Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Does Stacy Abrams have a chance? Read a few articles naming her as the dark horse but then others saying she doesnt have any political experience in Washington like Harris does which is a big disadvantage. The bookies have Abrams priced at 22/1 which is quite the outside shot. Even Michelle Obama is shorter odds and thats not even a possibility, if it were there I think we would have heard noises about it by now.

I'm not sure if she's a contender or not, but she's been a massive asset to the Democratic Party in the last year. She's been leading a massive anti-voter suppression campaign, getting tens of thousands of POC registered to vote - some states only backed Trump by 30k votes, so 50k new voters can make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,490 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Does Stacy Abrams have a chance? Read a few articles naming her as the dark horse but then others saying she doesnt have any political experience in Washington like Harris does which is a big disadvantage. The bookies have Abrams priced at 22/1 which is quite the outside shot. Even Michelle Obama is shorter odds and thats not even a possibility, if it were there I think we would have heard noises about it by now.

:eek:

... Abrams puts Georgia in play, where she narrowly lost governorship under very dark clouds of voter supression, and subsequently destruction of evidence. But I agree someone like Duckworth is a better choice given her total civil service record. I would much rather see Kamala Harris be the Attorney General, as that plays off all of her strengths.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/507146-biden-seeks-to-take-on-trump-over-economy

"$700 billion “Buy American” jobs plan Biden revealed last week, which outlines ways to revive the struggling economy with job creation across various sectors including manufacturing and clean energy. The plan is designed to take aim at Trump’s “America First” economic agenda."

One of Trump's strongest arguments in 2016 was his Buy American, Hire American gimmick. He totally ****ed it up with all the loopholes he allowed into his executive order. If Biden is serious on this issue, the race is over.

Navarro, other Trumpers are pissed off about this, because it is no longer a differential between the two candidates. Though they spin it as copying Trump - where were these people when Melania plagiarized those speeches, eh?

Biden's plan is clearly different from "America First" though, and even with similarities we should be glad to be rid of the America First mantra, having its roots in white nationalism.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/joe-biden-buy-american-plan-navarro?fbclid=IwAR2PBhZNso-im3k_FV9nfbMrD8kxv4VPJ3IA5mhLJHcF1jzKIxvigo-9fAY

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Overheal wrote: »
    :eek:

... Abrams puts Georgia in play, where she narrowly lost governorship under very dark clouds of voter supression, and subsequently destruction of evidence. But I agree someone like Duckworth is a better choice given her total civil service record. I would much rather see Kamala Harris be the Attorney General, as that plays off all of her strengths.

Purely racing terminology, in fact now that I think of it an article I read used those very words.

Like Dennings Ive only seen Abrams speak a couple of times so dont really have an impression of her. Biden seems to have lots of competing reasons for his pick, aside from geography and the ability to carry a state he needs someone who can chip away at Trump, that can come of out the debates with Mike Pence with at least a score draw and who would also be a good pick to be a 2024 nominee. Theres lots of criteria to be filled but no one single candidate excels in all of them. Harris is the front runner for sure but California is a blue state regardless whereas someone like Denning might get him Florida which would be huge.

"ask Joe Biden to define carbon, he won't be able to" - Donald Trump, on defining the 16th element on the periodic table

I am too sober to process what I am listening to.

He also calls Bidens platform "so far right" - what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Breaking News - Another example of voter Fraud!!!!

Trump was right! , they are trying to steal the election. Bloody Democrats!!!!!
    Rep. Steve Watkins (R-Kan.) has been charged with three felonies and a misdemeanor relating to an investigation into whether he illegally voted in a 2019 municipal election, The Kansas City Star reports.

Oh...oh right..hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I think it’s a publicity stunt.
    He won’t run.

Isn’t he a trump supporter?

Called in on the day.

“'Kanye's out': Election strategist hired by Kanye West reveals he has dropped out of the presidential race - but bid was serious with 180 campaign staff hired to help him get on the ballot in Florida and South Carolina”

• Registered Users Posts: 22,003 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

ELM327 wrote: »
    I dont think he was ever seriously in

Sadly , I think he was "serious" about it , however the decision was made during what is described by his family as one of his more significant Mental health episodes.

Hopefully he takes the time to get himself well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,003 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Sadly , I think he was "serious" about it , however the decision was made during what is described by his family as one of his more significant Mental health episodes.

Hopefully he takes the time to get himself well.
    I have my own direct experience of mental health issues, going "off meds" is not a good path to take and he needs someone to help him with his healthcare. Not a bunch of yes men.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

ELM327 wrote: »
    I have my own direct experience of mental health issues, going "off meds" is not a good path to take and he needs someone to help him with his healthcare. Not a bunch of yes men.

Indeed, and this is why I couldn't understand his wife seemingly backing the bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭randd1

baaba maal wrote: »
    Indeed, and this is why I couldn't understand his wife seemingly backing the bid.

The perpetually attention seeking wife that has reality show that details the minutiae of her life backing a bid that would help her become even more famous?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

randd1 wrote: »
    The perpetually attention seeking wife that has reality show that details the minutiae of her life backing a bid that would help her become even more famous?

I hear you. I meant in the sense I can't understand how anybody would do such a thing- her form certainly suggests a selfish motive alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The Lincoln Project out with another great ad attacking Trump and praising Fauci. They really know how to make Trump look like a fool and if only turns a tiny percentage of those who voted for Trump the last time it will be job done

I cant fathom how any American with a brain can side with Trump over Fauci.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Called in on the day.

“'Kanye's out': Election strategist hired by Kanye West reveals he has dropped out of the presidential race - but bid was serious with 180 campaign staff hired to help him get on the ballot in Florida and South Carolina”

Kanye is as mad as a box of frogs. More than likely assumed you can just rock up and run for president without scoping the requirements to do so.

His missus was probably loving the attention. I likely a calculated relationship on her part. A bit like FLOTUS now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭randd1

kilns wrote: »
    The Lincoln Project out with another great ad attacking Trump and praising Fauci. They really know how to make Trump look like a fool and if only turns a tiny percentage of those who voted for Trump the last time it will be job done

Never underestimate the enduring power of the attractiveness of brashness or simplicity to the stupid. Eg Nascar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Overheal wrote: »
    "ask Joe Biden to define carbon, he won't be able to" - Donald Trump, on defining the 16th element on the periodic table

I am too sober to process what I am listening to.

He also calls Bidens platform "so far right" - what

Carbon is the 6th, though I'd forgive the error when thinking of Trump, sulfur is 16th.

Carbon is the 6th, though I'd forgive the error when thinking of Trump, sulfur is 16th.

Damn!

It’s been a long time since I even looked at the table. I remembered poorly :(

• Advertisement

Washington Post have revealed their findings that the US Government has spent USD970k at Trump properties since he became president.

No corruption here...........................................

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Washington Post have revealed their findings that the US Government has spent USD970k at Trump properties since he became president.

that figure is a crock. every time trump golfs at mar a lago the Secret Service is billed by the resort for rooms, food, drink, golf carts at rack rates. there is no way the real figure is that low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

He charges the US $650 per secret service agent per night to stay at his golf club. I think he charges a fortune to rent them golf carts as well.

Something something good business man, but don't look too closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

notobtuse wrote: »
    An indication why Trump will win, well, to me anyway. Trump spoke at a rally in Wildwood, New Jersey this week. The venue holds 7,400 people, but there were 158,632 requests for tickets to the event. New Jersey is a Democrat stronghold and always considered a safe Democratic bet. The most surprising news in all this is of 73,482 identifiable voters who requested tickets, 10.4% didn't vote in 2016, and 26.3% were self-described Democrats.

Events dear boy events

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

No way do I believe he has only benefitted to the tune of 970k. Only a month after he got elected Saudi Arabia spent a small fortune on hotel rooms in his Washington hotel.
    Lobbyists representing the Saudi government reserved blocks of rooms at President Trump’s Washington, D.C., hotel within a month of Trump’s election in 2016 — paying for an estimated 500 nights at the luxury hotel in just three months, according to organizers of the trips and documents obtained by The Washington Post.

At the time, these lobbyists were reserving large numbers of D.C.-area hotel rooms as part of an unorthodox campaign that offered U.S. military veterans a free trip to Washington — then sent them to Capitol Hill to lobby against a law the Saudis opposed, according to veterans and organizers.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/saudi-funded-lobbyist-paid-for-500-rooms-at-trumps-hotel-after-2016-election/2018/12/05/29603a64-f417-11e8-bc79-68604ed88993_story.html

That is a good ad, the narration is very sober and stark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=93&v=-6wIOKaHMWo&feature=emb_logo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'm surprised its that low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

970k is pocket change to Trump. If he was pulling a fast one, he'd do it for more than that. Just for a bit of context, the tax payer paid about 50/55 million per term on travel and accommodation for Obama. I get it, the money should not be going into Trump's pocket, I agree with that. But if the tax payer is getting a cheaper deal then its not the worst thing in the world.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4889306/Obamas-total-travel-bill-office-hits-105-MILLION.html

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'm surprised its that low

I guess it’s just the federal government. Doesn’t include lobbyists, other nations and the Republican Party

Even with that some hotels are in big trouble financially

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

970k is pocket change to Trump. If he was pulling a fast one, he'd do it for more than that. Just for a bit of context, the tax payer paid about 50/55 million per term on travel and accommodation for Obama. I get it, the money should not be going into Trump's pocket, I agree with that. But if the tax payer is getting a cheaper deal then its not the worst thing in the world.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4889306/Obamas-total-travel-bill-office-hits-105-MILLION.html

Weren't you the one complaining about someone using Wikipedia as as a source, yet here you are linking that rag.

• Advertisement

They're not, and the $970,000 figure WaPo is looking at is Trump property spending specifically for room rentals alone. Golf carts are another separate line item, and cost $588,000 between Trumps election and January 2020 (Wapo link below)

Just 1 month in 2017 taxpayer burden for Trump's travel was $13.6 million, which is about 13x the rate of Obama's term figures you just mentioned. 2 months into Trumps term in office the Secret Service went to Congress and had to ask for a $60M budget increase "to manage presidential travel"

It's not a wonder then that the Trump administration is trying to go to some considerable effort to hide more transparent reporting of these expenses, delaying measures to report the expenditures through the treasury department until FY 2021, after the election:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/01/trump-wants-to-hide-secret-service-cost-of-family-trips.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-company-has-received-at-least-970000-from-us-taxpayers-for-room-rentals/2020/05/14/26d27862-916d-11ea-9e23-6914ee410a5f_story.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement