Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Overheal wrote: »
    Yes, because it is as of yet entirely pointless, he just wanted to take credit for making something. It would be akin to him, as the President of 1903, establishing the USAF. As it is in fact, the USAF is perfectly capable of fulfilling the role of space presence and interdiction. Even Reagan didn't see otherwise, and that was the man who was starry-eyed (NPI) about the Star Wars program. It also didn't really jive with cultural expectations, where we expect to see organizations that are extensions of extant ones: Starfleet (The Navy), Colonial Marines, etc.

Well that's a fair enough argument except the first part which is speculation.

The importance of satellites and our dependance on them is only growing by the day though; surely it was a problem that would have to be addressed eventually.
    The amount of ridicule he gets because of this is disproportionate; it's a funny subject but the personal attacks are unwarranted.

I would much prefer the US dominate up there rather than China. They gave the rest of us access to their GPS; for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2u2me wrote: »
    Well that's a fair enough argument except the first part which is speculation.

Pretty fair speculation. The other branches were birthed out of necessity - and the Space Force?

Colonial Navy and US Navy: Revolutionary War, critical logisitics warfare against the British imperial navy. Marines: same reason, for ship-to-ship combat and security aboard the colonial navy ships. Coast Guard: act of congress to react to smuggling and to enforce trade law. Army needing no introduction, it was to fight the war on the ground. The Air Force was founded after WW2, and there was plenty, plennnty of impetus for it in that war (Blitzkrieg and Pearl Harbor and the conception of the Nuclear Bomber being the half of it), and having been a kindling thought since the bunker warfare of WWI saw bombs dropped by hand from early 1st generation planes. The Space Force..... ? 'Oh no China has open-license GPS now?' Space has been mercifully non-military and we have our civilian led space agencies for that! The impetus here is clearly Trump wanted to take credit for it because of course he does, he even takes credit for things he had nothing to do with.

The Air Force was founded after WW2, and there was plenty, plennnty of impetus for it in that war (Blitzkrieg and Pearl Harbor and the conception of the Nuclear Bomber being the half of it), and having been a kindling thought since the bunker warfare of WWI saw bombs dropped by hand from early 1st generation planes. The Space Force..... ? 'Oh no China has open-license GPS now?' Space has been mercifully non-military and we have our civilian led space agencies for that! The impetus here is clearly Trump wanted to take credit for it because of course he does, he even takes credit for things he had nothing to do with.

The U.S. War Department created the first antecedent of the U.S. Air Force, as a part of the U.S. Army, on 1 August 1907.
    • Aeronautical Division, Signal Corps (1 August 1907 – 18 July 1914)
    • Aviation Section, Signal Corps (18 July 1914 – 20 May 1918)
    • Division of Military Aeronautics (20 May 1918 to 24 May 1918)
    • U.S. Army Air Service (24 May 1918 to 2 July 1926)
    • U.S. Army Air Corps (2 July 1926 to 20 June 1941) and
    • U.S. Army Air Forces (20 June 1941 to 18 September 1947)

We may not need a spaceforce for another 40 years but it will be needed eventually as technology improves.

The U.S. War Department created the first antecedent of the U.S. Air Force, as a part of the U.S. Army, on 1 August 1907.
    • Aeronautical Division, Signal Corps (1 August 1907 – 18 July 1914)
    • Aviation Section, Signal Corps (18 July 1914 – 20 May 1918)
    • Division of Military Aeronautics (20 May 1918 to 24 May 1918)
    • U.S. Army Air Service (24 May 1918 to 2 July 1926)
    • U.S. Army Air Corps (2 July 1926 to 20 June 1941) and
    • U.S. Army Air Forces (20 June 1941 to 18 September 1947)

We may not need a spaceforce for another 40 years but it will be needed eventually as technology improves.
    Illustrates my point exactly: skipping all that 1907-1947 iteration, the 40 years as you say, and going right to SPACE FORCE. You may as well get a head start on the Division of Teleportation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,590 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/chris-wallace-calls-out-trump-in-new-interview-for-claim-biden-wants-to-defund-the-police-sir-he-does-not/

Chris Wallace has an upcoming interview to air with POTUS but he previewed a clip of it. In it, [b-₩Trump adamantly claims that Biden wants to defund/abolish police.[/b] Wallace corrects him that it's completely untrue. So, Trump barks for a staffer to bring him 'the charter' - a 100 page or so 'compact' from Biden and Bernie Sanders that documents their policy agreements. Wallace says that Trump poured through the document trying to prove his point, taking pot shots at Biden as he went, but that he was unable to find any indication within the document that Biden supports defunding or abolishing the police. Wallace also noted that as he did so, Trump complained of the heat (they are seated outside the WH) - and he points out the idea to have the interview outside was none other than Donald Trump's.

He then doubles down on this claim on Twitter

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1284282946850086912?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The name calling really bothers me, the American president says things about people that we couldn’t call each other on boards. It reflects very badly on his supporters that they either don’t see this as an issue or that they are so stupid they fall for it.

salmocab wrote: »
    The name calling really bothers me, the American president says things about people that we couldn’t call each other on boards. It reflects very badly on his supporters that they either don’t see this as an issue or that they are so stupid they fall for it.

It just shows us everyday what an unstable man child he really is, he is so insecure that even as an adult holding the highest office in the world he still has to resort to calling people who disagree with him silly little names.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I hate when people blame others for things they didn't actually do that's what gets me. I guess that makes me a Trump zealot in today's day and age.

Attack him for his tax returns(or lack thereof), his ego and his personality, his way of conducting himself or his policies and I'll be with you on that.

Attack him for his 'orangeness', "he advocated to inject bleach", Russia, incest, spaceforce, having a sore shoulder, try to silence him, etc......etc....... and not only do you lose me, but I start to seriously doubt your integrity and your character.
    No, spending your days defending this lunacy and accusing anyone who criticizes dear leader of having "Trump Derangement Syndrome" does that.

If you're trying to pretend to be a devils advocate/they're all as bad as each other type you should probably avoid easy giveaways like TDS/libtard etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭francois

quote from Scaramucci in today's Guardian

..."I found that when I was briefing him, I had to put pictures of him in the briefing. When I put the pictures in, it was a good sign, and when I didn’t put the pictures in, you couldn’t get him to focus on it.
    ...Here’s the bad news, though. Even if you got him to focus on it, he wouldn’t listen to you anyway because he’s so maniacally narcissistic."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'll never tire of him calling Joe Biden "corrupt". How stupid does he think that people are, exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I'll never tire of him calling Joe Biden "corrupt". How stupid does he think that people are, exactly?

Pretty stupid, 60 million voted for him first time round. Probably still get 55 million this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Look, I'm not arguing either way. I'm just throwing some thoughts out on the issue of Biden & possible corruption.

Firstly, I think it is strange that his son was on the board of Burisma. He was paid 1 million dollars per year with no experience in the energy business and he doesn't speak Ukrainian or Russian. I'm not sure what he brought to the table but it looks strange. I could be wrong, its just interesting that's all I'm saying.

Secondly, Biden openly admitted to holding back loans until the Ukraine "prosecutor general" was fired. I'm not an expert on legal issues, but is this not an example of "quid pro quo"? My understanding of quid pro quo is that it is not necessarily illegal, but it is illegal to use it for political reasons. Its worth noting that the prosecutor in question is Viktor Shokin. Shokin was actively investigating corruption allegations of Burisma at the time. Now, again, I could be wrong on that. I just think it is interesting and worth discussing so we can all get to the truth weather that be Bidens innocence or guilt.

Watch from 01:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCSF3reVr10

Thirdly, why did Biden lend 20 million dollars of tax payers money to his friend John Hynansky? And why did Hynansky then loan 500,000 to Joe Bidens brother? Is Hynansky or his interests donating to Biden's 2020 campaign?

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/15/james-biden-bungalow-ukraine-donor-1463645

Further reading:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/01/31/joe-biden-must-explain-his-ukraine-dealings/

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-profitable-business-of-being-joe-bidens-brother

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/ukraine-court-forces-probe-into-biden-role-in-firing-of-prosecutor-viktor-shokin/2020/02/27/92710222-5983-11ea-8efd-0f904bdd8057_story.html

Just to be clear, I am pro Trump but I'm not having a go at Biden or supporting Trump here. I'm just trying to discuss all of the issues. I'd like to know weather there is any substance to Trumps claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Thirdly, why did Biden lend 20 million dollars of tax payers money to his friend John Hynansky? And why did Hynansky then loan 500,000 to Joe Bidens brother? Is Hynansky or his interests donating to Biden's 2020 campaign?

Biden wrote the check? He signed it?

Biden's pal Hynansky is a US citizen, in case that's not clear. And, the question for you is, was the loan paid back?

Igotadose wrote: »
    Biden wrote the check? He signed it?

Biden's pal Hynansky is a US citizen, in case that's not clear. And, the question for you is, was the loan paid back?

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing for for against Biden here. He could well be innocent of all the accusations. I don't know the answer to those questions you posted above. As far as I am aware, he is American with Ukrainian heritage. He has business interests all over the world, including Ukraine and the US.

https://www.ukraine.the-report.com/interview/john-hynansky/

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing for for against Biden here. He could well be innocent of all the accusations. I don't know the answer to those questions you posted above. As far as I am aware, he is American with Ukrainian heritage. He has business interests all over the world, including Ukraine and the US.

But, you're accusing Biden of loaning him taxpayer $$. How did he manage that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Biden is mostly of Irish heritage with some French and English. Either you're making stuff up or you might want to steer clear of some websites you're visiting.

Biden is mostly of Irish heritage with some French and English. Either you're making stuff up or you might want to steer clear of some websites you're visiting.

We were talking about John Hynansky, who is Ukrainian/American

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

We were talking about John Hynansky, who is Ukrainian/American

Ah right. I hate being proved wrong on the internet. That's the rest of the day ruined now.

But, you're accusing Biden of loaning him taxpayer $$. How did he manage that?

As I have stated, I am not accusing him of anything. I am discussing the accusations that have already been made against him by others in the articles I provided. In an article already linked (I'll link it again in this post), it is claimed his friend John Hynansky received $20 million from OPIC (a US government institution). Again, I don't know weather the loan was paid back, I could be all above board and legal etc etc.

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/biden-delaware-way-graft/

Ah right. I hate being proved wrong on the internet. That's the rest of the day ruined now.

In hindsight, it was probably badly worded on my part :o

• Advertisement

As I have stated, I am not accusing him of anything. I am discussing the accusations that have already been made against him by others in the articles I provided. In an article already linked (I'll link it again in this post), it is claimed his friend John Hynansky received $20 million from OPIC (a US government institution). Again, I don't know weather the loan was paid back, I could be all above board and legal etc etc.

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/biden-delaware-way-graft/

By all accounts from the article, it was above board. I can't find out if it was paid back - but that's irrelevant. You specifically said:

So, I think we've established that
    1) Hynansky is a private US citizen - that's pretty easy :)
    2) Joe Biden did NOT 'lend 20 million dollars....' That's your claim, but refuted now
    3) Hynansky borrowed the money from the USG via the OPIC program years before he loaned $500,000 to Joe Biden's brother - a family friend. Kind of like Kushners/Trumps

2) Joe Biden did NOT 'lend 20 million dollars....' That's your claim, but refuted now

Absolutely, my bad.

Thargor wrote: »
    No, spending your days defending this lunacy and accusing anyone who criticizes dear leader of having "Trump Derangement Syndrome" does that.

If you're trying to pretend to be a devils advocate/they're all as bad as each other type you should probably avoid easy giveaways like TDS/libtard etc.

You've perfectly summarized TDS for me. The part you choose to highlight in my quote is very telling. Instead of addressing the cogent argument I was making you decide to attack me instead.

TDS is a actually pretty evil; it gets otherwise good and moral people to think and act like children.

salmocab wrote: »

Which threads on boards have the most name calling?

The Donald Trump thread(s) and the Gemma thread, and not by the 'Trump supporters'.

Which threads on boards have the most name calling?

The Donald Trump thread(s) and the Gemma thread, and not by the 'Trump supporters'.

Trump calls people names and you don't say a word.

Stranger on the Internet calls Trump a name and you whinge about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Obviously strangers on the internet should be held to a higher standard than the US president

Biden has started getting intelligence briefings (again)

https://www.mediaite.com/election-2020/joe-biden-reveals-hes-now-getting-intel-briefings-warns-russia-still-engaged-in-trying-to-delegitimize-our-electoral-process/

Here to remind us that Russia is still up to its modus operandi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Very concerned with Biden’s kid’s business dealings. Have you any concerns at all about Ivanka Trump securing extensive trademarks in China whilst working as a White House advisor?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Biden has started getting intelligence briefings (again)

https://www.mediaite.com/election-2020/joe-biden-reveals-hes-now-getting-intel-briefings-warns-russia-still-engaged-in-trying-to-delegitimize-our-electoral-process/

Here to remind us that Russia is still up to its modus operandi

Good, as opposed to Trump, who should be getting intelligence tests rather than briefings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Good, as opposed to Trump, who should be getting intelligence tests rather than briefings.
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement