Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Her accusation is actually credible, and it is relevant as Joe Biden has promised to reverse Devos's recent changes to the Title IX regulations affording young accused men of due process...something CNN calls controversial!!!

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/06/politics/education-secretary-betsy-devos-title-ix-regulations/index.html

Under those same standards Biden would be toast.

The Democrats have dug this hole for themselves.

But it's not a competition, right?

The fact that law was passed under Trump's watch is hardly surprising, given the number of accusations levelled at him. Although I guess none of them are as credible as Tara Reade...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Why did you post the video of the Tara Reade interview?

Because it was just released :confused:

You appear to be doing everything you can to undermine her accusation, which is quite odd given how you did the exact opposite when Ford made her allegations.

Do you want me to quote you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

But it's not a competition, right?

The fact that law was passed under Trump's watch is hardly surprising, given the number of accusations levelled at him. Although I guess none of them are as credible as Tara Reade...

The law was horrific in the first place...it removed due process for the accused in college campuses, a violation of a persons human rights...a law Biden very much supports.

It's mad you can't see the difficulty here...this has also undermined the credibility of the metoo movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

notobtuse wrote: »
    “Credulity”... Great word, but what do I care if you or anyone thinks it’s true or not? There's no way to prove it all. I’ve never told anyone the entire story of that wild, bizarre and sordid month in the summer of ’74 and I don’t intend to here. Hell, I doubt anybody would believe the whole story... I wouldn’t if it was told to me. But I lived and survived it. Sex, booze, drugs, Bavarian music, friends, parties, jealousy, four large garbage bags of festival beer tickets that never made it to the incinerator, quick thinking, a psycho, murder, police, leaches, motorcycle gang and the Manson family girl... Oh, my. But someday the story might be an interesting basis for someone thinking of making a retro ‘Dazed and Confused’ type movie.
    First true thing you've said since you made your account.

...this has also undermined the credibility of the metoo movement.

I think you're right about certain circles alright, maybe more moderate liberals, who perhaps turned a blind eye to the early signs of the movement's selective 'believing'. Like this one for example.

Rose McGowan is a fruitcake as far as I am concerned, but one thing I'll say for her, she's at least far more consistent than the rest of the metoo cult:

https://twitter.com/rosemcgowan/status/1247252442812690433

Due process is the only way to go with such allegations (of a he-said/she-said variety at least).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Because it was just released :confused:

You appear to be doing everything you can to undermine her accusation, which is quite odd given how you did the exact opposite when Ford made her allegations.

Do you want me to quote you?

Now, where did I undermine her accusation? I believe her accusations to be no more true or false than any of the many Trump accusers. It's he said, she said with most accusations of this nature. Why would she lie? Why would Christine Blasey Ford lie? Why would E. Jean Carroll lie?

You're being more than a tad disingenuous playing the confused card, when you, I and everyone on this thread knows why you posted up the video and then begin pointing the finger at others.

I just find it hypocrisy of the highest degree for Trump supporters to go after Biden with this accusation, yet play the 'nothing to see here' card when the same subject is brought up about Trump. Does he deserve the benefit of the doubt more than Biden does? If so, why?

It's a kamikaze tactic on the part of Trump supporters - I don't know why ye keep doing it!

Now, where did I undermine her accusation? I believe her accusations to be no more true or false than any of the many Trump accusers. It's he said, she said with most accusations of this nature. Why would she lie? Why would Christine Blasey Ford lie? Why would E. Jean Carroll lie?

You're being more than a tad disingenuous playing the confused card, when you, I and everyone on this thread knows why you posted up the video and then begin pointing the finger at others.

I just find it hypocrisy of the highest degree for Trump supporters to go after Biden with this accusation, yet play the 'nothing to see here' card when the same subject is brought up about Trump. Does he deserve the benefit of the doubt more than Biden does? If so, why?

It's a kamikaze tactic on the part of Trump supporters - I don't know why ye keep doing it!

This is the hypocrisy you get when you remove due process....it's there for a reason.

Biden wants to remove it AGAIN for young men....what is good for the goose!

Now, where did I undermine her accusation?

You did so with your clear attempts to deflect. The other day you started going on about how Trump suggested one of his accusers wasn't attractive as soon as Biden's comments about Reade's accusation were being discussed and now you post up an interview with one of Trump's accusers as soon as an interview with Reade is posted.

I totally agree with you but I am not doing that and so I'd appreciate it if you'd stop acting like I am. I have taken a neutral position on it and said multiple times (and always will) that I don't agree with such accusations being used to score political points, which is why I am not calling for Biden to be removed from the race. I actually agree with Trump when he said that he feels Biden should fight it if he is adamant that he's innocent of the allegations.

Again, please stop suggesting that I have done something I have not. I believe in due process (when it comes to he-said/she-said allegations) and posting an interview with Reade does not negate that. When I start referring to Biden as a sexual predator or saying that he shouldn't be allowed to run for President as a result of the allegation hanging over him, maybe then you can claim I am using it to "go after" him, but until such time, you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Oh! This could get interesting now! Why isn't this on the front page of more news sites? What am I missing? Is it that Megyn Kelly is not particularly credible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Why isn't this on the front page of more news

The NYT are running with the story:
    Tara Reade Says Biden Should Withdraw From Presidential Race
    "In an interview with Megyn Kelly, Ms. Reade, who has accused Joseph R. Biden Jr. of sexual assault, said he “should not be running on character.” Mr. Biden has denied the allegation."
    source

A far cry from the headline:
    Calls for Kavanaugh’s Impeachment Come Amid New Misconduct Allegations
    "President Trump and other Republicans defended the Supreme Court justice after a New York Times essay described a previously unreported story about him as a student at Yale"
    Source

Can this bias be spelled out any clearer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Thargor wrote: »
    First true thing you've said since you made your account.
    Have you been stalking me since 2018?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,884 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

But someday the story might be an interesting basis for someone thinking of making a retro ‘Dazed and Confused’ type movie.

They already made a retro 'Dazed and Confused' type movie. It was called Dazed and Confused.

They already made a retro 'Dazed and Confused' type movie. It was called Dazed and Confused.

I guess you're right. :)

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The law was horrific in the first place...it removed due process for the accused in college campuses, a violation of a persons human rights...a law Biden very much supports.

It's mad you can't see the difficulty here...this has also undermined the credibility of the metoo movement.

Can someone explain to me why college committees are investigating sexual assaults in the first place? Surely this is a matter for the police.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why college committees are investigating sexual assaults in the first place? Surely this is a matter for the police.

Because of the burden of proof. In he said/she said situations it means a low conviction rate. Colleges do it with a lower burden so they can be seen to be doing something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

That would allow for due process and rights for accused ( perhaps wrongly accused ) men. That just wouldn’t do ! ! !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Because of the burden of proof. In he said/she said situations it means a low conviction rate. Colleges do it with a lower burden so they can be seen to be doing something.

That seems very off to me. Civil authorities shouldn't be taking action on criminal matters IMO.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Trump hadn't had 4 years to fluck everything up when Hillary was running. She had her own baggage too and I still don't think the U.S is ready to elect a female president. Yet.

Just shows what a backwards sheithole of a place it really is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Flynn cleared, of course, but yet we were all told it was just a 'right wing conspiracy theory' that there was no legitimate reason for Comey to send FBI officials to the White House to interview him.

Barr just getting warmed up of course and when the American people slowly begin to see what really went on in 2016/2017, might make them think twice about voting more democrats into office.

He wasn't cleared. Barr's DOJ decided not to continue with the prosecution for crimes to which Flynn pleaded guilty based on "New" evidence that they had the whole time. They claimed that they were unlikely to be able to successfully prosecute despite the guilty plea. To say that this was dodgy is an understatement.

That seems very off to me. Civil authorities shouldn't be taking action on criminal matters IMO.

They should not. Title IX was a joke that lead to such a situation. It was ripe for abuse.

I get that there is a problem with prosecuting rape given the often private nature of it as well as some peoples' attitudes to sex but title IX was about as sensible as forced quotas.

• Advertisement

The Obama FBI and Mueller’s team didn’t care about the truth. So much was done wrong, in the coercion of getting Flynn to lie so he would be fired from the Trump team, and then the subsequent Stalinistic tactics to maliciously prosecute and destroy the man, that several FBI personal and some of Mueller’s team should be arrested, and the lawyers disbarred.

Roger Stone should be cleared next.

In a nutshell, Feminists convinced the Obama Administration (Biden was VP)that there was a Rape crisis on American Campuses....he then wrote to all 4,000 US Colleges receiving Federal Funding to set up College Committees to investigate all allegations of sexual assault and dramatically reduced the burden of proof, it has been a sh##show ever since.

That was back in 2011. There hasn't been a shred of evidence to suggest that there was a Rape crisis, not for the first time, it was a deeply dishonest claim in the first place.

Devos has reinstated due process....something Biden has publicly stated he is opposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The Obama FBI and Mueller’s team didn’t care about the truth. So much was done wrong, in the coercion of getting Flynn to lie so he would be fired from the Trump team, and then the subsequent Stalinistic tactics to maliciously prosecute and destroy the man, that several FBI personal and some of Mueller’s team should be arrested, and the lawyers disbarred.

they asked flynn questions. he lied. even trump tweeted at the time that he had lied. he pled guilty. the only only lawyer who should be disbarred is whoever wrote the recommendation that the charges be withdrawn. the only light in this is that he pled down from a higher charge so that higher charge is still available for prosecution should biden get in and nominate a non-corrupt AG

The prosecution was standard fare. I'm no expert but catching a perp in a lie has been a staple of prosecutions since forever. Have you never seen a detective show?

they asked flynn questions. he lied. even trump tweeted at the time that he had lied. he pled guilty. the only only lawyer who should be disbarred is whoever wrote the recommendation that the charges be withdrawn. the only light in this is that he pled down from a higher charge so that higher charge is still available for prosecution should biden get in and nominate a non-corrupt AG
    He didn’t lie, he had a failure of memory, which happens often. Even recent released transcripts note that the FBI believed he didn’t lie. An FBI agent wrote: "What is our goal? Truth/admission or to get him to lie, so we can prosecute him or get him fired?" Well, it obviously wasn’t the truth because the whole case should have been dropped when it was evident he didn’t lie. So the goal of certain rotten FBI members became one of getting him fired and prosecuting him... truth and justice be damned. Then Flynn was coerced into signing a plea deal stating he lied because our lovely government broke him, bankrupted him, and threatened to prosecute his son for something that probably wasn’t even a crime. That your side defends these type of illegal tactics by a government is disgusting.

He didn’t lie, he had a failure of memory, which happens often. Even recent released transcripts note that the FBI believed he didn’t lie. An FBI agent wrote: "What is our goal? Truth/admission or to get him to lie, so we can prosecute him or get him fired?" Well, it obviously wasn’t the truth because the whole case should have been dropped when it was evident he didn’t lie. So the goal of certain rotten FBI members became one of getting him fired and prosecuting him... truth and justice be damned. Then Flynn was coerced into signing a plea deal stating he lied because our lovely government broke him, bankrupted him, and threatened to prosecute his son for something that probably wasn’t even a crime. That your side defends these type of illegal tactics by a government is disgusting.

he pled guilty. the judge confirmed that he understood what he was pleading guilty to. flynn is a traitor to the US and how a citizen like you can support him is beyond me.

The prosecution was standard fare. I'm no expert but catching a perp in a lie has been a staple of prosecutions since forever. Have you never seen a detective show?
    Detective shows are entertainment. I guess you also think a prosecutors always gets the accused to admit guilt under examination, too?

We have laws and procedures involved in methods used and also with plea deals. The FBI and Mueller's team didn't follow them.

Detective shows are entertainment. I guess you also think a prosecutors always gets the accused to admit guilt under examination, too?

We have laws and procedures involved in methods used and also with plea deals. The FBI and Mueller's team didn't follow them.

there is a judge there to make sure the plea deal is correct and that the defendent understands what they are pleading guilty to. are you saying that the judge was in on it as well?

there is a judge there to make sure the plea deal is correct and that the defendent understands what they are pleading guilty to. are you saying that the judge was in on it as well?
    All terms of a plea agreements are required to be disclosed to the judge. Prosecutors did not do this. It was a willful misrepresentation to the sentencing judge, and worse, laid the groundwork for deceiving future juries and judges by the prosecution.

• Advertisement

All terms of a plea agreements are required to be disclosed to the judge. Prosecutors did not do this. It was a willful misrepresentation to the sentencing judge, and worse, laid the groundwork for deceiving future juries and judges by the prosecution.

i presume you have a source for that very serious allegation?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement