Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This is one of the reasons Trump got into power. It is also one of the reasons Brexit passed. People vote with their pockets. They (in general) dont care about feelings or emotions, they care about the bottom line. Its no secret that many people who voted for Brexit and Trump were concerned about rising immigration. This is something that the democrats need to tap into if they want to regain power. I know its harsh but it is reality & the voting patterns of the masses backs that up.

And how exactly is that working out for them then??

Brexit was ENTIRELY about "Feelings & Emotions" it has never had any basis in evidentiary fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Overheal wrote: »
    And look who else got into the Oval Office with zero experience

i think we can all agree that candidates with no political experience are not a good idea.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

i think we can all agree that candidates with no political experience are not a good idea.

The actual issue is someone without Political experience getting the job , but THINKING that they know everything , better than anyone else in the history of things.

I have no inherent problem with someone being politically inexperienced with a vision and passion that surrounds themselves with experts and advisors that will give them objective information to help them make decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The actual issue is someone without Political experience getting the job , but THINKING that they know everything , better than anyone else in the history of things.

I have no inherent problem with someone being politically inexperienced with a vision and passion that surrounds themselves with experts and advisors that will give them objective information to help them make decisions.

fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Brexit was ENTIRELY about "Feelings & Emotions" it has never had any basis in evidentiary fact.

I love that argument. That the right is soley based on facts and the left is just running around making decisions based on emotions like a two year old with a tantrum.

Such a sensible argument based on facts, not like an argument a seven year old would make based on generalizations and falsehoods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭francois

Service, thankfulness, compassion, endurance, creativity, justice, peace, wisdom, hope, humility, and faith.

And murdering 100's of 1000's of native Americans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Sounds like something Project Fear (remember them?) would say!

Along with the fact is would massively devalue their currency and leave them in awful negotiating positions with potential trading partners, as well as many businesses leaving the country. Pft, typical project fear. Good thing the Brits voted with their wallets on that on eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I love that argument. That the right is soley based on facts and the left is just running around making decisions based on emotions like a two year old with a tantrum.

Such a sensible argument based on facts, not like an argument a seven year old would make based on generalizations and falsehoods.

Cambridge Analytica and their likes have done a serious f*cking number on some people, that's for sure.

gmisk wrote: »
    How many of those do you think Trump embodies?

Somewhere between none and sweet f*ck all, but given that certain religious personalities in the U.S. are not much more than televised grifters, is it any surprise that they endorse him?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

KiKi III wrote: »
    So who do we think the Veep pick will be?

I’d go with Tammy Duckworth

- woman of colour
    - experiences senator
    - significantly younger
    - combat veteran, retired as a lieutenant colonel
    - moderate on gun control

Im hoping for Kamala Harris as I have her backed at 3/1 a couple of months ago. But strategically I think Val Dennings in Florida would be the best pick. Its a battleground state and Biden has a lead of between 5%-9% by recent polls, Dennings could help shore up that lead and help the Dems secure 29 Electoral College votes which is huge. Its hard to see a path to the White House for Trump if he loses Florida to Biden. All that said Ive only seen her speak a couple of times so not sure yet of how good she is.

The other side of the Dems thinking though is Biden being a one term president which places extra importance on the Veep pick. Whoever gets it now has to be someone with a good chance of winning it in 2024 and with that in mind they very well go for Kamala Harris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Im hoping for Kamala Harris as I have her backed at 3/1 a couple of months ago. But strategically I think Val Dennings in Florida would be the best pick. Its a battleground state and Biden has a lead of between 5%-9% by recent polls, Dennings could help shore up that lead and help the Dems secure 29 Electoral College votes which is huge. Its hard to see a path to the White House for Trump if he loses Florida to Biden. All that said Ive only seen her speak a couple of times so not sure yet of how good she is.

The other side of the Dems thinking though is Biden being a one term president which places extra importance on the Veep pick. Whoever gets it now has to be someone with a good chance of winning it in 2024 and with that in mind they very well go for Kamala Harris.

That counts against Duckworth too; since she can never be president as she was born in Thailand.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,490 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That counts against Duckworth too; since she can never be president as she was born in Thailand.

No she's just as eligible as Ted Cruz, who was born in Canada. Both are considered natural born citizens having had US citizenship since birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Can she even be VP as she would be expected to step up as POTUS if anything happened to Biden?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

The idea that most people vote with their pocket books in mind is risible. I wish it were true as then the Republicans in the US and the tories would be out of power. People voting against their own best economic interests is pretty much par for the course really.

Can she even be VP as she would be expected to step up as POTUS if anything happened to Biden?

Her mother was a non national and her father was a US citizen serving in the Marine Corps.

Chapter 3 - United States Citizens at Birth (INA 301 and 309):

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-h-chapter-3

"3. Child of U.S. Citizen Parent and Alien Parent [9]
    A child born outside of the United States and its outlying possessions acquires citizenship at birth if at the time of birth:

One parent is an alien and the other parent is a U.S. citizen; and​

The U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States for at least 5 years, including at least 2 years after 14 years of age.

Time abroad counts as physical presence in the United States if the time abroad was:

As a member of the U.S. armed forces in honorable status;​

Under the employment of the U.S. government or other qualifying organizations; or​

As a dependent unmarried son or daughter of such persons."

US Law holds that a US Citizen is a natural born citizen if they have had citizenship since birth. Ergo, she is a natural born US citizen, and therefore eligible to be President.

I'm not clear that her father was active duty when she was born but he was definitely present in the US for at least 5 years, including 2 years after 14 years of age. He was deployed to Vietnam during the Korean War, which was in the 50s, she was born in the 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

This is one of the reasons Trump got into power. It is also one of the reasons Brexit passed. People vote with their pockets. They (in general) dont care about feelings or emotions, they care about the bottom line. Its no secret that many people who voted for Brexit and Trump were concerned about rising immigration. This is something that the democrats need to tap into if they want to regain power. I know its harsh but it is reality & the voting patterns of the masses backs that up.

no people voted on their prejudices, fear and hatred

no point arguing this point with someone of your beliefs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I've seen some people I know post on facebook that they are no longer Trump fans "that they will vote Biden.....unless he picks some crazy far left loony for his VP"

Of the rumoured candidates for VP, who would be "left" and who would be "far left loony" :rolleyes:

Excuse the phrasing, it is a serious question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

amdublin wrote: »
    I've seen some people I know post on facebook that they are no longer Trump fans "that they will vote Biden.....unless he picks some crazy far left loony for his VP"

Of the rumoured candidates for VP, who would be "left" and who would be "far left loony" :rolleyes:

Warren is considered pretty far left.

Aside from "The Squad?" I have no idea. Not that any of them are up for contention.

You'd have to probe them between the 3 most likely (IMO): Stacy Abrams, Kamala Harris, and Tammy Duckworth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Regarding VP... I wouldnt be so sure Biden is going to run at all. Based on nothing more than personal feeling, I dont think he is likeable in the slightest. Kanye is going to take votes away from him too. Dont be surprised if Hillary ends up running possibly with Schultz as VP. The August convention has a twist in it mark my words

• Advertisement

Regarding VP... I wouldnt be so sure Biden is going to run at all. Based on nothing more than personal feeling, I dont think he is likeable in the slightest. Kanye is going to take votes away from him too. Dont be surprised if Hillary ends up running possibly with Schultz as VP. The August convention has a twist in it mark my words
    I get what your saying but I am a person who operates on reason and evidence, not emotion.

Tell us more! :rolleyes:

Reason and evidence: Biden is leading everywhere but deep red turf. Even leading in light red states like Texas, which he's now begun campaigning in.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/

Biden is most definitely going to be the candidate that will be run. Posters frequently arrive in to announce Clinton will take over and it's the same old nonsense. Biden is polling really well so clearly viewed well by the public btw.

Nevermind that candidates need 1,991 delegates to receive the nomination and Biden already has 2,633

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/10/799979293/how-many-delegates-do-the-2020-presidential-democratic-candidates-have

feelings indeed. Superdelegates rules have changed for 2020, so they don't come into play here, given that Biden already has met the delegate requirement:

"Superdelegates will no longer vote on the first ballot at the convention unless there is no doubt about the outcome. To win on the first ballot, the frontrunner must secure the majority of pledged delegates available during the nominating contests (primary and caucus) leading up to the Democratic Convention. There are 3,979 total pledged delegates, with the total required being 1,991."

https://www.270towin.com/content/superdelegate-rule-changes-for-the-2020-democratic-nomination

Biden is the nominee. Presumptive only in that the delegates haven't cast their convention vote yet, which is entirely ceremonial at this point, who they will vote for has already been determined by the primary results.

Warren is considered pretty far left.

Correct, but he is not one of the mooted VP's as far as I know!

The list of mooted candidates for VP are all women? Who would be further left than others?

I will be surprised. It is not going to happen. There is no talk of it whatsoever and why would there be.

The above is just pure nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 25,591 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I will be surprised. It is not going to happen. There is no talk of it whatsoever and why would there be.

The above is just pure nonsense

He's consistent if nothing else.

Consistent if nothing else.

Consistently inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Biden not like able? Even Trumps biggest supporters don’t even agree with yiu there

Elizabeth Warren is a woman?

Sorry! Lol. My eyes saw Warren, and my brain told me Sanders. My bad

:D

Silly brain! I turn into my mother more every day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Overheal wrote: »
    Aside from "The Squad?" I have no idea. Not that any of them are up for contention.

You'd have to probe them between the 3 most likely (IMO): Stacy Abrams, Kamala Harris, and Tammy Duckworth.

Does Stacy Abrams have a chance? Read a few articles naming her as the dark horse but then others saying she doesnt have any political experience in Washington like Harris does which is a big disadvantage. The bookies have Abrams priced at 22/1 which is quite the outside shot. Even Michelle Obama is shorter odds and thats not even a possibility, if it were there I think we would have heard noises about it by now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement