Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    There seems to be an interesting race going on with the Democratic Kentucky primary. Amy McGrath, who received heavy endorsements, is in tight race against progressive candidate Charles Booker.

Yeah, that's one that seemed to come up out of nowhere somewhat, possibly due to a bump caused by the Breonna Taylor murder fiasco. A lot of people think booker is considerably less likely to win against McConnell in November, though chances of anyone with (D) beside their name are probably quite slim anyway. One line of thinking is Booker winning might be a blessing in disguise insomuch as m grath has raised exorbitant money for her campaign that if she were to lose inthe primary would then likely be distributed out around numerous tighter races nationwide. It'll be interesting go see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

2u2me wrote: »
    The primary reason he had him on was a show of support; since the social media platforms came together to ban him.

Russiagate
    Covington kids
    Jussie Smollett
    Recently Bubba Wallace and his 'noose'

How irresponsible were these stories? Pedalled by bonified 'media'.

There is a legal system, Jones went to court, he was sued. That's the way it works. People aren't happy with that they want to see him cancelled, they'd probably remove the air around him if they could.

Just strange they don't apply the same standards to the media that they so readily consume.

The same media that have repeatedly ran stories about things being done to cops food only later to have to update their stories when it is later found out that the cops made it up?

https://twitter.com/Julian_Epp/status/1275458206253240327?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Jones who actively created a scenario where Sandy Hook families were harassed because they were "crisis actors"... Cancel away, he targeted vulnerable people and placed them in danger. This resulted in many of them having to move multiple times. Platforms are perfectly free to ban users who violate their terms and conditions btw. They don't have to go to court to do so.

Not yet. I've heard AG Barr talking about it, they are writing a bill that would allow users to sue social media companies if they don't follow the standards that they themselves have set or are seen to be unfairly enforcing their own rules(Giving others leeway).

This seems a fair compromise, no? Social media platforms create the rules(Obviously must follow the law also), but if they want to ban someone they must show clearly how their rules were obviously broken, none of this wishy washy stuff they're currently using.

Just for example the rule on boards is 'don't be a dick' is a very braod statement that can be applied at one's discretion. It is subjective and a catch all term that could pretty much include any jibe or back and forth.
    These kind of rules shouldn't stand on social media where a large chunk of the planet currently reside, especially where the userbase is far too large for actual people to moderate and to get to know their userbase.

These are the kinds of rules that leads to unfair treatment; based soley on the subjective feelings of the person interpreting the rule.

What rule(s) did Alex Jones break on those platforms?
    You show me that; I'll show you them being broken by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Don't know if this was posted already, I see Twitter have put a warning on another of his tweets.

2u2me wrote: »
    Not yet. I've heard AG Barr talking about it, they are writing a bill that would allow users to sue social media companies if they don't follow the standards that they themselves have set or are seen to be unfairly enforcing their own rules(Giving others leeway).

This seems a fair compromise, no? Social media platforms create the rules(Obviously must follow the law also), but if they want to ban someone they must show clearly how their rules were obviously broken, none of this wishy washy stuff they're currently using.

Just for example the rule on boards is 'don't be a dick' is a very braod statement that can be applied at one's discretion. It is subjective and a catch all term that could pretty much include any jibe or back and forth.
    These kind of rules shouldn't stand on social media where a large chunk of the planet currently reside, especially where the userbase is far too large for actual people to moderate and to get to know their userbase.

These are the kinds of rules that leads to unfair treatment; based soley on the subjective feelings of the person interpreting the rule.

What rule(s) did Alex Jones break on those platforms?
    You show me that; I'll show you them being broken by others.

And I think it's reasonably to ban a user if they've placed people in significant danger. If anything people like Jones tended to end up protected for a long length of time before finally banned. Rules that he broke included child endangerment and hate speech on youtube. Then he circumvented the 90 day ban resulting in a permanent ban. He was not removed because he was a conservative voice or something. ;)

I would also suspect the route Barr is pursuing isn't exactly in good faith. I actually do favour putting greater responsibility on social media platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

BREAKING: US hits single day high of reported Coronavirus cases.

And zero leadership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

BREAKING: US hits single day high of reported Coronavirus cases.

And zero leadership.

Various state governors have dropped the ball on this one

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Various state governors have dropped the baton on this one

Never got handed one in the first place.....

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Never got handed one in the first place.....

They governors run their own shows. That's reality

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

All the while Trump roared for openings as early as Easter and has cried for the ‘liberation’ of states.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    All the while Trump roared for openings as early as Easter and has cried for the ‘liberation’ of states.

Did they all open up at Easter?

Did they all open up at Easter?

So Trump was an ineffectual leader? Shock

So Trump was an ineffectual leader? Shock

Did they all open up at Easter? Like you said he called for

Did they all open up at Easter? Like you said he called for

Well Trump called for it to be so. He’s our great, duly elected leader of the free world. If he willed it surely the country followed.

“You tell me?“ - Donald Trump

Well Trump called for it to be so. He’s our great, duly elected leader of the free world. If he willed it surely the country followed.

“You tell me?“ - Donald Trump

Did the individual states reopen at Easter like he requested?

Do you ask rhetorical questions as a profession?

Do you ask rhetorical questions as a profession?

It's not a rhetorical question. You stated that Trump wanted individual states to reopen at Easter.
    I asked you if those states did in fact reopen as per the president's request.

Who’s in charge of the USA?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

What does it matter whether they reopened or not? The fact is that he encouraged it when it was totally irresponsible to do so. Appalling leadership.

It's not a rhetorical question. You stated that Trump wanted individual states to reopen at Easter.

Of course they didn’t, because Trump is an ineffectual leader.

• Advertisement

Of course they didn’t, because Trump is an ineffectual leader.

So we have established that state governors do in fact run their states.
    Eventually.

Increase in virus cases in individual states is on the governors. They are employed to run those areas. They dropped the ball

Eventually.

Increase in virus cases in individual states is on the governors. They are employed to run those areas. They dropped the ball

It’s hard for them to run their states when trump stole their medical supplies from them and pitted states against one another. Eventually my ass, Trump can’t outright force the states to do much but what he can do he is doing and that includes underhanded manipulation. Through his actions, and his politicization of everything from masks, distancing to potential treatments and medical equipment, Trump And his campaign drove a ‘liberate’ movement that saw Karen’s force the states hands (literally at gunpoint in some states Such as Virginia) to open earlier than medical expertise urged. We saw the latest example in Tulsa where wearing masks was treated as treason by members of his MAGA mob.

Any other screed of deflections from Trumps not just ineptitude or incompetence but willful and malicious acts of chaos?

Everyone else is to blame but dear leader.

More concerned with topping up his fake tan and cheating at golf than the many thousands that have and will die.

Disgusting.

no, they didn't open, but the idiot zealots who believe Trumps words are golden ignored social distancing and went out and about anyway. He encouraged breaking the guidelines and many thousands listened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Eventually.

"I don't accept any responsibility at all"

Dear Leader on his role in and contribution to tackling coronavirus, aka 'the democrat hoax'.

It’s hard for them to run their states when trump stole their medical supplies from them and pitted states against one another. Eventually my ass, Trump can’t outright force the states to do much but what he can do he is doing and that includes underhanded manipulation. Through his actions, and his politicization of everything from masks, distancing to potential treatments and medical equipment, Trump And his campaign drove a ‘liberate’ movement that saw Karen’s force the states hands literally at gunpoint in some states Such as Virginia to open earlier than medical expertise urged. We saw the latest example in Tulsa where wearing masks was treated as treason by members of his MAGA mob.

Any other screed of deflections from Trumps not just ineptitude or incompetence but willful and malicious acts of chaos?

You've got the makings of a good fictional story right there.

If they didn't open up then why are they seeing a rise in cases?
    Trump stole their medical supplies.

Then tailing off into saying that states did in fact open up under Trumps request.

Two opposing answers in one reply. Well played

Eventually.

It’s trump that’s in charge of the USA.
    Seeing as you couldn’t answer that easy question.

A reckless coward who shows zero leadership and takes no responsibility.

You've got the makings of a good fictional story right there.

If they didn't open up then why are they seeing a rise in cases?
    Trump stole their medical supplies.

Then tailing off into saying that states did in fact open up under Trumps request.

Two opposing answers in one reply. Well played

You accused me of lying! Where did I lie? I will be glad to provide supporting documentation, just tell me where the lie was. Let’s prove to the thread how good you are at spotting fake news and reality.

The coronavirus is at record numbers. It's raging out of control. Where the hell is the federal government? Where the hell is our national leadership? I cannot imagine this level of dereliction of duty in any other administration I have seen in my (long) lifetime.

Dan Rather

• Advertisement

You accused me of lying! Where did I lie? I will be glad to provide supporting documentation, just tell me where the lie was. Let’s prove to the thread how good you are at spotting fake news and reality.

Gather up all of your supporting documents and evidence and prove your point so.

Everything from Trump asking states to open at Easter, state governors refusing to (statements from individual governors), Trumps reaction, CDC advice statements during that period, Trump stealing medical equipment (and how that lead to more infections in individual states)

Show the thread I'm wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement