Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

notobtuse wrote: »
    That assuming the people responsible for keeping such a report didn't put it in the 'circular file' to protect Biden. And even if they did file it, remember Sandy "docs in my socks" Burger? Biden's staff were allowed to comb through those sealed files. Lovely people those democrats are.

What about her changing version of events relating to the complaint?

When were Bidens staff "allowed to comb through these files" ? Before 2008 when he would have been vetted for VP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    What about her changing version of events relating to the complaint?

When were Bidens staff "allowed to comb through these files" ? Before 2008 when he would have been vetted for VP?
    You say she had changing versions of events to the complaint? What were those changing versions on her part?

We know they were allowed in when he announced he was running for president, as reported. I'm confident they were allowed in any time they wanted, including before 2008.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You say she had changing versions of events to the complaint? What were those changing versions on her part?

We know they were allowed in when he announced he was running for president, as reported. I'm confident they were allowed in any time they wanted, including before 2008.

She initially claimed she had lodged a complaint of "Sexual assault" against Biden , she is now saying that the complaint was that "Biden made her feel uncomfortable".

This was from an earlier Fox news Report
    Reade alleges that back in 1993, she had made informal complaints about the then-Delaware senator's unwanted touching to Biden's chief-of-staff Ted Kaufman, as well as Marianne Baker, his executive assistant, but waited until after the alleged assault to file an external sexual harassment complaint.

There's also one from the Washington Examiner again talking about a "Sexual Assault complaint"

So , did she lodge a complaint about Sexual assault or not?

If I'm someone in a Senatorial oversight team dealing with these incoming complaints , I'd treat a complaint of "I was Sexually Assaulted" VERY differently to "He makes me uncomfortable" .

The 1st one is absolutely a Criminal offence if found guilty , the 2nd could be anything from an overbearing Shouty Boss to sexual harassment that might rise to the level of criminality..

She initially claimed she had lodged a complaint of "Sexual assault" against Biden , she is now saying that the complaint was that "Biden made her feel uncomfortable".

This was from an earlier Fox news Report

There's also one from the Washington Examiner again talking about a "Sexual Assault complaint"

So , did she lodge a complaint about Sexual assault or not?

If I'm someone in a Senatorial oversight team dealing with these incoming complaints , I'd treat a complaint of "I was Sexually Assaulted" VERY differently to "He makes me uncomfortable" .

The 1st one is absolutely a Criminal offence if found guilty , the 2nd could be anything from an overbearing Shouty Boss to sexual harassment that might rise to the level of criminality..
    I read the FoxNews link you provided. I must be thick. Please point me to where in the piece it indicates she changed her story.

I also read the Washington Examiner link. I'll note the following:
    Reade suspects that a sexual harassment complaint she filed with an outside Senate personnel office in 1993 may be stored in the archives, or that it could include notes from meetings she said she had with top staff members about harassment or information about retaliation she said she suffered after coming forward with the claims. Three top staffers vehemently deny hearing about her allegations, but two former interns have said they remember Reade abruptly losing intern supervision duties.

Ted Kaufman, Biden's then-chief of staff, who later became a senator and is now heading up putting together a Biden transition team in case he wins in November, "took notes when I spoke with him," Reade told Business Insider. "He's now denying that we ever had the meeting, and I watched him take notes. Those notes would be in my personnel file, along with sick days or any kind of extra notes that I turn in."

There is no guarantee that the archive contains information about Reade. It is up to each former senator what they choose to make public from their personal files.
    Sure seems like she believed she filed a complaint. Also, isn't that bolded part interesting?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

I read the FoxNews link you provided. I must be thick. Please point me to where in the piece it indicates she changed her story.

I also read the Washington Examiner link. I'll not the following:

Sure seems like she believed she filed a complaint. Also, isn't that bolded part interesting?

Sorry for the confusion - The point about the Fox News and Washington examiner links were that in those articles she is quoted as saying she lodged a complaint of "Sexual Assault" however in the tweet I linked earlier she is now saying that the complaint was that "Biden made her uncomfortable" which are two very different things.

I find it hard to believe that an independent Senate watchdog group would receive a complaint of Sexual assault , do absolutely nothing with it and then simply hand it back to the office of the accused Senator for Archive or Disposal.

If that is/was actually the practice then who the hell knows who does what in the Senate?!

• Advertisement

Sorry for the confusion - The point about the Fox News and Washington examiner links were that in those articles she is quoted as saying she lodged a complaint of "Sexual Assault" however in the tweet I linked earlier she is now saying that the complaint was that "Biden made her uncomfortable" which are two very different things.

I find it hard to believe that an independent Senate watchdog group would receive a complaint of Sexual assault , do absolutely nothing with it and then simply hand it back to the office of the accused Senator for Archive or Disposal.

If that is/was actually the practice then who the hell knows who does what in the Senate?!
    Oh, thanks. It seems I continue to remain thick. I see the FoxNews piece notes that a "former staffer Tara Reade publicly accuses Joe Biden of sexual assault in a podcast," and in the WT piece "That would mean no operatives have accessed the archive since Reade went public with her allegations of sexual assault in late March," but I don't see where she claims she filed a 'sexual assault' charge back in 1993 against Biden.

Edit: I've found many things done in the Senate and House don't make sense. My youngest daughter is going to a prestigious university in Washington, DC. She is in their select Policy, Politics, and Law program. As part of this program she is required to intern in either the White House, the House, the Senate, Homeland Security or a couple others I don't remember. The internships will be set up by the university. But if she interns in either the House or Senate she has to sign NDA disclosures and unpaid interns aren't even covered in Congress against sexual harassment? I'm none to happy about it but she is intent on a career in Washington politics or law and she'll need to do this to get ahead.

Oh, thanks. It seems I continue to remain thick. I see the FoxNews piece notes that a "former staffer Tara Reade publicly accuses Joe Biden of sexual assault in a podcast," and in the WT piece "That would mean no operatives have accessed the archive since Reade went public with her allegations of sexual assault in late March," but I don't see where she claims she filed a 'sexual assault' charge back in 1993 against Biden.

You are correct "Sexual Harassment" is the term used , which she now says was "Biden made her feel uncomfortable"

From the Fox News link
    Reade alleges that back in 1993, she had made informal complaints about the then-Delaware senator's unwanted touching to Biden's chief-of-staff Ted Kaufman, as well as Marianne Baker, his executive assistant, but waited until after the alleged assault to file an external sexual harassment complaint.

From the Washington Examiner
    Reade suspects that a sexual harassment complaint she filed with an outside Senate personnel office in 1993 may be stored in the archives, or that it could include notes from meetings she said she had with top staff members about harassment or information about retaliation she said she suffered after coming forward with the claims.

My point about the Outside Senate Personnel Office still stands - We are to take it they they got this complaint , did absolutely nothing with it and then simply handed all records of said complaint back to the office of the accused?

I know the article says that all records eventually go back to the Senators office , but did they do nothing about it?. No follow up contacts , no interviews with the complainant??

She doesn't mention being contacted by people from that office at all , she only talks about talking with people from the Biden team, which they deny. Validation or denial of the report from someone from that Office would go a long way to bringing clarity . There can't have been massive numbers of people in that office in 1993 surely?

She has also shared copious notes about other parts of her time working in the Senate in her other media pieces unconnected to this allegation ,but she has no copies whatsoever of this most important period?

You are correct "Sexual Harassment" is the term used , which she now says was "Biden made her feel uncomfortable"

From the Fox News link

From the Washington Examiner

My point about the Outside Senate Personnel Office still stands - We are to take it they they got this complaint , did absolutely nothing with it and then simply handed all records of said complaint back to the office of the accused?

I know the article says that all records eventually go back to the Senators office , but did they do nothing about it?. No follow up contacts , no interviews with the complainant??

She doesn't mention being contacted by people from that office at all , she only talks about talking with people from the Biden team, which they deny. Validation or denial of the report from someone from that Office would go a long way to bringing clarity . There can't have been massive numbers of people in that office in 1993 surely?

She has also shared copious notes about other parts of her time working in the Senate in her other media pieces unconnected to this allegation ,but she has no copies whatsoever of this most important period?
    I thought the point was her changing stories?

Did you know here employees are not allowed to make copies or take pictures of what is in their employee files? They are only allowed to read them.

Congress takes care of themselves and they exempt themselves from many things they force on other employers. I did an edit to my previous post. Go look at it. Also, look into Congress, NDA's, and sexual harassment of unpaid interns if you get a chance. It will shock and dismay you. It is something very troubling I actually have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Trump not taking sides on the allegation anyway, says Tara and her mother sounds "credible" but that if Joe says it's not true he should "fight it" as he (Trump) knows what it's like to be falsely accused.

An excellent read and explanation of the clusterf#ck of a process it actually took for someone to make a sexual harassment complaint back in 1993. Seems records that could give validity will be released… in 2043.

Also of importance note:
    But that makes one thing all the more perplexing: the way Biden dodged co-host Mika Brzezinski’s repeated questions about the records of his Senate years that are under seal at the University of Delaware. Why, she asked him again and again, does he not open those archives to scrutiny?

Biden didn’t adequately address the “why.” He simply kept repeating that those files do not contain personnel records. We are expected to take his word for that. There is a good chance that Biden is telling the truth. But even if he is, those boxes of material might hold many other items that could be relevant: memos from staff members that mention Reade or her allegation, schedules that convey a sense of how much contact he had with Reade. The materials might include documents that speak to the general culture in the office. There might be … Well, we just don’t know what might be there, because Biden won’t let anyone see them.
    Bear in mind that Reade and seven other women went public with sexual-harassment claims in April 2019, immediately after Biden’s entry into the race. That certainly might have been the impetus for a records search — or perhaps a record purge — even before Reade’s allegation got more specific and serious. This review, at the very least, makes Biden’s insistence that no one can access the University of Delaware archives for some structural reason a clear and obvious lie.

Really worth the read. Curiouser and curiouser

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2020/05/01/wapo-say-doesnt-biden-open-records-people-outside-campaign/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

An excellent read and explanation of the clusterf#ck of a process it actually took for someone to make a sexual harassment complaint back in 1993. Seems records that could give validity will be released… in 2043.

Also of importance note:

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2020/05/01/wapo-say-doesnt-biden-open-records-people-outside-campaign/

And why doesn’t Trump release his tax returns? Neither are required to release them but for full transparency I’m sure you’d agree both should release everything for scrutiny

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Also of importance note:

I thought you were unbiased on whether it was true or not? You only cared that it wasn’t being reported by the media?

That tune has changed pretty quick now Biden was asked about it was on MSNBC, the American Pravda.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Brian? wrote: »
    I thought you were unbiased on whether it was true or not? You only cared that it wasn’t being reported by the media?

That tune has changed pretty quick now Biden was asked about it was on MSNBC, the American Pravda.

When did I ever say I was unbiased on anything? I'm biased as he'll, I thought it was evident. My point has always been you can't let the genie out of the bottle, as democrats did, and then pretend it didn't happen. I'm railing against hypocrisy and the double standards... one for democrats and another for republicans. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

When did I ever say I was unbiased on anything? I'm biased as he'll, I thought it was evident. My point has always been you can't let the genie out of the bottle, as democrats did, and then pretend it didn't happen. I'm railing against hypocrisy and the double standards... one for democrats and another for republicans. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Get out of that. You were giving our about the media double standards, now that's been flatly disprove you're pivoting to a new angle of attack.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Get out of that. You were giving our about the media double standards, now that's been flatly disprove you're pivoting to a new angle of attack.

No, I think your slightly ticked because my message has remained consistent. Just because the mainstream media has accepted they can no longer control the non-message after 5 weeks and have been forced to finally do their jobs, kinda, doesn't absolve them from their bias and hypocrisy. After a week will they go back to see no evil - hear no evil - speak no evil? As for democrats in the matter? We all know they'll circle the wagon, because as always they believe history starts today.

I have to admit I was somewhat confused at first by Trump's defense and support for Joe Biden in the sexual assault accusation.

Then this morning I read about Dilbert creator and political activist Scott Adams' take on it. I then thought, yeah, Adams is dead-on balls accurate. It was a masterful and brilliant broadside against Biden's sinking ship.
    “I would just say to Joe Biden, ‘Just go out and fight it,'” Trump said in a podcast interview with Dan Bongino. “He’s going to have to make his own decision, I’m not going to be telling him what to do. Biden is going to have to go out and fight his own battles.”

“If President Trump had said yeah, ‘Joe Biden is guilty,’ that would totally open up Trump for the same accusations and you know that would be just automatic,” Adams said. “So President Trump didn’t really have a play to talk about it at all.”

“There’s nobody else in the world who would have found that path, it’s so, it’s so perfect,” the Dilbert creator added, in awe. “The president is embracing Biden…”

“The president is using as a kill-shot that his opponent is just like him. Do you understand how sublime that is?” Adams asked. “Because there’s only one person in the race who can survive being just like Trump, and it’s not Joe Biden.”

“The more Trump says, ‘Yeah, we’re like brothers. We’re practically the same guy. I lie, he lies, I’ve got some allegations, he’s got some allegations. You know, … we’re practically bros,'” the better it is for the president’s campaign.

By identifying himself with Biden and daring Biden to defend himself, Trump not only taints his opposition but also draws attention to Tara Reade’s claims. The president took a situation where the sexual assault claims against him might very well become the bigger story, but he pivoted around it perfectly.

“This is like somebody getting out of the escape room when there’s no escape,” Scott Adams said. “How the hell did he find this path? You know, in a million years, if you hired the best consultants in the world… The way you know that this came from him and did not come from an advisor or a paid consultant is that no paid consultant could come up with this plan.”

https://pjmedia.com/election/tyler-o-neil/2020/05/02/387677-n387677

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

"Then Trump identified himself with Biden. “I’ve been falsely accused by people that I’ve never even seen, I’ve never even seen many of these people. And some of these people, I met them – zero interest, Okay? Like zero,” the president said."

Quote left out from the above post.. sounds like a senile old man.. Having to repeat something over and over sounds like guilt.

• Advertisement

"Then Trump identified himself with Biden. “I’ve been falsely accused by people that I’ve never even seen, I’ve never even seen many of these people. And some of these people, I met them – zero interest, Okay? Like zero,” the president said."

Quote left out from the above post.. sounds like a senile old man.. Having to repeat something over and over sounds like guilt.

Nope... sorry Charlie. I posted what was pertinent. There's much more. People can go see for themselves. Trump repeats himself so often because it's a reinforcing mechanism and gets people to remember the sentiment. Odd you don't recognize that.

I had to laugh at the NY Times. They're now basically saying Tara Reade’s allegations against Joe Biden are too serious to be handled by the media so the DNC should investigate it. Yeah, that's a great idea. Put the fox in charge of the chicken coop. What could go wrong? You can't make this stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Tara Reade: 'I didn't use sexual harassment' in Biden complaint

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Nope... sorry Charlie. I posted what was pertinent. There's much more. People can go see for themselves. Trump repeats himself so often because it's a reinforcing mechanism and gets people to remember the sentiment. Odd you don't recognize that.

Odd that you see it as a plus for old man Donnie yet leave it out of your quotes, isn't it what you do here, paint Donnie in a shinning light..

Oh I know he repeats himself a lot, it's like he's going senile, can't string a full sentence together.. this is a bad thing for Biden, but it's a plus for Donnie. Colour me shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I had to laugh at the NY Times. They're now basically saying Tara Reade’s allegations against Joe Biden are too serious to be handled by the media so the DNC should investigate it. Yeah, that's a great idea. Put the fox in charge of the chicken coop. What could go wrong? You can't make this stuff up.

The claims against Biden means that any democrat supporter has to make a choice

1) they accept that the media and opposition will use inflated or false sexual assault allegations to influence voters , and they have to drop that out of their portfolio of dislike for trump and kavanaugh or...

2) they have to stay home on Election Day because if sexual assault allegations are #ibelieveher automatically true then they can't in good conscience vote for Creepy Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The claims against Biden means that any democrat supporter has to make a choice

1) they accept that the media and opposition will use inflated or false sexual assault allegations to influence voters , and they have to drop that out of their portfolio of dislike for trump and kavanaugh or...

2) they have to stay home on Election Day because if sexual assault allegations are #ibelieveher automatically true then they can't in good conscience vote for Creepy Joe.

???

You've brought this down to two single options. Oh clever you. Every single democrat in the world needs to choose one of your options??

It doesn't really work like that dude. There are a million different ways to skin a chicken or whatever the saying is lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

The same way Donald's investigation was voted on by what was essentially the republican party?

American politics in particular are a complete cesspit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The same way Donald's investigation was voted on by what was essentially the republican party?

American politics in particular are a complete cesspit.

worse than that, the investigation was overseen by somebody appointed by trump who closed it down at the first opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Isn't this exactly what the Republican party did with Trump? Are you saying that the Reps were wrong in what they did or are you saying it's only ok if the Reps do it? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Tara Reade: 'I didn't use sexual harassment' in Biden complaint

Interesting.

Fake news from the associated press.

https://twitter.com/ReadeAlexandra/status/1256672559396864001

This was an addition to their article at the bottom in small print.
    EDITOR’S NOTE — The headline of this story was changed for clarity and to incorporate a direct quote from Reade. The AP also added material to the story, which details the specific words and examples Reade says she used in a Senate complaint about Joe Biden. The AP is adding the material to reflect that while Reade says she did not specifically use the words “sexual harassment” in the complaint, she says the behavior she was describing amounts to sexual harassment

Talk about disingenuous...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement