Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

MadYaker wrote: »
    Yeah I can't understand how so many are prepared to give him so much slack and to suspend reality. It is a phenomenon that needs to be studied.

PC culture imo, without it he never stood a chance of being elected. He was the lesser of two evils for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

10 national polls taken in the last fortnight by thr big organisations, Trump v Biden

Best CNN, has Biden at +11. Worst FOX has it tied. Average of the ten is Biden +6

Personally, I feel there's enough quiet disgust at Trump in the US for that to follow through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Larbre34 wrote: »
    10 national polls taken in the last fortnight by thr big organisations, Trump v Biden

Best CNN, has Biden at +11. Worst FOX has it tied. Average of the ten is Biden +6

Personally, I feel there's enough quiet disgust at Trump in the US for that to follow through.

Its only going to get worse for Trump between now and November also. Whatever about the virus the economy is going to be in recession by then surely. Stock market is back to where it was before he got elected. No wall. Didn't repeal Obamacare. Did he keep any promise he made in the previous campaign? Its a struggle to see what he's going to point to in terms of what he actually accomplished which means he'll have to resort to mud slinging. Biden has plenty of ammo there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Its only going to get worse for Trump between now and November also. Whatever about the virus the economy is going to be in recession by then surely. Stock market is back to where it was before he got elected. No wall. Didn't repeal Obamacare. Did he keep any promise he made in the previous campaign? Its a struggle to see what he's going to point to in terms of what he actually accomplished which means he'll have to resort to mud slinging. Biden has plenty of ammo there.

But they still owned the libs, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

But they still owned the libs, right?

That may well come down to how many of each is left alive in a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

kilns wrote: »
    Just to clarify did the majority of citizens vote for Trump I’m not sure did they?

So it was solely Trumps policies that created a good economy? he took over a failing economy where the jobless figures were going up consistently and economic growth was in the gutter for years before?

And how is your national debt? Ever buy a Ferrari on a credit card and hoping the credit card company will never come calling to clear your balance...
    Why do people keep leaning on a useless number? We don’t elect our president by majority vote... we elect by the Electoral College. Who knows who would be president if Trump had campaigned to win the majority vote? Smart guy, wouldn't you say? Perhaps he still would have won, perhaps not. He didn’t much bother with certain states because they were solid blue. But if he would have campaigned to try and win the majority vote he would have certainly focused more time, attention, and promises on the big voter number states and would certainly have gotten more votes there. So please stop using the majority vote as if it means anything... IT DOESN’T.

And yes it was Trumps actions. Primarily from tax cuts, renegotiating trade deals, and removing job and business killing regulations. People who don't think the benefits this country has see are because of Trump's actions... are delusional.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Larbre34 wrote: »

Yeah, that's not going to happen. The election, if there is one, will be fixed and Wisconsin the other day was a trial run.

The supreme Court ruled that mail in voting in response to covid would unfairly change the nature of the election. They in the same ruling said it was ok for Milwaukee to close 175 of its 180 polling stations for the vote. Let that sink in for a moment.

Milwaukee is the same size as Dublin. Imagine 5 voting stations for the entirety of Dublin to squeeze into at any time, let along right now when we are all social distancing and many are at huge risk of death if they catch the virus.

And as trump has repeatedly said, the more people that are allowed to vote the worse it is for republicans, so their goal is to stop Americans from being able to.

If the covid spread goes completely, horrifically tits up and let's say some insane number 10 million are dead in the US by November, Trump and the supreme Court will rule to "post pone" the election indefinitely, is my guess. Might go looking for odds on no election Clem November actually now that I think of it.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. The election, if there is one, will be fixed and Wisconsin the other day was a trial run.

The supreme Court ruled that mail in voting in response to covid would unfairly change the nature of the election. They in the same ruling said it was ok for Milwaukee to close 175 of its 180 polling stations for the vote. Let that sink in for a moment.

Milwaukee is the same size as Dublin. Imagine 5 voting stations for the entirety of Dublin to squeeze into at any time, let along right now when we are all social distancing and many are at huge risk of death if they catch the virus.

And as trump has repeatedly said, the more people that are allowed to vote the worse it is for republicans, so their goal is to stop Americans from being able to.

If the covid spread goes completely, horrifically tits up and let's say some insane number 10 million are dead in the US by November, Trump and the supreme Court will rule to "post pone" the election indefinitely, is my guess. Might go looking for odds on no election Clem November actually now that I think of it.
    Let’s cut the crap. Democrats are trying to change election rules because they’re dishonest and have no qualms against utilizing voter fraud. The changes democrats want in the voting process are rife for abuse, and the undermining the integrity of the ballot, as it utilizes biased and political third-parties to gather and handle a large amount of votes. In these days of increasing threats to election security we should be moving back to in-person paper ballots and voter IDs, but democrat efforts would be a gigantic step in the wrong direction. Anyone with have a brain can see what’s afoot. Democrats keep wanting to push changes that foster abuses of the voting process and republicans keep wanting to make sure the votes are valid. Rather telling that whenever voter fraud is uncovered it is almost perpetrated by democrats, wouldn’t you say. I'd say if democrats get what they want in voting changes they'll never lose an election again. How can you lose when 135% of the total voters in an area vote, and surprise, surprise, a vast majority voted democratic?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    Democrats keep wanting to push changes that foster abuses of the voting process and republicans keep wanting to make sure the votes are valid.

To me it seems both parties are doing what they can to get ahead. If it's not the republicans gerrymandering its the democrats obsession with the popular vote. Voter ID laws are double edged laws.

2u2me wrote: »
    To me it seems both parties are doing what they can to get ahead. If it's not the republicans gerrymandering its the democrats obsession with the popular vote. Voter ID laws are double edged laws.
    Both parties have been guilty of gerrymandering. Many of the courts are now making voter boundaries. My jurisdiction has gone from Republican to Democrat because we lost an area that matches political thinking towards the core of us here, and have taken in a new area filled with NY state thinking liberals who have moved into the state to escape high taxes in NY.

A lawsuit was made regarding redistricting in the state. The judge ruled that democrats and republicans come up with a compromise and that compromise must be approved by the democratic governor or the governor can make up the districts. Well a compromise redistricting was made and surprise, surprise, the democrat governor rejected it and made up his own districts. The new districts are far better then the democratic party could ever have imagined. It will be hard for Republicans to win congressional seats going forward in the state. Liberal judges... you just gotta love them... NOT!

• Advertisement

Last night Attorney General William Barr dropped a potential major bomb on TV. When asked when we could expect to see Durham’s report, Barr replied that he’s not sure there will be a report. Apparently Durham might go right to criminal indictments rather than developing a report. It seems if Durham is focusing on criminal violations and bringing those who committed them to justice. That must mean Durham thinks he’s got enough in his pocket to go right to trial. A report on the abuses of high level democrats illegally sabotaging Trump’s presidency would go a long way in the lead up to the election, but criminal indictments of high level democrats and their operatives in the FBI might go a long way also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Last night Attorney General William Barr dropped a potential major bomb on TV. When asked when we could expect to see Durham’s report, Barr replied that he’s not sure there will be a report. Apparently Durham might go right to criminal indictments rather than developing a report. It seems if Durham is focusing on criminal violations and bringing those who committed them to justice. That must mean Durham thinks he’s got enough in his pocket to go right to trial. A report on the abuses of high level democrats illegally sabotaging Trump’s presidency would go a long way in the lead up to the election, but criminal indictments of high level democrats and their operatives in the FBI might go a long way also.

Yeah, it's gonna be a nothingburger

duploelabs wrote: »
    Yeah, it's gonna be a nothingburger
    Myhaps. But if Durham brings criminal indictments against the likes of Brennen, Clapper, McCabe, Comey, and Stotz, even the democrat media handmaidens will no longer be able to keep turning a blind eye to all the illegal abuses of power and be forced to report on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Witch Hunt! Hoax!

Am I doing it right?

:rolleyes:

Brutal!

Hey Joe, welcome to the general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Why do people keep leaning on a useless number? We don’t elect our president by majority vote... we elect by the Electoral College. Who knows who would be president if Trump had campaigned to win the majority vote? Smart guy, wouldn't you say? Perhaps he still would have won, perhaps not. He didn’t much bother with certain states because they were solid blue. But if he would have campaigned to try and win the majority vote he would have certainly focused more time, attention, and promises on the big voter number states and would certainly have gotten more votes there. So please stop using the majority vote as if it means anything... IT DOESN’T.

And yes it was Trumps actions. Primarily from tax cuts, renegotiating trade deals, and removing job and business killing regulations. People who don't think the benefits this country has see are because of Trump's actions... are delusional.

1. It was you who referred to the majority in your previous post. Go read it.

2. Ok no point talking economics to you as you will blindly deny basic facts

As I said you give me a laugh each day with your posts

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Brutal!

I'm not sure I find that terribly persuasive to be honest.

Is it not the case the Trump has also made some complimentary statements regarding Xi? Or that the travel ban from China was a failure as thousands of people arrived after the ban, and didn't complete a quarantine? And that the majority of US cases are actually of European origin? And that Trump shipped PPE and other equipment to China while Americans were becoming ill and dying? Etc etc

I don't think China is an area of competitive advantage for Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Let’s cut the crap. Democrats are trying to change election rules because they’re dishonest and have no qualms against utilizing voter fraud. The changes democrats want in the voting process are rife for abuse, and the undermining the integrity of the ballot, as it utilizes biased and political third-parties to gather and handle a large amount of votes. In these days of increasing threats to election security we should be moving back to in-person paper ballots and voter IDs, but democrat efforts would be a gigantic step in the wrong direction. Anyone with have a brain can see what’s afoot. Democrats keep wanting to push changes that foster abuses of the voting process and republicans keep wanting to make sure the votes are valid. Rather telling that whenever voter fraud is uncovered it is almost perpetrated by democrats, wouldn’t you say. I'd say if democrats get what they want in voting changes they'll never lose an election again. How can you lose when 135% of the total voters in an area vote, and surprise, surprise, a vast majority voted democratic?
    My you're quite the trump fanboy I'm guessing.

If closing using mail in ballots is "changing election rules" as you put it, then so is closing 175 ofn180 voting stations. And with the covid crisis, squeezing all of those people into just 5 stations is actively encouraging pepe to catch it if they wish to exercise their right to vote. Do you want people to be able to vote ven though Trump has said on a number of occasions that republicans cannot win when everyone gets to vote?

2. I wouldn't go talking about voter fraud if I were trying to be a Republican fanboy. Do you remember in Georgia when the republicans destroyed all evidence of the electoral roles after getting caught out? They also got caught engaging in election fraud in North carolina which you can read about at https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/22/us/republican-voter-fraud.amp.html . Do you want to see less fraud in elections even thigh the republicans are the ones at it, meaning it would harm their chances to hold these fairly?

3. The republicans have been defunding and blocking nything that can protect against elections being compromised for the last several years. Where is your faux outrage there? You can read about them here https://usatoday.com/amp/884438002 ... and here https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/house-republicans-just-voted-to-eliminate-the-only-federal-agency-that-makes-sure-voting-machines-cant-be-hacked ... And here https://theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/25/us-election-security-republicans-mueller ... And here http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/the-third-time-year-gop-rejects-election-security-bill ... And another 3 here https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/house/482569-senate-gop-blocks-three-election-security-bills%3famp just for a start. Do you want your elections to be secure from interference, even though the republican party don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Brutal!

One of the "Chinese" guys Biden is talking to is actually an ex Governor and US Ambassador are you going to condemn this as fake news?

Both parties have been guilty of gerrymandering.

Fair enough. So it's not as you originally stated "Republicans just wanting a fair voting system". That was the point I was challenging.

The always Trumpers are just as bad as the never Trumpers imo.
    The always Trumpers forgive his lack of tax transparency, his economic regression(they know moving back to coal is backwards), his bullying and his attitutde.

The TDS sufferers on the other hand won't give Trump even the smallest bit of credit for anything; and they figure out what's right in the world by doing the opposite of Trump.

Trump closes the borders to China in early February. If there is footage or anything of any Democrats agreeing with him at that time I'd love to see it, I'd have a lot of respect for those people. From what I've seen he was called a racist for doing so. Typical.

• Advertisement

Trump closes the borders to China in early February. If there is footage or anything of any Democrats agreeing with him at that time I'd love to see it, I'd have a lot of respect for those people. From what I've seen he was called a racist for doing so. Typical.

First of all he didn’t close the borders. He stopped flights from China, didn’t ban Chinese citizens or flights from anywhere else. Just flights coming directly from China, numerous other countries had cases at this point, no restrictions on people coming from anywhere else. At this point the virus was already spreading from person to person within the United States. This was around the time that trump said it would “just disappear”

First of all he didn’t close the borders. He stopped flights from China, didn’t ban Chinese citizens or flights from anywhere else. Just flights coming directly from China, numerous other countries had cases at this point, no restrictions on people coming from anywhere else. At this point the virus was already spreading from person to person within the United States. This was around the time that trump said it would “just disappear”

Come on you know what's what I meant. He closed the borders TO china. Would you give him credit for that?

Or should he have done more and not permitted any Chinese people from connecting flights? Something Akin to Taiwain's response.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Come on you know what's what I meant. He closed the borders TO china. Would you give him credit for that?

Or should he have done more and not permitted any Chinese people from connecting flights? Something Akin to Taiwain's response.

Closing the border to China do nothing to stop the spread of the disease but served to dogwhistle that China were the problem

He should have listened to his own CDC and the WHO like a real leader and start taking the relevant precautions. Talk to the states, get them ready for lockdown when the time is right. Start funnelling federal money into bulking up testing and contact tracing abilities. Come up with a plan for people who have no insurance, reassure the frightened people that government is doing everything it can etc etc you know the stuff varadker and most other leaders did. Instead he announces a flight ban from China (as an extension of his trade war with China) and then goes on twitter and tells everyone it’ll disappear in April. He deserves no credit here. Not one thing he has done has actually helped the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

no restrictions on people coming from anywhere else.

False. From Feb 2nd no matter what country a non-citizen was travelling from, if they had been to China within the previous 14 days, they were denied entry to the US. Even US citizens who had been to China within the previous two weeks were either being quarantined at a military base or subjected to 14 days of self-quarantine and monitoring.
    This was around the time that trump said it would “just disappear”

Fake news. I realise the lefties are all saying he said that but what he in fact said was "It's going to disappear one day". Kinda like how Obama said (the week the first cases of Swine Flu were detected in the US) that it was "not a cause for alarm" but 12,500 people went on to die from it over the following 12 months. Politicians in optimism shocker. Who'd of thunk it.

He also said moments later, by the way, that it "could get worse before it gets better" but I'm sure not quoting that bit is just accidental, right. Kinda like how y'all don't quote him saying that he wasn't referring to white supremacists or neo-nazis when you all trot out that fine people line.

He made the comments, by the way, at an African American History Month reception which he was hosting in the White House. Strange thing for a racist to be doing, don't you think.

By the way, in response to those travel restrictions, the WHO Chief said:
    "We reiterate our call to all countries not to impose restrictions inconsistent with the International Health Regulations.

Such restrictions can have the effect of increasing fear and stigma, with little public health benefit.

That's the chief of the World Health Organization saying, just two days after the travel restrictions came into place, that they tend to have "little public health benefit" and yet here you are trying to tell us Trump should have done much more.

This is why Trump called the whining of the democrats claiming the administration wasn't doing enough 'the new hoax' because out of the other sides of their mouths they were also calling him a racist and a xenophobe, who was just engaging in fear mongering. Course the left never miss an opportunity for sanctimonious hand wringing and without missing a beat they started to claim that Trump was now calling the virus itself a hoax. All in unison too. Something to behold isn't it, how so many people can be instantaneously so sickeningly disingenuous. They'll study it in years to come I believe.

Closing the border to China do nothing to stop the spread of the disease but served to dogwhistle that China were the problem

Your narrative completely collapses when you consider that Taiwan also closed their borders to China, sooner than the US, and to great effect.

Come on; this is the never trumper attitude I was referring to earlier! You're smarter than this.
    Taiwan has kept the virus under control when other parts of the world have not.[...]moved quickly to respond to the potential threat,[...]The policies and actions go beyond border control because they recognized that that wasn't enough.[...]Among those early decisive measures was the decision to ban travel from many parts of China,
    Source

Not sure why you’re talking about him being a racist? I never said that. I also never said he should impose more travel restrictions, so don’t try to imply that I did. You can take a different meaning from his words if it makes you feel better but the fact is he downplayed this for as long as he possibly could.

How would you rate his performance out of ten on his response to Coronavirus?

Your narrative completely collapses when you consider that Taiwan also closed their borders to China, sooner than the US, and to great effect.

Come on; this is the never trumper attitude I was referring to earlier! You're smarter than this.

Source

Taiwan have also been doing some of the most extensive levels of testing and contact tracing, everyone wears masks hence they are dealing with it properly and the USA is basically in free fall. But yeah you’re right the China ban was yuuuuuge, go trump!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You couldn't make it up... :p

So, whilst the scientific community heralds social distancing measures within China (and elsewhere) as what reduced the number of COVID-19 cases, closing the border to the country where the virus originated did "nothing to stop the spread of the disease" - it was but a "dog whistle"? Ha.

• Advertisement

Taiwan have also been doing some of the most extensive levels of testing and contact tracing, everyone wears masks hence they are dealing with it properly and the USA is basically in free fall. But yeah you’re right the China ban was yuuuuuge, go trump!

It was one small part of a bigger picture. Every small part counts massively in managing the curve. The point remains that Trump wasn't given credit for this one small good thing he did, instead called a racist by mainstream media and democrats.

It happens over and over. People see through it. They are their own worst enemy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement