Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

As an aside, have you used hand sanitizer recently? Because if so, you used a disinfectant that was absorbed through your skin.

Hand sanitizer works on the surface of your skin. It is ineffective against bacteria or viruses inside your body. It is absorbed in minute amounts but even if it was 100% absorbed it still would not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yesterday the #IMPOTUS retweeted that paragon of objectivity and intellect, Chuck Woolery, ex-game show host who had railed on Twitter about Covid-19 being a hoax.

Woolery's son now positive Covid-19. Woolery has deleted his Twitter account. https://thehill.com/homenews/media/507663-chuck-woolery-deletes-twitter-account-after-announcing-his-son-has-coronavirus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Hand sanitizer works on the surface of your skin. It is ineffective against bacteria or viruses inside your body. It is absorbed in minute amounts but even if it was 100% absorbed it still would not work.

Trump didn't say anything about injecting hand sanitizer.

yea alcohol

Alcohol is a disinfectant

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Can you not just accept he shouldn't have said anything about using disinfectant internally and move on? Why do you insist on defending the most ridiculous things he says and does?

Can you not just accept he shouldn't have said anything about using disinfectant internally and move on? Why do you insist on defending the most ridiculous things he says and does?

Yeah your right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Good luck injecting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

No, you mentioned hand sanitizer and it was wrong. It's more important than ever that made-up science is challenged because people are literally dying as a result of people saying stupid things just to win an argument. You can apply that to yourself or to the Donald.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Just to be clear, Trump NEVER used the word "bleach". You are putting words in his mouth and evidently some posters have since taken that above quote as fact. Also, President Trump and his advisors were spitballing at the briefing. He was not giving formal directives & he did not suggest citizens inject disinfectant. The whole situation was taken out of context by the biased media and lapped up by gullible people. If Hillary had of said the exact same thing it would never have been mentioned.

As an aside, have you used hand sanitizer recently? Because if so, you used a disinfectant that was absorbed through your skin.

You're another example of someone that's gone so far down the Trump rabbit-hole, you can no longer see anything past the "Trump is God and the media is to blame for everything" argument.

I have zero time for Hillary, but the fact is that Hillary Clinton would never have said something so obviously dumb in front of the WORLD MEDIA. I've seen people saying that Trump was "just speculating" and "throwing out ideas" in that press conference. If he was, is that appropriate? Should a world leader use a press conference to bounce ideas that are so obviously idiotic? The simple answer is "No they shouldn't" any anyone with any sort of semi-functioning brain would know this.

People blaming the media for Trump's negative image are not living in the real world. While outlets like CNN and MSNBC are obviously left-leaning, the vast majority of the time they are simply reporting on idiotic things that Trump has actually said. Where there's actually video footage of him saying these things. And yet Trump supporters blame the media for this. It's utterly unbelievable.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    You're another example of someone that's gone so far down the Trump rabbit-hole

Look I'm going to go for now but just on Hillary not saying anything dumb... she has said and done some pretty dumb things over the years.... hot sauce, deplorables, Libya, clasified documents on servers, defending a peadophile she knew was guilty. I could go on and on

No, you mentioned hand sanitizer and it was wrong. It's more important than ever that made-up science is challenged because people are literally dying as a result of people saying stupid things just to win an argument. You can apply that to yourself or to the Donald.

I mentioned hand sanitizer to argue the fact that we already use disinfectants on our bodies. I never suggested it should be injected nor did Trump. Have you anything to say about posters mentioning bleach? Because neither myself or Trump said that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,930 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It was bleach.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Yeah your right

and what's on his left?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

Just to be clear, Trump NEVER used the word "bleach". You are putting words in his mouth and evidently some posters have since taken that above quote as fact. Also, President Trump and his advisors were spitballing at the briefing. He was not giving formal directives & he did not suggest citizens inject disinfectant. The whole situation was taken out of context by the biased media and lapped up by gullible people. If Hillary had of said the exact same thing it would never have been mentioned.

Yep Dr Birx was fully engaged in spitballing with Trump

You're so perceptive. You can see things the rest of us just don't

• Registered Users Posts: 21,698 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Trump is NOT intelligent , he is not well-read or informed on historical or current events. He would appear to have a limited ability to process information of even the most trivial complexity.

That is an undeniable fact.

He is however what we'd call a "cute hoor" - As someone else described him earlier , he is a world class snake oil salesman. A bizarre, insensitive combination of Walter Mitty and the Boy who cried Wolf.

He does have an ability to "read a room" but only to the extent of being to target peoples fears and weaknesses. He has no compassion or empathy.

There is nothing about the man that is worthy of respect or admiration.

Have to disagree with the bit in bold. He has bludgeoned his way through his career, one which is more notable for the failings and bankruptcies more so than any sort of craft or ingenuity.

If his dad didn't have money, he'd have 20 different jobs throughout his career as he got found out in each one of them and would probably have more than a few convictions to think about in to his retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

But after his spitballing about injecting disinfectant, and his supporters coming out and explaining what he actually meant, didn't Trump come out the next day and explain he was being sarcastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

But after his spitballing about injecting disinfectant, and his supporters coming out and explaining what he actually meant, didn't Trump come out the next day and explain he was being sarcastic?

Indeed, nothing like the POTUS using a Covid briefing to 'joke' with the media. I mean, they'r'e not serious events, amiright?

And yet, after another brain-dead press interaction where his supporters said he was joking, he said, 'I never kid.' So, was he kidding when he said he was joking with the reporters to see what would happen? The lies get so twisted it's impossible to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I actually don’t think he’s that stupid. I think he’s average intelligence but he’s compromised by his narcissistic and impulsive personality. It overrides his ability to be logical or to think things through.

It was bleach.

You are wrong. Go ahead and watch the briefing again, he did not mention the word bleach.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,930 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You are wrong. Go ahead and watch the briefing again, he did not mention the word bleach.

The defence by semantics is pathetically weak.
    "And then I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52407177

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

Have to disagree with the bit in bold. He has bludgeoned his way through his career, one which is more notable for the failings and bankruptcies more so than any sort of craft or ingenuity.

Not a Trump guy but the focus on banruptcies is... weird. Approaching American banruptcy laws with an Irish mindset is foolish. The system over there is set-up to encourage you to avail of that.

I mean Henry Ford is in your list of failures if you zoom in on it. There's plenty to criticise the guy on, why this I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You're right and The Donald is right. So, it's all good now. No bleach but you can inject yourself with Dettol. Let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The fact that there is even an argument over what the US President suggested people have injected into them says enough.

One can argue over whether it was bleach, light, dettol, whatever but it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. What matters is that a US president would suggest taking anything like that internally in the first place.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If his dad didn't have money, he'd have 20 different jobs throughout his career as he got found out in each one of them and would probably have more than a few convictions to think about in to his retirement.

I know what you mean , I was thinking more about his Public persona and his election etc. He managed to make a lot of people think he was a business demi-god and worthy of election to the highest office in the US despite having absolutely no discernible skills or abilities beyond an infinite capacity for bulls!it and lies

Clearly he is an utterly crap business man , although plenty of banks seemed willing to keep giving him money for long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I know what you mean , I was thinking more about his Public persona and his election etc. He managed to make a lot of people think he was a business demi-god and worthy of election to the highest office in the US despite having absolutely no discernible skills or abilities beyond an infinite capacity for bulls!it and lies

Clearly he is an utterly crap business man , although plenty of banks seemed willing to keep giving him money for long enough.

When you owe the bank $1,000, the problem is yours. When you owe the bank $1,000,000,000, the problem is theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,486 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Are you blind? I included his full verbatim quote so as to eliminate all ambiguity about what he said. You even quoted me quoting his quote, in this post ^ ! You are yelling at the clouds.

So is bleach. He said as much about bleach as he did about hand sanitizer, but here you are complaining he meant alcohol and not bleach. You’re acting the fool.

Look I'm going to go for now but just on Hillary not saying anything dumb... she has said and done some pretty dumb things over the years.... hot sauce, deplorables, Libya, clasified documents on servers, defending a peadophile she knew was guilty. I could go on and on

It’s over. She lost. Get over it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I really think that the pressure to open schools could be the final straw for a lot of voters and could do serious damage to both Trump and the GOP overall.

Especially after yesterdays "Science can't get in the way" comments.

Despite Trump's pressure, most Americans think it is unsafe to reopen schools: Reuters/Ipsos poll
    Just 26% of American adults said they thought it was safe for schools in their community to bring students back. Another 55% felt they were not safe, and 19% were not sure.

The response was split along party lines: Half of Republicans said they thought schools were safe, compared with only one in 10 Democrats.

I know he sees it as a key step to re-opening the economy in that a lot of people can't go back to work until they have school/childcare (no different to here in that respect) , but ALL of the evidence and public support is against him.

Even 50% of Republicans aren't in favour of reopening.

If they continue to push , this will kill off the middle class suburban vote that was so critical to him last time.

Not his first or last bad mistake , but it could be a true tipping point.

The thing about opening schools is Trump begging begging begging for it to happen, threatening to deport students if it doesn’t happen (since abandoned push after swift and logical outcry, I don’t think Trump or ICE bothered to think about how much foreign students contribute to colleges), is that if we do fling the schools open it will be soon enough that we could see a third wave before the election, and that would pretty much seal the deal for his re election prospects. Not that he won’t spin up and down that he was never a big proponent of opening schools should that come to be. What we don’t want to see is hundreds or thousands of kids crowding ICUs on ventilators etc. and I’m afraid that’s where he wants us to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I don't think its a case of waves in the US,more of a rising tide

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement