Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

notobtuse wrote: »
    I'd say check into the bias of that source reporting on those categories.

A 2018 survey reported by The Hill (considered Center/Neutral) showed BBC, FoxNews and PBS (in that order) were the most trusted TV news brands in the US.

Even you as an ultra conservative can admit that Fox News can not be a trusted tv news source for all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    OK - Doesn't explain the lack of any of those things in right leaning outlets?

Also - The accusation of the left pretending to be unbiased and neutral can equally be lain at the feet of the right , I mean the Fox News tagline is "Fair & Balanced" .

I just don't buy the "Media biased against Conservatives" argument.

Of course - There are biased media outlets without question, some wildly so , on both sides.

But I don't accept that the ratio of Left/Right Bias is necessarily out of kilter with the actual positions and opinions held by the people watching.

If they were , then people would watch something else.
    Not really. FoxNews IS fair and balanced on their news shows, but admits to a right leaning bias on their opinion/entertainment shows. And granted, at FoxNews, opinion shows are king, not their news shows. At the Left leaning networks and media entities they don't much differentiate between the two and they both blend into leftist and liberal opinions mostly.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

kilns wrote: »
    Even you as an ultra conservative can admit that Fox News can not be a trusted tv news source for all
    I'm not ultra conservative. I'm more moderate republican. And FoxNews news shows can be trusted. They, at least, will put both republican AND democrat experts on to both debate the issues. FoxNews entertainment/opinion shows are just that... right leaning opinion and entertainment. But since Rupert Murdoch's liberal-ish son James has taken over, FoxNews HAS moved a little to the Left.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not really. FoxNews IS fair and balanced on their news shows, but admits to a right leaning bias on their opinion/entertainment shows. And granted, at FoxNews, opinion shows are king, not their news shows. At the Left leaning networks and media entities they don't much differentiate between the two and they both blend into leftist and liberal opinions mostly.

I'd disagree - I'd position the "hard news" element of Fox somewhere around the border between Neutral and Skews right. The are absolutely not wholly neutral..but that's ok..

I'd also put them in the Yellow/Orange category in terms of the "spin" element.. They are mostly fair in how they interpret the news , but from time they move into the "unfair" range , which again I think is manageable and within normal expected activity..

The "opinion" guys are WAY out there so the overall score given to Fox News shows the blended view based on the wild differences between the two..

I'd agree with you that there isn't such a large difference between the News and Opinion sections in the other guys , but given where they land overall that's not necessarily misleading.. "they are what they are" whereas a large swathe of Fox News programming is far out "Nonsense , Damaging to public discourse" with brief returns to normality during their "News" segments.

What has always intrigued me is what viewers think when they are exposed to those extremes of presentation?

How does someone watch an hour of a Chris Wallace or Brett Baier and then roll into a few hours of Hannity/Carlson/Ingraham?

Maybe they are different viewers?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'm not ultra conservative. I'm more moderate republican. And FoxNews news shows can be trusted. They, at least, will put both republican AND democrat experts on to both debate the issues. FoxNews entertainment/opinion shows are just that... right leaning opinion and entertainment. But since Rupert Murdoch's liberal-ish son James has taken over, FoxNews HAS moved a little to the Left.

I guess that's a part of the US News Media experience that I just don't understand..

I don't watch/consume Political shows/stories to be Entertained , I do it be be Informed. If it's entertainment I'm looking for a drama or comedy show will be where I go.

I don't understand Politics as "entertainment" at all.

• Advertisement

I’m sorry but that is ridiculous. Even Fox business has very right leanings and people who dare try to be unbiased on the network are ridiculed for it and even forced to leave.

If you are a moderate republican and as you have said before approve of most of Trumps political agenda I would hate to see a more conservative voice on here. Lol

To the Republicans, do you think the below is fair to report calling out lies and propaganda?

President Donald Trump is exaggerating the availability of coronavirus tests in the U.S. as he urges governors to consider lifting stay-at-home orders and help get the economy moving again.

Over the weekend, he tweeted that the U.S. has tested more people than the major countries of the world “combined.” That’s nowhere close to reality. Together, just three “major countries” alone — Russia, Germany and Italy — have tested more people than the U.S. And on another measure, more than 30 countries have tested a larger share of the population than the U.S. has done.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I don't understand. Did you do an analysis of the media news reporting viewership/readers after taking CNN and FoxNews out of the equation?

Nope. Did you? You were the one who made the 100 to 1 claim. Which, let's be honest, you pulled that figure out of your hoop.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I guess that's a part of the US News Media experience that I just don't understand..

I don't watch/consume Political shows/stories to be Entertained , I do it be be Informed. If it's entertainment I'm looking for a drama or comedy show will be where I go.

I don't understand Politics as "entertainment" at all.
    On a good note people here recognize media news reporting bias. Only 41% trust the media to report accurately and fairly. And a telling indication of media bias is trust by political party. What does it tell you when Democrats trust the media by 69%, Republicans 15%, and Independents by only 36%, other than an overall Left leaning bias.

2edrgnvmrk2uhaoxiyymqw.png

Brian? wrote: »
    Nope. Did you? You were the one who made the 100 to 1 claim. Which, let's be honest, you pulled that figure out of your hoop.
    At least I noted it was my opinion, which are based on observations, whereas you seemed to indicate a much lower number as fact.

• Advertisement

On a good note people here recognize media news reporting bias. Only 41% trust the media to report accurately and fairly. And a telling indication of media bias is trust by political party. What does it tell you when Democrats trust the media by 69%, Republicans 15%, and Independents by only 36%, other than an overall Left leaning bias.

So what? How people feel about the media has absolutely nothing to do with how biases the media are, it has more to so with the bias of the people responding.

they/them/theirs

I’m sorry but that is ridiculous. Even Fox business has very right leanings and people who dare try to be unbiased on the network are ridiculed for it and even forced to leave.

If you are a moderate republican and as you have said before approve of most of Trumps political agenda I would hate to see a more conservative voice on here. Lol
    By European standards I've no doubt I'd be considered ultra conservative, but not here in the US. In the US I'm often accused of being a RINO by conservatives.

So what? How people feel about the media has absolutely nothing to do with how biases the media are, it has more to so with the bias of the people responding.
    It most certainly does indicate people's perception of media bias. Unless of course you think only Democrats are intelligent and Republicans/Independents are idiots... with no bias on your part, of course.

Define "Mass Media" in this context?

If the Republican respondents were answering for "Main Stream Media" as decried by many on the right and as a result excluding all the sources that they themselves consume including Fox News, then it tells us nothing we didn't already know to be honest. Nor does it indicate any greater or lesser "sense" amongst the respondents regardless of political persuasion.

If Republicans don't trust ANY source of news above a 15% level then that is a real problem for them , not anyone else to be honest.

A "Trust level" in the 40% sounds about right in the environment created by the removal of the Fairness doctrine , but that's for another thread.

It most certainly does indicate people's perception of media bias. Unless of course you think only Democrats are intelligent and Republicans/Independents are idiots... with no bias on your part, of course.

To be fair the Democratics do not have a leader and certain entertainment network who are constantly calling any media outlet who criticizes him as fake news and we know how many people he and the network influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Tara Reade stuff seems at least as credible as the accusations against Brett Kavanaugh to me. Maybe the reason the media aren’t covering it as much because there’s so many accusations from the left and right that’s it’s just become part of the background noise now. Americans are sick of hearing about it and it doesn’t get clicks or views so they talk about something else? Doubt it’ll make a difference to Biden’s chances either way.

Also that Larry King video could literally be anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

MadYaker wrote: »
    The Tara Reade stuff seems at least as credible as the accusations against Brett Kavanaugh to me. Maybe the reason the media aren’t covering it as much because there’s so many accusations from the left and right that’s it’s just become part of the background noise now. Americans are sick of hearing about it and it doesn’t get clicks or views so they talk about something else? Doubt it’ll make a difference to Biden’s chances either way.

The caller to Larry King said they were from San Luis Obispo County.
    That's where Tara Reades mother was living at the time.

You think that's a coincidence right?

I don't believe anyone is intelligent based on their party affiliation. That's hardly a shocker.

Perception of media bias does not equate to media bias. It could be just as likely that people like yourself have been hoodwinked into believing this bias myth because it serves the need of certain political factions.

Media bias is part of the fog emitted by some politician/political commentators to foster an us against them hard mentality.

they/them/theirs

Define "Mass Media" in this context?

If the Republican respondents were answering for "Main Stream Media" as decried by many on the right and as a result excluding all the sources that they themselves consume including Fox News, then it tells us nothing we didn't already know to be honest. Nor does it indicate any greater or lesser "sense" amongst the respondents regardless of political persuasion.

If Republicans don't trust ANY source of news above a 15% level then that is a real problem for them , not anyone else to be honest.

A "Trust level" in the 40% sounds about right in the environment created by the removal of the Fairness doctrine , but that's for another thread.

If you're that interested, click to download the pdf of the survey by Gallup at the bottom of their article.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/267047/americans-trust-mass-media-edges-down.aspx

At least I noted it was my opinion, which are based on observations, whereas you seemed to indicate a much lower number as fact.

I did no such thing. 1 fact is that Fox news are the highest rates news network. That's it.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

If you're that interested, click to download the pdf of the survey by Gallup at the bottom of their article.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/267047/americans-trust-mass-media-edges-down.aspx

Even you a “moderate republican” don’t trust any media apart from those leaning right, it is all very partisan and to be honest rather stupid that people like Ingram, hannity and tucker can influence people to such a degree

I don't believe anyone is intelligent based on their party affiliation. That's hardly a shocker.

Perception of media bias does not equate to media bias. It could be just as likely that people like yourself have been hoodwinked into believing this bias myth because it serves the need of certain political factions.

Media bias is part of the fog emitted by some politician/political commentators to foster an us against them hard mentality.
    Go look at the media's handling of Joe Biden's sexual abuse accuser and Brett Kavanaugh's sexual abuse accuser, or how media reporting on Trump has been 90%-100% negative, and then tell me how there is no media bias. I need a good laugh.

Even you a “moderate republican” don’t trust any media apart from those leaning right, it is all very partisan and to be honest rather stupid that people like Ingram, hannity and tucker can influence people to such a degree
    All those people you noted do not have new shows, they're all opinion/entertainment shows and always say as much.

I don't trust most all media, and usually read articles on a subject from both the left and right and come up with an understanding of the subject from both sides. But I must admit the right articles seem to have the more accurate news as they provide more of the story and context.

MadYaker wrote: »

So the biased media... We only report on the news WE feel is fit to print, eh? All the rest... fuggedaboutit!

To be fair the Democratics do not have a leader and certain entertainment network who are constantly calling any media outlet who criticizes him as fake news and we know how many people he and the network influence.
    Democrats have several leaders... Pelosi, Schumer, Obama, Biden and AOC. And they always call out FoxNews. They have no reason to call out the mainstream media as they're simply handmaidens of the democratic party because the almost always refuse to report on anything that would make their party look bad. But I have to admit the media did recently do some negative reporting on a democrat by the name of Congressman Vernon Jones. Oh, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

jibber5000 wrote: »
    The caller to Larry King said they were from San Luis Obispo County.
    That's where Tara Reades mother was living at the time.

You think that's a coincidence right?

I have no idea if it’s a coincidence and neither do you.

All those people you noted do not have new shows, they're all opinion/entertainment shows and always say as much.

I don't trust most all media, and usually read articles on a subject from both the left and right and come up with an understanding of the subject from both sides. But I must admit the right articles seem to have the more accurate news as they provide more of the story and context.

Ha ha ok, and your right bias has nothing to do with preferring the right reporting. Ha ha.

Democrats have several leaders... Pelosi, Schumer, Obama, Biden and AOC. And they always call out FoxNews. They have no reason to call out the mainstream media as they're simply handmaidens of the democratic party because the almost always refuse to report on anything that would make their party look bad. But I have to admit the media did recently do some negative reporting on a democrat by the name of Congressman Vernon Jones. Oh, wait...

Have they ever called Fox News fake news for criticizing them and quoting them back word for word and calling it false reporting?

And please name the outlets you consider the mainstream media

Go look at the media's handling of Joe Biden's sexual abuse accuser and Brett Kavanaugh's sexual abuse accuser, or how media reporting on Trump has been 90%-100% negative, and then tell me how there is no media bias. I need a good laugh.

You don’t think context has any relevance?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

You don’t think context has any relevance?
    Just can't bring yourself to admit the majority of left leaning media bias out there, can you. I understand... sometimes truth tastes like vinegar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement