Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

amdublin wrote: »
    Oh dear, am going to guess that is the end of the press conferences again after Trump's histrionics and tantrum tonight.

Not to mention his treatment of the reports and how he dealt with a question that warranted asking and deserved an appropriate and civil answer. But oh no, that was not within Trump's capabilities today

Well he answered the question, she decided to play victim and bring race into it - he didn't direct the answer to her she asked a question and he answered...

Done... now the media will be "Trump is racist against Chinese" ... yeah sure :rolleyes:

Love the way the media are angry at Trump here, but have no issues with China at all - you know the country where all this started and they tried to cover it up, and even had the WHO saying human to human transmission was not possible - in January.

But Trump is the bad guy because he answered a question honestly to a lady who happens to be Chinese American - would it have been "racist" if she were any other race ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Well he answered the question, she decided to play victim and bring race into it - he didn't direct the answer to her she asked a question and he answered...

Done... now the media will be "Trump is racist against Chinese" ... yeah sure :rolleyes:

Love the way the media are angry at Trump here, but have no issues with China at all - you know the country where all this started and they tried to cover it up, and even had the WHO saying human to human transmission was not possible - in January.

But Trump is the bad guy because he answered a question honestly to a lady who happens to be Chinese American - would it have been "racist" if she were any other race ?

You're doing just what Trump did - deflecting to blaming China when the question he was asked was ... why the president constantly emphasises that the US is doing better than any other country when it comes to testing.

“Why does that matter?” she queried. “Why is this a global competition to you if every day Americans are still losing their lives and we are still seeing more cases every day?”

housetypeb wrote: »
    You're doing just what Trump did - deflecting to blaming China when the question he was asked was ... why the president constantly emphasises that the US is doing better than any other country when it comes to testing.

“Why does that matter?” she queried. “Why is this a global competition to you if every day Americans are still losing their lives and we are still seeing more cases every day?”

Testing is a huge factor in the battle against this, look at South Korea,Iceland,Norway,Germany etc ... countries that have gotten a real good hold on this have tested tested tested...

It's a positive (pardon the pun)

Media somehow need to turn everything into a negative though...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Testing is a huge factor in the battle against this, look at South Korea,Iceland,Norway,Germany etc ... countries that have gotten a real good hold on this have tested tested tested...

agreed that testing is a huge part of thi but why has it taken trump so long to realise this? and will he distribute tests to the states that require them or hold them back for the states that support him?

Love the way the media are angry at Trump here, but have no issues with China at all
    - you know the country where all this started and they tried to cover it up, and even had the WHO saying human to human transmission was not possible - in January.

it is entirely possible to be angry at two enitities at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

That's your answer to the question,and if Trumps answer had been along those lines,fair enough...
    but your president replied
    “Well, they are losing their lives everywhere in the world. Maybe that is a question you should ask China. Don’t ask me. Ask China that question. When you ask China that question you may get a very unusual answer.”

The president then called on another reporter, Kaitlan Collins of CNN,...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Trump seems particularly rattled by women asking him questions.

Quite the temper in fact, maybe it is why Melania always looks like she is spelling out "Help me!" with her eyes.

That's your answer to the question,and if Trumps answer had been along those lines,fair enough...
    but your president replied
    “Well, they are losing their lives everywhere in the world. Maybe that is a question you should ask China. Don’t ask me. Ask China that question. When you ask China that question you may get a very unusual answer.”

The president then called on another reporter, Kaitlan Collins of CNN,...

My president ?
    Ha ... I don't care much about Trump, but I don't think he's that that bad - certainly no worse than the Bush father + son ...

He's bad - but not Hitler Hitler Hitler worst man in the universe bad ...

Just like Obama is good, but he's not some infallible God that just can't do any wrong either.

MSM portray them as these extremes tho, this is why people are sick of it and he won, irony is if the MSM had been more neutral he could have lost that election ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Tork

Blaming China at this point is the equivalent of shouting at the groom who didn't close the barn door properly. Meanwhile the horse is galloping through the fields and heading towards the motorway. We're all in the doodoo because of this virus and for now, trying to figure out how to stop it ruining our lives is the priority. Trump has handled this human catastrophe horribly.

The question the lady asked was perfectly reasonable and pertinent.

He uses his platform during a epidemic to boast, lie and sell division.

The question called out his bullshít, he had no answer, so it was a lady asking the question, who was Asian American.

The the temper kicked in, he insulted and stormed off. Classic Trump.

Another press conference he ruined himself because he is an absolute narcissistic man child.

Of course he will blame everyone but himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Boggles wrote: »

The question on every scared American's mind, isolated and fearful with only Weijia Jiang to get the real hard hitting answers they're looking for in this time of crisis.
    You've said many times that the US is doing far better than any other country when it comes to testing. Why does that matter? Why is this a global competition to you?

Perhaps he was trying to alleviate his citizen's fear with simple messages politicians the globe over use, naw it's despicable Trump; get him!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Why does striving to be at the forefront of testing in the grip of a global pandemic matter? What kind of stupid question is that? Of course testing matters, it's one area this country is falling down on very badly. I wish we were striving to be number one when it comes to testing, because how else are you supposed to know how to address the pandemic and who to treat without hard numbers and testing?
    Then she follows that up with some emotionally incontinent 'buh people are dying!', wouldn't that make testing even more important? WTF is her point exactly?

It's just a stupid question from a stupid reporter striving for a stupid gottcha moment. Congratulations to her, she got what she really came for.

2u2me wrote: »
    The question on every scared American's mind, isolated and fearful with only Weijia Jiang to get the real hard hitting answers they're looking for in this time of crisis.

Perhaps he was trying to alleviate his citizen's fear with simple messages politicians the globe over use, naw it's despicable Trump; get him!

if he wanted to do that he could have just mentioned the benefits of more testing. instead he had to say that they were doing it more than somebody else which is irrelevant. it isn't a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its a bit rich to be accusing Trump of treating this like a global competition when the media in the States have been comparing the US response to the rest of the world for months now.

The "thats waycist" element is sadly predictable.

if he wanted to do that he could have just mentioned the benefits of more testing. instead he had to say that they were doing it more than somebody else which is irrelevant. it isn't a competition.

I know I'm stereotyping here; but wouldn't many have agreed everything is a competition for Americans, even before this pandemic?

So she was just an uppity Asian Bítch?

Your 'big bad orange man beat me harder' syndrome is showing.

:pac:

He uses his platform during a epidemic to boast, lie and sell division.

The question called out his bullshít, he had no answer, so it was a lady asking the question, who was Asian American.

The the temper kicked in, he insulted and stormed off. Classic Trump.

Another press conference he ruined himself because he is an absolute narcissistic man child.

Of course he will blame everyone but himself.

How did the question call out his bullshít though?

She asked, why the emphasis on testing? Which is a stupid question.
    How about a reporter doing their damn job and challenging the assertion with, oh I don't know, numbers comparing testing rates per 100,00 to other nations?

I know I'm stereotyping here; but wouldn't many have agreed everything is a competition for Americans, even before this pandemic?

you dont win a pandemic.

conorhal wrote: »

Because the death toll from the virus there just passed 80k.

He is telling America how brilliant he is far more brilliant than everyone else.

Bigly, Bigly, Bigly.

My Brain is huge.

15 cases to 0.

Does it really need to be explained to you or anyone else?

you dont win a pandemic.

Indeed but American culture is different to ours.
    Another large factor is the perception that any American can succeed spectacularly if he or she wishes to. The myth of of the millionaire from humble origins persists even today. But to succeed, you must elbow aside others who would seize your prize before you can. That, in turn, fosters a culture of competition. Our dominant culture sees competition as a positive thing, as if life were always Darwinian and devil take the hindmost. We don’t just celebrate competition in sporting events, but in everyday life. We tend to view those who cannot or will not compete as moral failures. We see success as evidence of moral superiority.
    Quora

• Advertisement

Indeed but American culture is different to ours.

Quora

completely irrelevant when it comes to a disease and trump still hasn't figured that out.

So she was just an uppity Asian Bítch?

Your 'big bad orange man beat me harder' syndrome is showing.

She was doing her job as directed by CBS. I'm sure she followed their instruction to the word.

Because the death toll from the virus there just passed 80k.

He is telling America how brilliant he is far more brilliant than everyone else.

Bigly, Bigly, Bigly.

My Brain is huge.

15 cases to 0.

Does it really need to be explained to you or anyone else?

So. There 350 million people in America, add some context.

Like yourself, instead of asking factual questions she's flopping around on the floor shouting 'people are dying!' and hoping Drumpf mentions China so she can reee some more about waysism.

It was just:

I is smurt!
    No! Orange man bad!
    Meh whatwver..
    REEEEEEEE.

Is that what passes for journalism these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

She asked, why the emphasis on testing? Which is a stupid question.
    How about a reporter doing their damn job and challenging the assertion with, oh I don't know, numbers comparing testing rates per 100,00 to other nations?

Trump is continuing to provide perfect clickbait For every media outlet around. He always says or does something stupid and it’s easy to get a headline out of it.

I watched most of that press conference, he had a very articulate admiral with a med background talking about testing and some younger guy who spoke very clearly talk about the topic as well. Trump was his usual bumbling lighthouse of self greatness, but the questions posed by the media were soft, general and lacked facts, they revere him and are scared of him in a way that doesn’t happen here.

Maybe he has excluded the good reporters, And the conference is orchestrated to suit him but they should be able to Pull him on the clear lies he has told.

That question from the reporter was poor, testing is very important, but she could have asked far better questions.

Trump is continuing to provide perfect clickbait For every media outlet around. He always says or does something stupid and it’s easy to get a headline out of it.

I watched most of that press conference, he had a very articulate admiral with a med background talking about testing and some younger guy who spoke very clearly talk about the topic as well. Trump was his usual bumbling lighthouse of self greatness, but the questions posed by the media were soft, general and lacked facts, they revere him and are scared of him in a way that doesn’t happen here.

Maybe he has excluded the good reporters, And the conference is orchestrated to suit him but they should be able to Pull him on the clear lies he has told.

That question from the reporter was poor, testing is very important, but she could have asked far better questions.

she asked a very reasonable question. why put the emphasis on doing more testing than somebody else. it isn't relevant that you are doing more than somebody else. what is relevant is whether you are doing enough.

she asked a very reasonable question. why put the emphasis on doing more testing than somebody else. it isn't relevant that you are doing more than somebody else. what is relevant is whether you are doing enough.

So if other countries are doing enough, which they appear to be and the USA is doing more than any other country can’t you just consider that to be enough?

Reporter:
    You said many times the US is doing far better than any other country when it comes to testing, why does that matter? Why is it a global competition if everyday Americans are losing their lives and we are still seeing more cases everyday?

Isn’t the use of comparisons with other countries very very relevant in how the is virus is being tackled? We compare death rates, positive case rates and testing rates as a way of deciding who is doing well.

The question the reporter should have asked could have been along the lines of

Why are we only getting to this level Of testing now when 80k have died, the most of any country in the world, whose fault is it that we didn’t hit the promised testing figures in the past and why should we believe we can hit these figures now when you have constantly missed the targets so far for testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Trump did the right thing here. Better to walk away than get involved in her identity politics games. She didn't like China been mentioned so she made it about herself. When the media behave like this and he shows them up, it makes the president more of a leader.

Like yourself, instead of asking factual questions she's flopping around on the floor shouting 'people are dying!' and hoping Drumpf mentions China so she can reee some more about waysism.

So the Uppity Asian Bítch brought it on herself?

Classic "Dumpf" fanboyism.

Trump did the right thing here. Better to walk away than get involved in her identity politics games. She didn't like China been mentioned so she made it about herself. When the media behave like this and he shows them up, it makes the president more of a leader.

And who mentioned China...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He didn't answer the question. He said "ask China" like a big child in a huff.

She didn't bring race into it. She asked him to clarify his answer.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement