Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,847 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

If he were great at what he does, we wouldn't know he was doing it.

We don't know about 99% of the stuff he does. Hes been a top political advisor since Nixons whitehouse, he has changed the way elections are run, hes one of the most influential people in political history and yet we're really only hearing of him recently on a grand scale. Mainly by design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I find it hard to believe a public figure would allow himself to be photographed making a white power symbol. I get that it doesn't look great but I personally would need a bit more proof before I'd accept it. Before I get accused of being in denial, let me state that I am simply not sure.

5e297143-f1a9-4f95-ad26-2349eada8bf0.jpg

DnL9RM9XoAAfuN9.jpg

Considering your racist tendancies I would not try and wade into this argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

kilns wrote: »
    Considering your racist tendancies I would not try and wade into this argument

Firstly, I am not racist (what a disgraceful accusation). Secondly, I am not trying to wade into any argument. I am trying to prove a point that the gesture depicted does not necessarily mean white power.

Firstly, I am not racist (what a disgraceful accusation). Secondly, I am not trying to wade into any argument. I am trying to prove a point that the gesture depicted does not necessarily mean white power.

Correct me if I am wrong but arent you the guy who said that "African Kids have lower IQs than European kids" and it is a problem that they are coming to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,490 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And yet it certainly is here, beyond all reasonable doubt.

The OK hand gesture was co-opted by white supremacists at least as far back as 2017, as widely reported on and culturally recognized by that time, and this was in 2018, and those are proud boys. Stone is also infamous for being an unrelenting provocateur. You'd have to feign ignorance of a dizzying amount of context to suggest they are all just posing for a camera and saying "Okay!" instead of "Cheese!"

• Advertisement

Correct me if I am wrong but arent you the guy who said that "African Kids have lower IQs than European kids" and it is a problem that they are coming to Europe.

I wont get into that here because Boards does not like talk of race and IQ correlations. But I suggest you read up on the subject yourself. Here's something to get you started:

https://new-iq-test.com/iq-by-country/

It is certainly true that there is a correlation between IQ and crime

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3402/vgi.v3i0.14834

"A body of research has also demonstrated that individuals with lower IQ levels are more likely to commit more severe (and violent) offences"

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=893324

"entrepreneurs scored quite higher on cognitive scores…"

So the crux of my argument (that is not the topic of discussion on this thread so I'll be leaving it here) is that we are better off taking in people who have as high an IQ as possible (regardless of which country they may be from) as high IQ correlates with economic productivity (on average) and low IQ correlates with crime (on average)

As an aside, is it racist to say Asians are on average shorter than Europeans? Because its true!

https://www.medicinenet.com/height_men/article.htm

Overheal wrote: »
    And yet it certainly is here, beyond all reasonable doubt.

The OK hand gesture was co-opted by white supremacists at least as far back as 2017, as widely reported on and culturally recognized by that time, and this was in 2018, and those are proud boys. Stone is also infamous for being an unrelenting provocateur. You'd have to feign ignorance of a dizzying amount of context to suggest they are all just posing for a camera and saying "Okay!" instead of "Cheese!"

Its possible he is saying "OK" and its possible he is saying "white power" but none of us know for certainty. I am not disagreeing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Its possible he is saying "OK" and its possible he is saying "white power" but none of us know for certainty. I am not disagreeing with you.

the key phrase is beyond reasonable doubt. it is beyond a reasonable doubt that they are doing a white power sign. given who they are no reasonable person could think otherwise. certainty is not required.

And of those 2 possibilities which would you say is the more probable of the 2, all information considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,003 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Reasonable people : It's an ok sign
    Screaming SJW: WHITE POWA OMFG 1! !!!!!1111!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Obama isn't even doing the OK symbol in that pic, he's touching his forefinger to his thumb the way a lot of people do for emphasis in a speech, why even argue this crap?

And of those 2 possibilities which would you say is the more probable of the 2, all information considered.

I get what your saying but I am a person who operates on reason and evidence, not emotion. I will hold off on judgement because I was not there. I could perhaps be persuaded more to your conclusion if say, a video of the incident emerged. Again, I am not disagreeing with you.

ELM327 wrote: »

Nobody said it isn't the OK gesture, however they are also pointing out the context, in which it used to convey "White Power" and has been for years now.

what a surprise that you would post that. when i seen you were the most recent poster i knew exactly what you were going to post. pathetic.

Nobody said it isn't the OK gesture, however they are also pointing out the context, in which it used to convey "White Power" and has been for years now.

a waste of time arguing with that kind of idiotic post

Thargor wrote: »
    Obama isn't even doing the OK symbol in that pic, he's touching his forefinger to his thumb the way a lot of people do for emphasis in a speech, why even argue this crap?

Thanks

I get what your saying but I am a person who operates on reason and evidence, not emotion. I will hold off on judgement because I was not there. I could perhaps be persuaded more to your conclusion if say, a video of the incident emerged. Again, I am not disagreeing with you.

And yet you've been supplied with loads of reason, and evidence. Nobody hear has made an emotional plea about the matter.

Holding off on judgement because you were not there? You'd make a poor juror. "Your honor, I wasn't in the room where the murder took place, yes, there are the defendants fingerprints, DNA, and shells from his handgun recovered at the scene, but I will hold off on judgement because I was not there."

you have no interest in reason and evidence. you just continually waste peoples time by asking for more and more evidence. no amount of evidence seems to be sufficient for you.

a waste of time arguing with that kind of idiotic post

t'was for the benefit of the casual lurker who may be less familiar with this yankee-centric issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

So who do we think the Veep pick will be?

I’d go with Tammy Duckworth

- woman of colour
    - experiences senator
    - significantly younger
    - combat veteran, retired as a lieutenant colonel
    - moderate on gun control

• Advertisement

you have no interest in reason and evidence. you just continually waste peoples time by asking for more and more evidence. no amount of evidence seems to be sufficient for you.

No problem. I'm going to cease talking about the "OK" / "white power" gesture. Nobody's time will be wasted from here on.

No problem. I'm going to cease talking about the "OK" / "white power" gesture. Nobody's time will be wasted from here on.

until the next topic comes up and you start again.

I wont get into that here because Boards does not like talk of race and IQ correlations. But I suggest you read up on the subject yourself. Here's something to get you started:

https://new-iq-test.com/iq-by-country/

It is certainly true that there is a correlation between IQ and crime

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3402/vgi.v3i0.14834

"A body of research has also demonstrated that individuals with lower IQ levels are more likely to commit more severe (and violent) offences"

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=893324

"entrepreneurs scored quite higher on cognitive scores…"

So the crux of my argument (that is not the topic of discussion on this thread so I'll be leaving it here) is that we are better off taking in people who have as high an IQ as possible (regardless of which country they may be from) as high IQ correlates with economic productivity (on average) and low IQ correlates with crime (on average)

As an aside, is it racist to say Asians are on average shorter than Europeans? Because its true!

https://www.medicinenet.com/height_men/article.htm

You are really disturbing and really fit the bill as someone who would follow Trump

I would rather judge someone on the strength of their character not the colour of their skin or IQ score.

Despicable

KiKi III wrote: »

- woman of colour
    - experiences senator
    - significantly younger

I dont think so, I still think it will be Val Deemings, a former head of Orlando police, who can bring something to that debate, woman of colour and could help seal Florida for Biden.

Although Harris is still the favourite, she would be an excellent AG

- woman of colour
    - experiences senator
    - significantly younger

is she politically experienced enough? only a senator for 3 years. 4 years in the house before that. a good pick otherwise.

i was reading an article yesterday that mentioned Karen Bass as a possibility. she would bring out a lot of black voters which biden needs. she is chair of the Congressional Black Caucus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

is she politically experienced enough? only a senator for 3 years. 4 years in the house before that. a good pick otherwise.

Obama got the presidency without much more experience than that.

I would rather judge someone on the strength of their character not the colour of their skin or IQ score.

This is one of the reasons Trump got into power. It is also one of the reasons Brexit passed. People vote with their pockets. They (in general) dont care about feelings or emotions, they care about the bottom line. Its no secret that many people who voted for Brexit and Trump were concerned about rising immigration. This is something that the democrats need to tap into if they want to regain power. I know its harsh but it is reality & the voting patterns of the masses backs that up.

Obama got the presidency without much more experience than that.

And look who else got into the Oval Office with zero experience

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/507146-biden-seeks-to-take-on-trump-over-economy

"$700 billion “Buy American” jobs plan Biden revealed last week, which outlines ways to revive the struggling economy with job creation across various sectors including manufacturing and clean energy. The plan is designed to take aim at Trump’s “America First” economic agenda."

One of Trump's strongest arguments in 2016 was his Buy American, Hire American gimmick. He totally ****ed it up with all the loopholes he allowed into his executive order. If Biden is serious on this issue, the race is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Gesturing like you're hailing a taxi on the street to get a taxi driver's attention is ok. Making the same gesture while taking part in a rally where people carry swastikas is not ok.

You're not fooling anyone, not even yourself, when you try to pretend that they are just communicating that they are ok.

It's absurd to suggest that when you think about it. Have you ever wondered what kind of conversation they had before they all decided to do it? Who the hell decides "Lets to the OK sign to tell the world that we're OK. That way they'll know that we're OK and it's so important that they know that we're OK so let's all do it together."?

It's stupid and you should know better than that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement