Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

In work, no time to waste 15 minutes watching it. If you can't describe what's so terrible then it's not worth posting it.

His talking. That’s what’s terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Well, even with the coronavirus shutting almost everything down the campaign process continues. Since Joe Biden seems to be his worst enemy, I guess Trump is just hoping Joe speaks even more. So instead the Trump campaign sets their sight on Nancy Pelosi who basks in glory and opulence while 160,000 million Americans are about 3 months away from bankruptcy. Great ad… Every American should be outraged at Nancy and the democrats.

Let them eat ice cream ~ Nancy Antoinette

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

His talking. That’s what’s terrible.

Watched half and it seemed like a normal enough speech to me? I knew what he was talking about even if he was going on a bit. No script or teleprompters visible either.

Watching the rest now. He’s talking about his childhood in Delaware and his early days as a lawyer there. I honestly don’t see the issue here? He seems to be speaking normally at no point is he losing his train of thought. He speaks a lot better than trump to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

160,000 million Americans? I guess you missed the adding part of schooling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

duploelabs wrote: »
    I seem to remember big don saying something eerily similar a couple of weeks ago

notobtuse, be honest now for once

Are you Donald Trump?

• Advertisement

Thanks for catching that... it's 160 million Americans. That's almost half the country, by the way. But Nancy Pelosi keeps getting her paycheck from the government to sit home, eat ice cream out of her massive $24,000 refrigerators, and order the democrats to block the Paycheck Protection Plan funding... while Americans starve.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Billy Mays wrote: »
    I seem to remember big don saying something eerily similar a couple of weeks ago

notobtuse, be honest now for once

Are you Donald Trump?
    Nope, I'm not Donald Trump or related to him. Just a supporter hoping he wins reelection.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

notobtuse wrote: »
    Thanks for catching that... it's 160 million Americans. That's almost half the country, by the way. But Nancy Pelosi keeps getting her paycheck from the government to sit home, eat ice cream out of her massive $24,000 refrigerators, and order the democrats to block the Paycheck Protection Plan funding... while Americans starve.

It wasn't quite as simple as that now was it?

What were the GOP looking to include the latest bill and what were they trying to block?

As you have repeatedly laid ALL of the blame for the delay on the Democrats , be complete in the details on what the areas of disagreement were when you are apportioning blame..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Is Donald Trump opening up his hotels for front line workers who need a place to stay so they can stay isolated?? No he's not

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Is Donald Trump opening up his hotels for front line workers who need a place to stay so they can stay isolated?? No he's not

No , he's laying off all his staff and looking for Government hand-outs - Billionaire and all that his apparently is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

obviously a graduate of the priti patel school of mathematics

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Imbecile in charge absolutely fúcking up a pandemic.

Look Pelosi has an expensive fridge.

You couldn't write it.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well, even with the coronavirus shutting almost everything down the campaign process continues. Since Joe Biden seems to be his worst enemy, I guess Trump is just hoping Joe speaks even more. So instead the Trump campaign sets their sight on Nancy Pelosi who basks in glory and opulence while 160,000 million Americans are about 3 months away from bankruptcy. Great ad… Every American should be outraged at Nancy and the democrats.

the hypocrisy of your posts is astounding. You criticise nanci while the guy you support does much worse.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It wasn't quite as simple as that now was it?

What were the GOP looking to include the latest bill and what were they trying to block?

As you have repeatedly laid ALL of the blame for the delay on the Democrats , be complete in the details on what the areas of disagreement were when you are apportioning blame..
    Why don't you tell me what the democrats wanted in it and what the GOP wanted. It sure as hell won't make the democrats look good, let me tell you. Anyway here is the real reason democrats blocked funding from the PPP...

"I think what you're hearing from all of us on the call is that we have real concerns about giving away leverage now without getting some of the priorities that we need" (I’ve got to give Democrat Representative Jayapal credit for her willingness to speak the truth). Hmmm, helping out small businesses and people losing their jobs OR political leverage. Apparently Democrats favor political leverage.

https://twitter.com/SteveScalise/status/1252571957977063424

Even Joe Biden has called the crisis an "opportunity" for "structural" change on climate and voting. Democrats really don’t care about middle America, do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Does trump live in a hut?
    Over 45 thousand dead due to trumps incompetent and lies but but but Nancy has ice cream!!!!

Does trump live in a hut?
    Over 45 thousand dead due to trumps incompetent and lies but but but Nancy has ice cream!!!!
    Stick to the issue... Democrats have spent the last 10 actively BLOCKING GOP efforts to fund the Paycheck Protection Program while it ran dry, and millions of Americans can’t pay bills or buy food.

Why don't you tell me what the democrats wanted in it and what the GOP wanted. It sure as hell won't make the democrats look good, let me tell you. Anyway here is the real reason democrats blocked funding from the PPP...

"I think what you're hearing from all of us on the call is that we have real concerns about giving away leverage now without getting some of the priorities that we need" (I’ve got to give Democrat Representative Jayapal credit for her willingness to speak the truth). Hmmm, helping out small businesses and people losing their jobs OR political leverage. Apparently Democrats favor political leverage.

https://twitter.com/SteveScalise/status/1252571957977063424

Even Joe Biden has called the crisis an "opportunity" for "structural" change on climate and voting. Democrats really don’t care about middle America, do they?

You were the one laying all the blame at the Democrats feet , but OK..

What did the Democrats want that the GOP were blocking?

From here
    For now, Republicans leaders want to keep this measure narrow, focused exclusively on giving a $250 billion boost to the Paycheck Protection Program, an effort aimed at providing small businesses and nonprofits with forgivable loans. Democrats, meanwhile, think the small business money should be spread across a couple different programs, and want more funds added to the legislation including $100 billion for health care providers, $150 billion for states and cities, and more support for SNAP.

Republicans have argued that it would be easier and more efficient to approve the money for small businesses independently — and they note that funds for states and hospitals from the CARES Act are still being doled out.

“That by definition is a clean bill,” McConnell said in a floor speech. “I want to add money to the only part of our bipartisan bill that is currently at risk of running out of money.”

Democrats, however, disagree. They noted that the Paycheck Protection Program is not the only effort that needs more money. The Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program, which includes $10,000 in forgivable advances for the businesses that qualify, also requires replenishing. There are concerns, too, about how the existing $349 billion designated for PPP has been allocated: Democrats are pushing for some of the new funds to be set aside for community-based lenders, so more businesses can access these loans since larger banks like Bank of America have put limitations on who can apply.

Plus, while the CARES Act had already allocated money to health care providers and states and cities, Democrats note that it’s far from enough to make up for the lost revenue that these institutions are experiencing because of the coronavirus outbreak. In addition to the $100 billion that the CARES Act has for hospitals, and the $150 billion it has for states, Democrats are interested in adding more to cover costs like medical supplies and tax losses.

“We’ve heard from our health care providers that they’re ready to close the doors,” said Sen. Ben Cardin (D-MD). “They can’t stay in business today, it’s urgent.”

So - The Democrats wanted to add
    • Money for Healthcare Providers
    • Support for Cities and States
    • More Money for the SNAP program
    • Additional Funding for the "Economic Disaster Loan Program"

That list "sure as hell won't make the democrats look good" in your mind does it? - We have a VERY different view of the world , clearly.

Also , bear in mind that part of the reason they need to re-fund the PPP is because Multi-Billion dollar organisations like Shake Shack and others somehow qualified for a "Small Business" fund. In fairness to Shake Shack , they are now giving that money back following the negative press they got , but haven't seen much from the other "Mega Corps" in terms of giving the money back..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Stick to the issue... Democrats have spent the last 10 actively BLOCKING GOP efforts to fund the Paycheck Protection Program while it ran dry, and millions of Americans can’t pay bills or buy food.

You are the one on about ice cream.
    Even a shred of consistency from you would be appreciated.

Also,

“Mitch McConnell hit the brakes Tuesday on any speculation that Congress would quickly pass a "phase four" coronavirus bill, saying that lawmakers need to begin thinking about the country's growing debt.“

You were the one laying all the blame at the Democrats feet , but OK..

What did the Democrats want that the GOP were blocking?

From here

So - The Democrats wanted to add
    • Money for Healthcare Providers
    • Support for Cities and States
    • More Money for the SNAP program
    • Additional Funding for the "Economic Disaster Loan Program"

That list "sure as hell won't make the democrats look good" in your mind does it? - We have a VERY different view of the world , clearly.

Also , bear in mind that part of the reason they need to re-fund the PPP is because Multi-Billion dollar organisations like Shake Shack and others somehow qualified for a "Small Business" fund. In fairness to Shake Shack , they are now giving that money back following the negative press they got , but haven't seen much from the other "Mega Corps" in terms of giving the money back..
    Vox is a rabid far left wing propoganda entity. Regardless… lets look at the content:
    Democrats want to use the leverage they have in Congress so that Republicans don’t just approve more money for small businesses while leaving out other programs that also desperately need more funding.

What does any of that have to do with the Paycheck Protection Program? If democrats want money for their pet projects and democratic states who have mismanaged their finances (like underfunded pensions) then democrats should go after that in new legislation and let the PPP be for what it is meant for... Helping small businesses and getting funds to people out of work so they can pay bills and buy food.

Yes some businesses like Shake Shack got money they didn't deserve. But they gave it back. Yes, there needs to be an investigation and fine all those businesses who unfairly took advantage of the plan, but it shouldn't stop people in desperate need of money getting it before they all go bankrupt.

Vox is a rabid far left wing propoganda entity. Regardless… lets look at the content:

ahem...
    As usual attacking the source not the content. The usual ploy for those who... GOT NOTHING!

But just for balance - Here's EXACTLY the same information from

USA Today
    ABC News
    CBS News
    NPR

What does any of that have to do with the Paycheck Protection Program? If democrats want money for their pet projects and democratic states who have mismanaged their finances (like underfunded pensions) then democrats should go after that in new legislation and let the PPP be for what it is meant for... Helping small businesses and getting funds to people out of work so they can pay bills and buy food.

Yes some businesses like Shake Shack got money they didn't deserve. But they gave it back. Yes, there needs to be an investigation and fine all those businesses who unfairly took advantage of the plan, but it shouldn't stop people in desperate need of money getting it before they all go bankrupt.

Funding Healthcare Providers and SNAP are "Pet Projects" Seriously?

Does it say anything anywhere about only giving money to Democrat controlled States?

Maybe if the GOP had not insisted that most of the 1st tranche of Funds went to bail out massive Corporations or to give tax breaks to the 1% there would be more money available for the Great American Worker[(tm) that the GOP suddenly seem to care about so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

From the poster who earlier said
    As usual attacking the source not the content. The usual ploy for those who... GOT NOTHING!

Like donny, theres always a tweet/post :D

ahem...

But just for balance - Here's EXACTLY the same information from

USA Today
    ABC News
    CBS News
    NPR

Funding Healthcare Providers and SNAP are "Pet Projects" Seriously?

Does it say anything anywhere about only giving money to Democrat controlled States?

Maybe if the GOP had not insisted that most of the 1st tranche of Funds went to bail out massive Corporations or to give tax breaks to the 1% there would be more money available for the Great American Worker[(tm) that the GOP suddenly seem to care about so much.
    All Left, but that's beside the point. Where do any of them note that the democrats have been blocking funding for the PPP the last 10 days? Biased much.

What does any of that you noted have to do with the Paycheck Protection Program that desperately needs funds in order to get into the hands of people needing to pay bills and buy food as quickly as possible?

All Left, but that's beside the point. Where do any of them note that the democrats have been blocking funding for the PPP the last 10 days? Biased much.

ALL Left? Christ on a bike..

OK -

What about The Daily Mail

Or maybe The Washington Times

Again , all of them have the same basic factual information in them.. Are we done with challenging the basic facts yet?

Given that all of the articles originally listed were published on the 9th of April , none of them, oddly enough mention the 10 days.
    Did you read them?

What does any of that you noted have to do with the Paycheck Protection Program that desperately needs funds in order to get into the hands of people needing to pay bills and buy food as quickly as possible?

The Democrats feel that these other funding elements are just as important and should be done at the same time. That isn't "treachery" or " hating the american people" or whatever other histrionic vitriol people want to throw out.

The point is your faux outrage about this - The GOP held up the 1st round of funding until they got what they wanted , where was your outrage then for the struggling masses?

Here’s an article from The Hill about democrats and republicans maneuvers regarding the PPP. The Hill is rated by Allsides as “Center.” Allsides provides articles by media sources and notes whether the entity is Far Left, Left, Center, Right, Far Right (bias rating). Democrats don’t look very good, do they?

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/493077-republicans-go-on-attack-as-loans-for-small-businesses-start-to-run-out

Here’s an article from The Hill about democrats and republicans maneuvers regarding the PPP. The Hill is rated by Allsides as “Center.” Allsides provides articles by media sources and notes whether the entity is Far Left, Left, Center, Right, Far Right (bias rating). Democrats don’t look very good, do they?

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/493077-republicans-go-on-attack-as-loans-for-small-businesses-start-to-run-out

There is absolutely nothing in that article that wasn't detailed in each and every one of the other links that I have already shared, so not seeing the value add here.

And , no it doesn't make the Democrats "look bad" as you seem so determined to want everyone to feel.

As I already said - The Democrats feel that the other items are equally important and could be dealt with in the same legislation.

And given that McConnell is already indicating that he's going to start blocking additional funding , it certainly sounds like they are right to hold out for the funding they are looking for right now as if they give the GOP what they want , McConnell is then going to shut up shop and block any new requests.

So if they don't get it now , they might never get it.

Tell me , if the Democrats just relented and allowed the PPP bill to go through as is and McConnell then blocked the requests for funding for SNAP etc. (as he is already indicating he is likely to do) would you be on here being as Vitriolic about him as you are about Pelosi ??

I mean it's all about getting the poor families what they need, right??

How dare he.

From the poster who earlier said

Like donny, theres always a tweet/post :D
    Grasping at straws. You bolded the wrong line. I'll help you out...
    'Regardless… lets look at the content'

I'm betting you haven't accepted Pluto not being a planet.

There is absolutely nothing in that article that wasn't detailed in each and every one of the other links that I have already shared, so not seeing the value add here.

And , no it doesn't make the Democrats "look bad" as you seem so determined to want everyone to feel.

As I already said - The Democrats feel that the other items are equally important and could be dealt with in the same legislation.

And given that McConnell is already indicating that he's going to start blocking additional funding , it certainly sounds like they are right to hold out for the funding they are looking for right now as if they give the GOP what they want , McConnell is then going to shut up shop and block any new requests.

So if they don't get it now , they might never get it.

Tell me , if the Democrats just relented and allowed the PPP bill to go through as is and McConnell then blocked the requests for funding for SNAP etc. (as he is already indicating he is likely to do) would you be on here being as Vitriolic about him as you are about Pelosi ??

I mean it's all about getting the poor families what they need, right??

How dare he.
    NO it couldn't be dealt with in the same legislation. That would take too long, much compromise, and too many revisions. That stuff was for ANOTHER DAY!

I see Trump has ordered the Navy to destroy any Iranian gunboats that harass US ships. I guess that’s one way to get out of the depression caused by COVID-19 and get the price of oil back up again. I really don’t think it’s the right time for another war.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Grasping at straws. You bolded the wrong line. I'll help you out...
    'Regardless… lets look at the content'

I'm betting you haven't accepted Pluto not being a planet.

You whinge about people attacking the source

You then go on to attack the source

You're a hypocrite!

• Advertisement

NO it couldn't be dealt with in the same legislation. That would take too long, much compromise, and too many revisions. That stuff was for ANOTHER DAY!

But on another day , McConnell would be the one holding things up as he is now indicating.

So , who's really at fault here?

The Democrats for looking to use perhaps the last piece of leverage they have to get something that is absolutely needed by the American people or McConnell for refusing to allow it and indicating he'll begin to dig his heels in going forward for any additional funding requests?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement