Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Joe Biden currently has 1,305 of the 1,991 delegates needed to clinch a first-round nomination at the democrat’s convention. Now New York has cancelled their primary. What if NY’s decision triggers key other states to cancel their own primaries? So Biden arrives at the convention (assuming he remembers where it will be held) thinking the nomination is his (even though he doesn't quite have enough delegates because of cancelled primaries) and walla… Hillary Clinton, Andrew Cuomo or Michelle Obama steps into the picture and pulls the rug out from under his feet. Possible brilliant move on the part of NY of perhaps finding an underhanded way to oust the doddering old fool from the ticket. Sneaky devils up there in NY. Got to give them credit, though.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

notobtuse wrote: »
    Bullcrap. All democrats and their media handmaidens are defending Biden and stating it didn't happen, citing a NY Times article. But in new news the NY Times is saying the democrats are misrepresenting what they wrote and the democrats claim about the NY Times is a lie.

https://pjmedia.com/election/tyler-o-neil/2020/04/29/new-york-times-biden-team-is-lying-about-our-reporting-on-tara-reade-n386699

No one here, on board.ie is defending him. You need to get over your obsession with the US media.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Lordy, lordy... Well, this is the second time I have to prove ya’ll wrong on this. I hope it will be the last time.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/19/837966525/on-the-record-a-former-biden-staffers-sexual-assault-allegation

Time for you to move the goalposts again?
    I would definitely be hoping that the FOIA request (if granted) is made public with the full report, as multiple other sources state he is not named on the report.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/us/politics/joe-biden-tara-reade-sexual-assault-complaint.html
    On Thursday, Ms. Reade filed a report with the Washington, D.C., police, saying she was the victim of a sexual assault in 1993; the public incident report, provided to The Times by Ms. Reade and the police, does not mention Mr. Biden by name, but she said the complaint was about him.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52462113
    Ms Reade filed a criminal complaint on 9 April 2020 with police, saying she was a victim of sexual assault but did not name Mr Biden.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/4ag95p/the-woman-accusing-biden-of-sexual-assault-filed-a-report-to-police-heres-what-you-need-to-know
    The report, which VICE News has viewed, doesn’t name Biden, but Reade told the New York Times that it’s about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I highly doubt you are interested. But, okay. Reade’s mother called in back when it happened to the Larry King show on CNN and described what happened (10 times more credible than anything Ford had put forth), IMO. Reade’s next door neighbor confirmed she told her back when it happened (10 times more credible than anything Ford had put forth). Reade’s roommate confirmed she told her back when it happened (10 times more credible than anything Ford had put forth). Reade’s brother confirmed she told him back when it happened (10 times more credible than anything Ford had put forth). Reade is calling for Biden to unseal his Senate records to confirm she made a complaint with the Senate against Biden when it happened (10 times more credible than anything Ford had put forth). Reade actually filed a police report (10 times more credible than anything Ford had put forth). Hmmm…. Perhaps I should have said 60 times more credible than anything Ford had put forth.

Ok just to take one example Reades brother at time said that his sister told him he put his hands on her clothes a lot different than the allegation. Plus can you explain why someone who is 10 times more Credible is liking and retweeting the man she has accused tweets regarding stoping violence against women?

Nobody is defending him she may or may not be lying but we are discussing her credibility and your claim that she is 10 times more credible is laughable stuff.

I would definitely be hoping that the FOIA request (if granted) is made public with the full report, as multiple other sources state he is not named on the report.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/us/politics/joe-biden-tara-reade-sexual-assault-complaint.html
    On Thursday, Ms. Reade filed a report with the Washington, D.C., police, saying she was the victim of a sexual assault in 1993; the public incident report, provided to The Times by Ms. Reade and the police, does not mention Mr. Biden by name, but she said the complaint was about him.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52462113
    Ms Reade filed a criminal complaint on 9 April 2020 with police, saying she was a victim of sexual assault but did not name Mr Biden.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/4ag95p/the-woman-accusing-biden-of-sexual-assault-filed-a-report-to-police-heres-what-you-need-to-know
    The report, which VICE News has viewed, doesn’t name Biden, but Reade told the New York Times that it’s about him.
    NPR is considered to be the least biased of the ones you listed. Personally I would trust the reporting of NPR over the BBC or Vice, and just about anything over the NY Times when it comes to Trump. But, yeah, hopefully the full complaint will be released and we can see which media entity had it right.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement

Joe Biden currently has 1,305 of the 1,991 delegates needed to clinch a first-round nomination at the democrat’s convention. Now New York has cancelled their primary. What if NY’s decision triggers key other states to cancel their own primaries? So Biden arrives at the convention (assuming he remembers where it will be held) thinking the nomination is his (even though he doesn't quite have enough delegates because of cancelled primaries) and walla… Hillary Clinton, Andrew Cuomo or Michelle Obama steps into the picture and pulls the rug out from under his feet. Possible brilliant move on the part of NY of perhaps finding an underhanded way to oust the doddering old fool from the ticket. Sneaky devils up there in NY. Got to give them credit, though.

I think you seriously need to look irony up in the dictionary and stop making stupid posts like this

kilns wrote: »
    Ok just to take one example Reades brother at time said that his sister told him he put his hands on her clothes a lot different than the allegation. Plus can you explain why someone who is 10 times more Credible is liking and retweeting the man she has accused tweets regarding stoping violence against women?
    Please show me one person who backed up Ford's accusations. And don't know... I'm addressing facts, not motives. But let's look at the elephant in the room... The republicans went along with hearings into the Kavanaugh allegations, why won't democrats even consider it with Biden?

I think you seriously need to look irony up in the dictionary and stop making stupid posts like this
    Valid possibilities hurt, eh?

Brian? wrote: »
    No one here, on board.ie is defending him. You need to get over your obsession with the US media.
    Sure they are. When the US media stops putting their ideologies in reporting ahead of journalistic integrity I'll stop picking on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Don't agree with the weaponizing of allegations such as that of Tara Reade's but the double standards are glaring and hard to ignore. Tara would have had a Anderson Cooper special by now had she been accusing a Republican candidate and there'd have been hundreds of the usual celebs tweeting about how they were standing with her.

Nancy won't be tweeting this 'fixed it' tweet anytime soon that's for sure:

np1.png

• Advertisement

Please show me one person who backed up Ford's accusations. And don't know... I'm addressing facts, not motives. But let's look at the elephant in the room... The republicans went along with hearings into the Kavanaugh allegations, why won't democrats even consider it with Biden?

So if someone makes up a story and tells others the story she is more credible? Hmmm. Nobody is saying she is lying but you state she has more credibility because she told people laughable. Ok so let’s hold an enquiry for all of Trumps sexual misconduct too or don’t mind that

Valid possibilities hurt, eh?

Again have a look at irony in the dictionary

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Fairy tales.

Jaysis notobtuse you would make a great writer for the tabloids. You are very talented at making up stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So we don’t we actually know if Tara Reade named Biden in the police report or not?

Has it been confirmed that that was her mother who called in to Larry King?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Don't agree with the weaponizing of allegations such as that of Tara Reade's but the double standards are glaring and hard to ignore. Tara would have had a Anderson Cooper special by now had she been accusing a Republican candidate and there'd have been hundreds of the usual celebs tweeting about how they were standing with her.

Nancy won't be tweeting this 'fixed it' tweet anytime soon that's for sure:

The double standards are incredible really. This is a big story, with merit, and more than the usual amount of evidence to give it some credibility. Allegation, a recorded call from 1993 which corroborates her story about when she told her mother and now a neighbour.

Biden is now in the very difficult position of having to release or not release his senate records to prove or disprove if there was a complaint in there. 1,875 boxes and 415 gigabytes of senatorial records.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Don't agree with the weaponizing of allegations

But here you are, doing just that.

Trump cheer leaders demanding allegations be taken seriously is just a different level of cray cray.

The Nal wrote: »
    The double standards are incredible really. This is a big story, with merit, and more than the usual amount of evidence to give it some credibility. Allegation, a recorded call from 1993 which corroborates her story about when she told her mother and now a neighbour.

Biden is now in the very difficult position of having to release or not release his senate records to prove or disprove if there was a complaint in there. 1,875 boxes and 415 gigabytes of senatorial records.

Was it proven that that was her mother on Larry King?

I guess you think it’s equally incredible that nobody is talking about the 24 allegations of sexual misconduct against Trump?

MadYaker wrote: »

No but I haven't seen any denials. People who knew her said so, she lived in the same place. Its not 100% obviously.
    I guess you think it’s equally incredible that nobody is talking about the 24 allegations of sexual misconduct against Trump?

Loads of people are/were. But Trump shouldn't be the standard. Hes the bottom of the barrel. Just because Trump has had allegations against him - which you would assume a lot of them are true given his grab em chat - doesn't mean it should be ignored elsewhere. A few left leaning US media outlets calling for it aswell now.

Throw in these senate files and this is now a huge story.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sure they are. When the US media stops putting their ideologies in reporting ahead of journalistic integrity I'll stop picking on them.

Who's defending Biden?

If you were on some sort of crusade for fair journalism how come you save your ire for the "liberal media"? Were you equally critical of Fox when Obama was POTUS??

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

No but I haven't seen any denials. People who knew her said so, she lived in the same place. Its not 100% obviously.

Loads of people are/were. But Trump shouldn't be the standard. Hes the bottom of the barrel. Just because Trump has had allegations against him - which you would assume a lot of them are true given his grab em chat - doesn't mean it should be ignored elsewhere. A few left leaning US media outlets calling for it aswell now.

Throw in these senate files and this is now a huge story.

If it’s such a huge story you’d wonder why Fox News don’t seem interesting in talking about it.

So we don’t know who that was on Larry King, and we don’t know if Reade actually named Biden in the police report......

The point I’m trying I’m trying to make is that this accusation isn’t going to factor into voters decision making at the ballot box and I think the Biden camp know this which is why they are staying quiet. The police investigation is going nowhere because it’s beyond the statute of limitations.

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    Fairy tales.

Jaysis notobtuse you would make a great writer for the tabloids. You are very talented at making up stuff
    Thanks, I think :), but I’m not as creative as you might believe. I have to give credit to that scenario to news reports I’ve read. I merely present a rational point here of a large US political view that is divergent from the normal groupthink here. I don't know why that sort of thing drive so many here nuts... You'd think they'd be interested in how 'the other side' thinks.

Sorry but most of the article is hidden behind a pay service. Consider buying into it. Some really great reporting and opinions there.
    https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2020/04/28/hmmm-canceled-ny-primary-open-door-replacing-biden/

Tara Reade confirmed that was her mother on the phone call to Larry King.

Brian? wrote: »
    Who's defending Biden?

If you were on some sort of crusade for fair journalism how come you save your ire for the "liberal media"? Were you equally critical of Fox when Obama was POTUS??
    Most everyone here is defending Biden. If you can't see the obvious with your own eyes, there is not much I can do to help you.

I did acknowledge FoxNews opinion shows didn't like Obama and let it be known all the time... but that's all they were - opinion shows.

Most everyone here is defending Biden. If you can't see the obvious with your own eyes, there is not much I can do to help you.

I did acknowledge FoxNews opinion shows didn't like Obama and let it be known all the time... but that's all they were - opinion shows.

Who here has said Biden didn’t do it?

That isn’t proof.

That's not proof but it's a very odd coincidence if not. How did they dig up that footage?

Interesting opinion piece in USA Today, errr, today. Seems she has history of some questionable behaviour.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/04/29/joe-biden-sexual-assault-allegation-tara-reade-column/3046962001/

Who here has said Biden didn’t do it?
    Please keep up. I said most everyone here was defending Biden.

That's not proof but it's a very odd coincidence if not. How did they dig up that footage?

Interesting opinion piece in USA Today, errr, today. Seems she has history of some questionable behaviour.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/04/29/joe-biden-sexual-assault-allegation-tara-reade-column/3046962001/
    I read CNN's Larry King had all the old shows available on Google Play for all to see. I understand since the footage was discovered by a media entity doing some real journalism, and it went public that one segment has now been deleted from Google Play. Odd, wouldn't you say? Hmmm... If you can't avoid it destroy the evidence, perhaps?

I don’t think these accusations have any more merit than the Brett Kavanaugh ones did. It’s just another political tool now.

• Advertisement

I don’t think these accusations have any more merit than the Brett Kavanaugh ones did. It’s just another political tool now.
    So do you think, in order to prove there is no hypocrisy, nor bias, and that there is equal justice, that the media should devote as much time to investigating and reporting on the story, and have government hearings on the matter especially since there is much more credible evidence, that there was with Kavanaugh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement