Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He threatened them with nuclear war.

And blew up the Inter-Korean Liason Office just a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

What about his efforts with North Korea?

Like trying to gaslight his insults of 'little rocket man' to Kim into actually trying to say he's saying as a compliment and getting a signed CD of Elton John's Rocket Man delivered to him via Mike Pompeo?

Both chambers have based separate spending bills by overwhelming majorities that will both rename confederate bases, something Trump threatened to veto however these are veto-proof majorities, pending the final vote on the reconciled version of the composite bill

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/just-in-senate-passes-740-billion-defense-bill-with-provision-to-remove-confederate-names-off-military-bases/

Meanwhile Trump caved to pressure to cancel the Jacksonville convention in late August, having earlier this week had the administration affirm it was absolutely going to happen and they were not considering alternative sites.

Also topical, the DOJ inspector general has launched an investigation into Trumps use off force at Lafayette Square and in Portland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 engleburt

Biden said he wants to ban production of ICE cars, just handed Trump Michigan and any oil states.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

engleburt wrote: »
    Biden said he wants to ban production of ICE cars, just handed Trump Michigan and any oil states.
    Where did he say that? He leads Trump by 7.6% there currently.

Also just pointing out for anyone confused that ICE = internal combustible engine, not the folks who throw children in cages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Great post. Here's a few more...

Hillary Clinton: "We came, we saw, he died!"

Joe Biden: "If you dont vote for me, you aint black!"

Dear oh dear. This is just getting sad and pitiful.

First off, you're still shíting on about Clinton. Let it go. She lost. Get over it.

Secondly, for every slightly embarrassing gaffe from Biden, there are hundreds from Trump and Trump's are off the charts compared to the gaffe-prone Biden.

This can be demonstrated by the fact that you keep going back to memes that are well past their sell-by date while this thread and the world at large gets daily laughs from his twitter tantrums, bragging about passing tests that could be passed by a young child, nonsensicle ramblings, stupid predictions and terrible medical advice.

Where did he say that? He leads Trump by 7.6% there currently.

Also just pointing out for anyone confused that ICE = internal combustible engine, not the folks who throw children in cages.

This is what I find, which doesn't mention a ban but does mention investment in EVs

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2020/07/14/car-dependency-baked-into-joe-bidens-2-trillion-climate-plan/#1c539469f9a1

The details of the Clean Cars for America policy do not mention any ban:

https://www.democrats.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Clean%20Cars%20for%20America%20-%20Detailed%20Summary.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

What about his efforts with North Korea?

How did that work out?

Trump got a nice letter, some people got a commemorative coin and NK got enough time to improve their weapons program.

The stupid gobshíte got played because his ego is easily manipulated by flattery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Is Biden gonna win by just basically doing nothing?? He must be sitting at home thanking the Chinese for the coronavirus. Trump would have walked this election had it not happened, now only reason he is still in it is because the opponent is a non-entity.

Overheal wrote: »
    This is what I find, which doesn't mention a ban but does mention investment in EVs

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2020/07/14/car-dependency-baked-into-joe-bidens-2-trillion-climate-plan/#1c539469f9a1

The details of the Clean Cars for America policy do not mention any ban:

https://www.democrats.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Clean%20Cars%20for%20America%20-%20Detailed%20Summary.pdf

Found it.

Not much of a ban more of a goal to have emissions producing passenger cars phased out of new sales by 2035.
    : Congress should expedite deployment of zero-emission technologies in the
    sectors where they are already available while making new gasoline- and diesel-powered vehicles as
    clean as possible. This should include setting strong greenhouse gas emissions standards for cars,
    heavy-duty trucks, and aviation; enacting a national sales standard to achieve 100% sales of zeroemission cars by 2035 and heavy-duty trucks by 2040; and providing incentives to build out zeroemission fueling infrastructure across the country. Ambitious initiatives to ensure more domestic
    manufacturing of cleaner vehicles and their components must accompany these policies. At the same
    time, Congress should establish a Low Carbon Fuel Standard to reduce emissions from remaining
    gasoline-powered vehicles and transportation modes for which electrification may not be an option in
    the short to medium term, such as aviation, long-haul trucking, and shipping. Congress also should
    invest in aggressive research to develop and demonstrate new zero-emission technologies and fuels
    for these harder-to-decarbonize parts of the transportation sector.
    https://climatecrisis.house.gov/sites/climatecrisis.house.gov/files/Climate%20Crisis%20Action%20Plan.pdf

That's not going to lose Michigan, instead they would see economic growth and restructuring by phasing into low emission and zero emission vehicle production. Oil producers don't need catering to, gasoline is a cheap commodity but there will continue for a long time to be a market for petroleum products, they will innovate. After all the commercial spaceflight sector is just wedging into place, and there are still close to 300 million gas guzzling vehicles on the road to keep supplied, there will still be potentially hundreds of millions when new sales go virtually all to zero emissions for light and medium duty. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Is Biden gonna win by just basically doing nothing?? He must be sitting at home thanking the Chinese for the coronavirus. Trump would have walked this election had it not happened, now only reason he is still in it is because the opponent is a non-entity.

If Biden's thanking anyone for Covid, it's Trump for making a mess of it. It's not that difficult to take the advice of medical advisers, keep deaths to a minimum, and watch your poll numbers increase. But he failed miserably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Im heading to the elections as an EC Observer for a 6 week period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Person. Woman. Man. TV. Camera.

Did I get that right???? Goddammit that's a tough mental workout.

Anyone who gets the order right is the greatest smartest most tremendously intelligent person in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Liamo57 wrote: »
    Im heading to the elections as an EC Observer for a 6 week period.

Fair play.

Its not everyone who can say that their work was criticised by the President of the United States. A story for the grandkids.

"Ssssuuhhhhh gonna be just fine"

New LP Ad - and it's shaping up to be everything I knew a general election ad campaign would become: people who have been simply cataloguing what Trump says to remind everyone how horrible he's been over time, in this case horrible on Covid leadership. All Trump has been able to do is run ads that run on baseless conjecture and fearmongering, not to mention falsehoods like saying Biden wants to defund police (link).

Airing in the swing states I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Trump just flat out cancelled some GOP convention event in Florida :pac: I commend him for it but it won’t go down well with the usual suspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

MadYaker wrote: »
    Trump just flat out cancelled some GOP convention event in Florida :pac: I commend him for it but it won’t go down well with the usual suspects.

No it'll be fine. If he came out at any point and unequivocally said it's real, totally not a hoax, is very serious and can kill a lot of people, and that proper strong measures need to be taken, I absolutely guarantee 85-90% of those opposed to it would fall in line immediately.

You need to remember it's a cult, and he's the cult leader. They do as told, so long as the cult leader says to.

MadYaker wrote: »

Not some event, the event. The Republican National Convention. Already kicked out of having it in NC, weeks prior.

The convention's official business meetings were always set to remain in Charlotte, N.C., and Trump said on Thursday that those would go on as planned.

But the party's big events, including Trump’s prime-time nomination speech, which the party decided to move to Jacksonville only last month, will move online, the president suggested.

“We're going to do some other things with tele-rallies and online the week that we're discussing, which would be really good. I think we're going to do it well,” Trump said, vowing that he would still deliver a speech “in a different form.”

“We didn't want to take any chances,” the president said in his abrupt announcement, acknowledging what public health experts had long warned: “There could be nothing like our last convention, unfortunately.”

“It's a different world, and it will be for a little while,” he conceded.

Trump’s comments came on the same day that the U.S. surpassed 4 million known cases of coronavirus, a milestone that came just 15 days after the country marked its 3 millionth known case.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/23/trump-cancels-gop-convention-jacksonville-380622

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Person. Woman. Man. TV. Camera.

Did I get that right???? Goddammit that's a tough mental workout.

Anyone who gets the order right is the greatest smartest most tremendously intelligent person in the room.

My dad flicked on sky this evening and The Chase was on but he switched to sky news. In a split second i read the question and the four possible answers, I can tell them now, though I may not get them in the right order and forego the extra points so I'm not a genius of Donalds level.

Perhaps if his example had been more mundane stuff it would be more believable but someone on another thread suggested he was just saying what he say in front of him, man, woman, camera ,TV. All things you get at a press conference.

Trump tonight spouted nonsense on television about sending 50 to 70 thousand federal agents into Democrat-controlled cities.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/trump-suggests-possible-deployment-of-50000-75000-federal-agents-to-help-cities-we-can-solve-these-problems-so-fast/
    “We want to go in and help the cities, we want help Chicago, we want to help all of them,” Trump said on Fox News. “Detroit is having problems. A very good police chief in Detroit but they are having problems. We’ll go into all the cities, any of the cities. We’ll put in 50,000, 60,000 people that really know what they are doing. And they are strong, tough, and we can solve these problems so fast. But as you know, we have to be invited in.”

Of note: DHS has 240,000 total employees, per its website, and, as of 2016, the agency employed roughly 62,000 full-time law enforcement officers. That number includes roughly 38,000 Customs and Border Protection officers, 12,000 ICE officers, more than 5,000 Secret Service agents, and nearly 1,000 Federal Protection Service agents. The Justice Department includes another 44,000 full-time law enforcement agents, among them the FBI, ATF, and DEA.

To get to the numbers he's boasting about you'd have to pull half the entire law enforcement apparatus of DHS and Justice Dept off of regular duty, which would be insanity in a word. If he's actually serious, he's a complete maniac. If he just thinks bluffing/threatening about it like this will win him approval, he's also a maniac. He's also just a complete maniac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

My dad flicked on sky this evening and The Chase was on but he switched to sky news. In a split second i read the question and the four possible answers, I can tell them now, though I may not get them in the right order and forego the extra points so I'm not a genius of Donalds level.

Perhaps if his example had been more mundane stuff it would be more believable but someone on another thread suggested he was just saying what he say in front of him, man, woman, camera ,TV. All things you get at a press conference.

You definitely wouldn't get the bonus points, The chase only has 3 answers to remember :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I said it on this thread. He can't even be honest about the test he "aced".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Was Trump doing a tribute to sober Father Jack or Ron Swanson typing every word he knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

pjohnson wrote: »
    Was Trump doing a tribute to sober Father Jack or Ron Swanson typing every word he knows?

That would be an ecumenical matter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

If Biden's thanking anyone for Covid, it's Trump for making a mess of it. It's not that difficult to take the advice of medical advisers, keep deaths to a minimum, and watch your poll numbers increase. But he failed miserably.

This is just it, he could have been a wartime president without a war. Look at the bounce Varadkar got here off the back of Covid. Had our elections been a couple of months later FG would be looking at close to a majority on their own.

Trump was given a golden opportunity to guarantee his election in November and just like everything else he touches he managed to turn it into a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,848 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You definitely wouldn't get the bonus points, The chase only has 3 answers to remember :pac:

It's hilarious that he's trying to push the idea that he somehow got extra points in the test due to how well he did, as if it's possible to do so well in a cognitive assessment test that not only do you prove you don't have cognitive impairment, but that they give you bonus marks for being so not cognitively impaired.

Penn wrote: »
    It's hilarious that he's trying to push the idea that he somehow got extra points in the test due to how well he did, as if it's possible to do so well in a cognitive assessment test that not only do you prove you don't have cognitive impairment, but that they give you bonus marks for being so not cognitively impaired.

just another casual lie. there are no extra points for getting them in order. here is a sample MOCA test that would be very close to the one he took.

https://www.mocatest.org/pdf_files/test/MoCA-Test-English_7_1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 40 doggerland

I honestly thought the crap handling of corona would take it from him, but like the "grab them" tape I think it'll be offset and he'll win in November. I'm about 99% sure and that keeps increasing the more I hear "defund the police" from the other side while encouraging rioting... At a guess, I think most of his voters will see him as a placeholder to keep the Dems out while the madness burning through their ranks, and in 2024 we'll see them back in power.

doggerland wrote: »
    I honestly thought the crap handling of corona would take it from him, but like the "grab them" tape I think it'll be offset and he'll win in November. I'm about 99% sure and that keeps increasing the more I hear "defund the police" from the other side while encouraging rioting... At a guess, I think most of his voters will see him as a placeholder to keep the Dems out while the madness burning through their ranks, and in 2024 we'll see them back in power.

when has biden pushed "defund the police" or encouraged rioting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

doggerland wrote: »

The riots are already old news, while people are still dying from covid in their thousands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement