Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

It's only a few pages from Matthew 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

.... a n y w h o, speaking of old testaments, Lou Dobbs was irate last night talking to the RNC chair, and put her on blast for letting several senators get primaried:
    ... Senate races in Alabama, Georgia, and Kansas, remarking on how Jeff Sessions, Doug Collins, and Kris Kobach aren’t being supported by the RNC or Mitch McConnell.

“What’s going on and why in the world aren’t you supporting winners,’ Dobbs asked. “That’s, I guess, the question. Why is there this confusion in the Republican party when you need to keep a majority?”

McDaniel started to talk about the RNC not getting involved in primaries, but Dobbs jumped in to say, “For crying out loud, Ronna, McConnell’s spending $2 million against Kobach. I mean, he’s trying to kill the front-runner in the polls! So what’s the deal?”

I guess Dobbs hasn’t gotten the message but the RNC doesn’t like those characters anymore, they don’t do Trumps bidding, especially Sessions. Other folks like Collins just appear to be overt racists that I think cause them brand issues.

https://www.mediaite.com/election-2020/lou-dobbs-presses-rnc-chair-over-not-supporting-candidates-in-senate-primaries-whats-going-on/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Overheal wrote: »
    .... a n y w h o, speaking of old testaments, Lou Dobbs was irate last night talking to the RNC chair, and put her on blast for letting several senators get primaried:

I guess Dobbs hasn’t gotten the message but the RNC doesn’t like those characters anymore, they don’t do Trumps bidding, especially Sessions. Other folks like Collins just appear to be overt racists that I think cause them brand issues.

https://www.mediaite.com/election-2020/lou-dobbs-presses-rnc-chair-over-not-supporting-candidates-in-senate-primaries-whats-going-on/

Well - Kobach does , but it's just that he's un-electable. Him winning the primary would be a gift to the Democrats.. Not quite Roy Moore level , but getting there.

Equally - If Sessions doesn't win the primary , the Democrats would fancy their chances , if nothing else they'll make it a tight race and draw resources away from elsewhere that really shouldn't be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

5 mins to go till Supreme court announce their ruling

edit: 1hr 5 mins

kilns wrote: »
    5 mins to go till Supreme court announce their ruling

On?

• Advertisement

On?

If Congress and New York get Trumps Taxes and financials

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The Lincoln Project knocking it out of the park again
    https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1280961056261767168

If Congress and New York get Trumps Taxes and financials

You’re off by an hour. Expected at 10. It’s 9:39 now

You’re off by an hour. Expected at 10. It’s 9:39 now

yep had edited my initial post

They have released decisions as expected at 10am but no Trump decision..

• Advertisement

Trump loses one of the Tax cases

awaiting next verdict

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

SCOTUS rules Trump not immune from New York's subpoena

From CNN's Ariane de Vogue

The Supreme Court on Thursday said President Trump is not immune from New York’s subpoena, but prosecutor will not get documents now.

About the case: New York District Attorney Cyrus Vance had served a subpoena on Trump's long-time accounting firm, Mazars USA, for his tax returns as part of an investigation into hush money payments to two women with whom the President allegedly had extra-marital affairs pursuant to testimony of Michael Cohen. (Trump has denied the affairs.)

During Supreme Court oral arguments in early May, Trump's attorneys asked for "temporary presidential immunity" against the prosecutor's subpoena.

Several of the justices did not seem receptive to Trump's broad claims of immunity, pointing at times to court precedent concerning Presidents Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton that were relied upon by the lower courts that ruled against Trump.

Justice John Roberts asked a lawyer for Trump about the fact that in Clinton v. Jones, the court allowed a private citizen to bring civil suit against a sitting president.

"You focus on the distraction to the President" in this case, Roberts told a lawyer for Trump, but he said in the Clinton case, "we were not persuaded that the distraction in that case meant that discovery could not proceed."

Justice Sonia Sotomayor stressed that New York District Attorney Cyrus Vance was not targeting official acts by the President.

"You are asking for a broader immunity than anyone else gets," she told a Trump attorney.

And when he emphasized that the president is different than an ordinary litigant, Justice Elena Kagan shot back, saying: "The President isn't above the law."

Other than saying "Not now" no news on when they will have to be handed over.

##Update From Fox
    The Supreme Court has thrown the case of whether state grand juries can access to Trump's personal tax records back to the lower court, sidestepping the broader issue for now.

Supreme Court chicken out of a decision with regard to Congress's case. Embarrassing for America really when their highest court cant even make a decision

Supreme Court chicken out of a decision with regard to Congress's case. Embarrassing for America really when their highest court cant even make a decision

Yeah.. very political decision.

They couldn't rule in his favour as there was simply no legal pathway for it.

So they've basically ruled against him , but slowed down the end-game as much as possible.

No watch Barr play the Covid Card to delay the judicial review of the Congressional case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

What does the new testament say about all this?

Trump having a Twitter meltdown, he needs to win in November or potentially could be facing jail time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I have to say of the multitude of things I don't understand about supporting Trump , by far and away the one that I truly cannot comprehend is his support among religious people.

The continued talk about him being religious and caring about God and his teachings etc. - It just melts my brain.

He is utterly amoral and couldn't care less about God or his teachings - It's a scam to win support , nothing more nothing less.

I think the most religious of people have a character trait where all reason and logic is dismissed at the expense of wild theories and therefore are prone to being easily manipulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

I'm puzzled by the bouncing of the issue of State grand juries' access to Trump's personal records back to lower courts. Why do US Supreme Court judges do that? It has a whiff of laziness on those judges' part.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Yeah.. very political decision.

They couldn't rule in his favour as there was simply no legal pathway for it.

So they've basically ruled against him , but slowed down the end-game as much as possible.

No watch Barr play the Covid Card to delay the judicial review of the Congressional case.

The decision was 7-2 and joined by Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor. I don't think it was political. Based on the decision written I think it was more a case of their argument wasn't strong enough, that they hadn't exhausted other tried and true avenues for cooperation with the executive branch - negotiations they called it, and pointing out the court has never in 200+ years had to resolve this type of dispute, which isn't entirely unique. It may take shutting down government, defunding programs etc. to get Trump to share those records with congress - fat chance of all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Advertisement

Expect an Ad from the Lincoln Project on this very topic any day now

I can understand his base not turning away from him but normal every day people, how can they not see what is obvious, that he is a con man who his hiding something

Expect an Ad from the Lincoln Project on this very topic any day now

I can understand his base not turning away from him but normal every day people, how can they not see what is obvious, that he is a con man who his hiding something

Exactly - NO ONE fights this hard to hide good news...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

He has predictably gone on a tweet storm "PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!"

I wonder whats the chances of the tax returns getting leaked before the election. Russia, if youre listening....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Muahahaha wrote: »

I wonder whats the chances of the tax returns getting leaked before the election. Russia, if youre listening....

Zero. He can still challenge the Mazars case in the SDNY. All that's new is he's no longer immune to prosecution there. We're not seeing anything before the election. In effect he's succeeded in keeping it all out of the public eye for as long as it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

Muahahaha wrote: »

None. All along I think a big part of their tactics have been kicking the can so to speak down the road on his tax returns long enough to take it past the election next November and todays rulings ensured that will indeed be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He’s ranting on Twitter because he’s an impulsive idiot but it’s a win for him really. None of that info will be released before the election. It’s another thing the Biden camp can hammer him for, and if he gets re-elected then he’ll simply have to face the issue again.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Zero. He can still challenge the Mazars case in the SDNY. All that's new is he's no longer immune to prosecution there. We're not seeing anything before the election. In effect he's succeeded in keeping it all out of the public eye for as long as it matters.

Unless SDNY issues an indictment in October, which is still a possibility, OLC opinion or no.

The only chance of his Financials becoming public was the Congressional case.

The NY one was only ever going to a Grand Jury and would not get leaked.

The House will now have to make a new submission to the lower appeals court and then look for a date for a hearing , followed by a bunch of back and forth and as much delaying as is barely legally possible from the Trump side , aided and abetted by Barr in the DOJ.

There's about as much chance of that happening before the Election as there is of Trump releasing the information himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

MadYaker wrote: »
    He’s ranting on Twitter because he’s an impulsive idiot but it’s a win for him really. None of that info will be released before the election. It’s another thing the Biden camp can hammer him for, and if he gets re-elected then he’ll simply have to face the issue again.

If he gets re-elected then I do not see him having to face the tax issues ever. He has thumbed his nose at the law for the last 4 years and you saw when the Republicans gave him a pass on impeachment that he then went on a revenge payback tour afterward. If he wins in November the next 4 years will make the first 4 look like a warm up act when it comes to thumbing his nose at the law and looking to settle scores and payback.

In fact IMHO even if he loses it will make little difference. Biden and the corporate Democrats will pick up the rug and start sweeping. Just like Obama did with wall street after he got in office it will be words like "time to move on."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Clarence Thomas suggested congress should use impeachment to obtain the documents. Probably the most useless supreme court justice going
    If the Committees wish to investigate alleged wrongdoing by the President and obtain documents from him, the Constitution provides Congress with a special mechanism for doing so: impeachment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement