had assumed that the President could fire anyone working for the federal government. At a minimum Berman looks to at least be able to refuse to go and challenge it. And after that fustercluck of an attempt at removal over the last 20 odd minutes, I think he has a strong case. Legal stuff isn't my area though so take that with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Just watched a video showing some Trump fans burning their face masks. Setting a good tone for the evening already.

Im just interested to see what happens when he goes off script, thats going to be one riled up crowd in there and he likes to play to the gallery. Definitely expecting lots of mentions of Anfifa and Biden but Im wonder will he stay away from George Floyd altogether

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

On Trump's big rally

Oklahoma COVID cases...

106584580-1592572224156-20200619_new_cases_curve_Oklahoma.png?v=1592572332&w=740&h=351

:/

This event will be a catastrophe for Tulsa. We will see that in the data a month from now. I have no doubt. This manipulative administration is so dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Muahahaha wrote: »

Im just interested to see what happens when he goes off script, thats going to be one riled up crowd in there and he likes to play to the gallery. Definitely expecting lots of mentions of Anfifa and Biden but Im wonder will he stay away from George Floyd altogether

Shots everytime he says "sleepy joe" or "crooked Hilary" double shots for every "Obama"

Tune in tomorrow, it will give you a slight insight to how popular he is among the average American.

It starts in 10 minutes.

Let's see what it's like in an hour or two, I suppose.

Ea_Px1NXgAEqcFg?format=jpg&name=small

EDIT:

It seems that Trump has decided against addressing the overflow crowd. I can understand why.

https://twitter.com/wsteaks/status/1274464460950908932

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The utter irrelevance of this rally is beyond belief.

And yet, here we are,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

And yet, here we are,

Sometimes people need reminding how ridiculous most of the Trump stuff is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,767 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It starts in 10 minutes.

Let's see what it's like in an hour or two, I suppose.

Ea_Px1NXgAEqcFg?format=jpg&name=small

EDIT:

It seems that Trump has decided against addressing the overflow crowd. I can understand why.

https://twitter.com/wsteaks/status/1274464460950908932

That crowd is actually the biggest in history of crowds. Its fake news photos the other angle is better. There was seventy billion there Ted. LOCK HER UP

Sometimes people need reminding how ridiculous most of the Trump stuff is.

That's the problem, though. It has real effects that affect real people. It's not like some tv show that you can choose to watch or not. I can understand your nihilism but most don't share it.

The warm up acts just firing insults and regurgitating old slogans. Absolutely crazy that this is where things are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The warm up acts just firing insults and regurgitating old slogans. Absolutely crazy that this is where things are at.

More crazy we are under the control of a dishonest mass produced mainstream media that turn truth upside down and create division.

• Advertisement

More crazy we are under the control of a dishonest mass produced mainstream media that turn truth upside down and create division.

So the two ladies are saying now...

Also continuing to use the MAGA slogan is absolutely stupid from the campaign team. Makes it sound like he has done nothing the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,168 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump said he would talk first to the 1000s out side lol, there is no one out side . and very few inside lol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trump said he would talk first to the 1000s out side lol, there is no one out side . and very few inside lol

yup, looks about one quarter full, what will his excuse be? I thought they had a million requests for tickets :rolleyes:

CNN just showed the overflow crowd, there was literally 12 people just standing there wandering around. Also they reported that he got Air Force One to fly low over the venue so he could inspect the crowd but it wasnt that big.

Theyre reporting that the Trump campaign are spinning it as protestors blocking Trump supporters from getting to the venue :D

ChikiChiki wrote: »

do you have a link to a live stream Chiki? All I can find is streams going live at 1am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Ha, the floor is mostly empty, the whole of the upper tier is empty, and they are only showing 1/5 of the arena. The people there are still packed in tight. Got to make the optics right for trump. Imbeciles. Pack in a bit tighter and everyone give trump a hug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    do you have a link to a live stream Chiki? All I can find is streams going live at 1am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niCxnEyG0SM

its on a break, eric was just rabble rousing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

yup, looks about one quarter full, what will his excuse be? I thought they had a million requests for tickets :rolleyes:

Bet those people that started queueing outside on Tuesday feel a bit silly now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Something tells me you wouldn’t be saying that if it was packed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement