Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

What has he done to make you say that? Also I doubt he'd consider himself a journalist.
    (paraphrasing)
    Joe: oh I heard about something
    Mic buddy: oh let me Google that, oh yes I found a title confirming that
    Joe: oh well it's true then

• Registered Users Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Jaysus, that collar will need a right good scrubbing. :pac:

https://twitter.com/CheriJacobus/status/1275171827833360396

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1275136946348703744

oooookkayyyyy

*move away slowly, don't make eye contact...*

I believe 'snowflake' is the word you're looking for. He's not as thick skinned or able to brush it off like the guy who came before him, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,536 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Surprised it took someone this long to come up with some tell all book to be honest. That was always going to be a serious moneyspinner.

35fobd123l551.jpg

I had to laugh at one part of the interview, when he was asked about why he made favourable remarks to the press about Trump's ability during the time of the North Korea summit. He says he didn't believe what he was saying at the time, but his role was to defend the administration. So, in other words according to John Bolton, lying purposely is a-okay in useful circumstances.

The man is a self-serving piece of crap. Couldn't even bring himself to admit that after all his laying into Trump that he'd vote for Biden, even if, for him, he represented the lesser of two evils.

Not that I don't believe him about Trump and his antics, of course. I'd say the stuff that couldn't be published is even worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A lot of people seem to be ok with Trump lying with practically every breath he exhales, so why get upset at Bolton, he's just abiding by the low standards set by his organisational superior.

American politics is beyond redemption. There are no morals, only objectives, for which the end justifies the means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

cnocbui wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to be ok with Trump lying with practically every breath he exhales, so why get upset at Bolton, he's just abiding by the low standards set by his organisational superior.

American politics is beyond redemption. There are no morals, only objectives, for which the end justifies the means.

Trump is human garbage. But so is Bolton. Let's not pretend one is really much if any better than the other. Frankly now that it has been released, I would get great glee from seeing the judge rulings see Bolton get no money from his book and sued to pieces over it too. He's a filthy scumbag who played a huge role in the world going how it has the last 17 years, and who chose to profit off a book rather than trying to actually do anything go help his country or testify when it (supposedly) mattered. He could die in a ditch for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

+31,496 Coronavirus cases in USA yesterday.

California seems to be getting hit pretty hard too at the moment, as well as loads of red states.

Deaths are falling though, which would suggest it is young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,766 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They're not cruel when you consider some of the stuff their target has come out with:

15111106_10154510449195733_7100512809205767734_o.jpg?w=549

He appealed to his base that would enjoy that type of thing.

pjohnson wrote: »
    He appealed to his base that would enjoy that type of thing.

Like the the racism, corruption, sexism etc etc, not all Trump supporters might not share the same traits, but they don't consider it a dealbreaker. Says it all about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Jaysus, that collar will need a right good scrubbing. :pac:

https://twitter.com/CheriJacobus/status/1275171827833360396

And yet people will still claim he doesn't use fake tan :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Have you listened to him? To start he consistently accepts conspiracy theories, including many peddled by Jones. Like Trump, he is a dumb person's idea of what an intelligent person is

What ones does he accept?
    duploelabs wrote: »
    (paraphrasing)
    Joe: oh I heard about something
    Mic buddy: oh let me Google that, oh yes I found a title confirming that
    Joe: oh well it's true then

That's a totally disingenuous paraphrase. And anyway, as I said, he doesn't consider himself a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Trump has voted by mail, now it seems the VP and his wife have also voted by mail from an address they haven't lived at since 2016, remind me again what the problem is with vote by mail?

"Vice President Mike Pence and his wife, Karen Pence, reportedly voted by mail in Indiana’s June primary election using an address they have not lived at since 2016. Their April 13 ballots recorded the Indiana governor’s mansion as their residence for voting purposes, despite their having moved out of the house after Pence became the vice president elect. Though it is legal for the two to vote from a previous address so long as they do not register to vote in Washington, D.C., the move subverts President Donald Trump’s attacks on the vote-by-mail system."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/vice-president-mike-pence-and-wife-voted-by-mail-in-april-using-old-indiana-address?source=cheats&via=rss

That's a totally disingenuous paraphrase. And anyway, as I said, he doesn't consider himself a journalist.

Well then if he doesn't adhere to any journalistic values, how can you tell that what he claims is verifiable and true?

Well then if he doesn't adhere to any journalistic values, how can you tell that what he claims is verifiable and true?

Did I say you could?

Did I say you could?

No, ergo he's a gay frog away from Infowars

No, ergo he's a gay frog away from Infowars

Haha no. That it some leap you are making. He has 2 to 3 hour long discussions with ppl about various topics, some political, some not at all. To suggest that is akin to info wars is, as I suggested earlier, incredibly disingenuous. Infowars styles itself as a news website and engages in journalism (albeit badly), JR hosts a podcast and would not consider himself a journalist. They are in no way similar and should not be held to the same standard.

It seems to me, that you don't really understand what journalism is, or at least, is supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Haha no. That it some leap you are making. He has 2 to 3 hour long discussions with ppl about various topics, some political, some not at all. To suggest that is akin to info wars is, as I suggested earlier, incredibly disingenuous. Infowars styles itself as a news website and engages in journalism (albeit badly), JR hosts a podcast and would not consider himself a journalist. They are in no way similar and should not be held to the same standard.

It seems to me, that you don't really understand what journalism is, or at least, is supposed to be.

I think the concept of journalism is no longer as straightforward as you imply. Forget Rogan for a minute- Fox News famously is not a news channel (hence in the entertainment package with Sky), but they have "news" on the hour- they can put whatever they want as reported news headlines, but can then wriggle out of responsibility for the headline by claiming to be entertainment an/or opinion.
    The public's opinions are partly formed by actors blurring the lines between news and opinion or more directly by questioning ordinary media.

baaba maal wrote: »
    I think the concept of journalism is no longer as straightforward as you imply. Forget Rogan for a minute- Fox News famously is not a news channel (hence in the entertainment package with Sky), but they have "news" on the hour- they can put whatever they want as reported news headlines, but can then wriggle out of responsibility for the headline by claiming to be entertainment an/or opinion.
    The public's opinions are partly formed by actors blurring the lines between news and opinion or more directly by questioning ordinary media.

Are you sure that's the case re fox news? Although I don't necessarily disagree with you, and the distinction between journalism v opinion piece writer has become somewhat blurred (particular in America, I'm nearly certain rogan has explicitly stated he is not a journalist, mightve been the podcast he did with Michael Shermer.

Regardless, comparing him to Alex Jones is well wide of the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Again, have you even listened to his shows, especially ones with conspiracy theorists? Just recently he has repeatedly pushed stuff related to COVID from anti-mask wearing to hydroxychloroquine.

Here's one with Alex Jones, where Rogan rarely pushes back on some of the craziest crap I've ever heard, from human animal hybrids to aliens, and repeatedly Rogan says he agrees with Jones or believes him.

Are you sure that's the case re fox news? Although I don't necessarily disagree with you, and the distinction between journalism v opinion piece writer has become somewhat blurred (particular in America, I'm nearly certain rogan has explicitly stated he is not a journalist, mightve been the podcast he did with Michael Shermer.

Regardless, comparing him to Alex Jones is well wide of the mark.

Fox News has some 'news' shows but they are open that their entire prime time are 'opinion' shows. They don't flag which is which to regular viewers so masquerade opinion as news.

I'd argue Rogan does is similar and just as dangerous. He frames his show as a discussion but then provides view points on news that are regularly pretty vile with minimal to no pushback and this then becomes the only source that many listeners receive. He is on the level as Trump's 'many people are saying'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

InfoWars does not engage in journalism, it engages in propaganda, misinformation and conspiracy theories. It exists to milk the gullible for cash and can have horrific consequences such as the parents of the murdered Sandy Hook children being stalked and attacked by Jones' deranged cultist followers.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

InfoWars does not engage in journalism, it engages in propaganda, misinformation and conspiracy theories. It exists to milk the gullible for cash and can have horrific consequences such as the parents of the murdered Sandy Hook children being stalked and attacked by Jones' deranged cultist followers.

Sounds a bit like CNN so

GT89 wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like CNN so

CNN claimed Sandy Hook was fabricated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

And yet people will still claim he doesn't use fake tan :pac:
    I always thought it was urine stains from the Russian hoores :)

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

Well maybe so but the point is comparing it to Joe Rogan's podcast is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well maybe so but the point is comparing it to Joe Rogan's podcast is ridiculous.

No idea but comparing it with CNN certainly is.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Again, have you even listened to his shows, especially ones with conspiracy theorists? Just recently he has repeatedly pushed stuff related to COVID from anti-mask wearing to hydroxychloroquine.

What conspiracy has he peddled with regards to mask wearing? The info given about mask wearing (either to wear one or not) was never clear. And what did he push with regards to hydroxychloroquine? Can you give me a concrete example of something he actively pushed that was in the realm of conspiracy.
    Here's one with Alex Jones, where Rogan rarely pushes back on some of the craziest crap I've ever heard, from human animal hybrids to aliens, and repeatedly Rogan says he agrees with Jones or believes him.

Brilliant a 5 hour video! Any clips in particular?

• Advertisement

Rogan has repeatedly had him and similar vile characters on his show and allowed them to spew the same things, regularly unchallenged, while also making money on merchandise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement