Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Brian? wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why college committees are investigating sexual assaults in the first place? Surely this is a matter for the police.

Excellent article here about the Title IX regulations that Joe Biden want's to reinstate across US Campuses, this denied due process to young men accused of sexual misconduct....the most disturbing element for me was the following (quote from the article)

https://quillette.com/2020/05/11/new-title-ix-regulations-protect-the-innocent/

"They were encouraged to provide an appeals process under which a finding that a student was not responsible for sexual assault could be overturned, violating the Fifth Amendment protection against double jeopardy, under which a defendant cannot be put on trial a second time for the same crime after being acquitted. "

It is also interesting to note that the author, who is/claims to be a software engineer submitted the piece under a pseudonym such is the climate surrounding political expression in the tech industry....

Advocating for due process for accused men is too dangerous a topic to put your name to in today's America....puts Biden in a tough spot though!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

The “ask China” controversy has to be the stupidest thing I’ve seen in a Trump press conference for some time.

That question “Why are you comparing us to other countries like it’s a competition?” was the most useless question a reporter in that position could have asked. Another one of these childish gotcha questions. “Mr President, why are you such a mean, mad orange man?” These people need to get over themselves and their BS notions of “speaking truth to power”.

First of all, the media have been on Trump’s ass for the last month about how the US is supposedly behind the rest of the world in testing per capita. So why were they ripping him then? Were they treating this like a competition? Or maybe it’s because it’s actually quite useful to compare one’s country to how other countries are doing? Yeah, I’m gonna go with that.

There was actually nothing supremely unique about the “ask China” comment. Whether you think he’s right or wrong, Trump has been consistent in his belief that China is responsible for allowing this virus to get out of hand.

And that crybaby “why are you saying that to me?” First of all it’s not clear that Trump knew she was Asian when she said that. (She was wearing a mask and he was quite a distance away from her and she has no accent that would identify her as Asian). And frankly there was nothing remotely racist about the comment anyway. Trump has said the same thing in various ways to reporters of all races over the past months. The fact that this reporter was Asian is quite circumstantial. Love how she takes off her mask then just to let us all know that she’s Asian in case we didn’t know. Wanting to make sure the cameras caught her face knowing she’d just made the news. We know this is why she took it off because if it wasn’t she would have taken it off before asking the question.

By the way the fact that she feels the need to let us all know she’s Asian by taking off the mask acknowledges that her race wasn’t completely clear it first. Yet she assumes that Trump knew she was Asian all along when she said “Why are you saying that to me?”

Trump was quite right to shut down the conference when the next reporter attempted to cede her time back to the other reporter in an attempt to keep the drama going because at this point we’re just watching a TV show scripted by Aaron Sorkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Can’t even hold a press conference. Once again he demonstrates his utter incompetence. He can’t even carry out the most basic tasks expected of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

amdublin wrote: »

Ps. Why does he say "Chy-Na" in such a weird manner???

Because he can pronounce it correctly without messing it up

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

As long as Trump keeps showing up the media for their dishonesty, he should win in November no matter what tricks they resort to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,584 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

As long as Trump keeps showing up the media for their dishonesty, he should win in November no matter what tricks they resort to.

WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    Or maybe it’s because it’s actually quite useful to compare one’s country to how other countries are doing? Yeah, I’m gonna go with that.

Speaking of the usefulness of comaring with other countries...

What did you think about his comment that Germany and the US were the bottom two countries in terms of deaths per hundred thousand, when this is nowhere near true?

And what did you think of his tweet yesterday, where he claimed yet again that America has done more testing than all other countries combined?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

In which case they have the most deaths by about double, and the most cases with over 5x the amount of the second msot nation.

But Moen of these are good indicators, and using them if every single person in the Faroes to catch covid and if every single person were to die from it, they would still be doing a better job of it than a good few nations, the US included, who have had more deaths than the Faroes have people.

That is why bulk numbers are meaningless and per capita are far better indicators. And as we know, the US in this regard is lagging behind comparable nations like Russia, Canada and Australia on testing despite having more cases and more deaths than any of them.

They have carried out the most amount of tests, they are not leading the table on tests per capita but by having done the highest number of tests they Have implemented large scale production of testing kids, media and lab capacity for test processing, they will eventually lead the table (albeit late for 80-100k people) on all meaningful testing stats.

This I’m sure will give Trump a reason to speak of his greatness at another stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The FOX talking heads were all moaning about Fauci last night so I guess we can expect to see that here today. It's a shame really. I was really looking forward to more QAnon-esque efforts to make Obamagate a thing.

It's a pity Trump wasn't willing to help his fans a bit more. All he had to do was give them something, anything. Instead, he just said the word at the press conference and choked, leaving his poor fans to feel compelled to make some noise about it but without any clear guidance from the top, they couldn't actually articulate what it was. You'd nearly feel sorry for the debasement that they're willing to undergo for Trump while Trump himself does so little to help them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yet she assumes that Trump knew she was Asian all along when she said “Why are you saying that to me?”

Trump knows her, it's not the first time he has acted like a giant man baby towards her.

If you seriously think Chy-na didn't pop into his head because she was asian american then I have some magic beans for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It looks like the Flynn case isn't over just yet
    https://twitter.com/thekjohnston/status/1260345636508938242

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

By the way the fact that she feels the need to let us all know she’s Asian by taking off the mask acknowledges that her race wasn’t completely clear it first. Yet she assumes that Trump knew she was Asian all along when she said “Why are you saying that to me?”

Maybe your first time watching one of these, but he knows most of the reporters. I even feel I know them at this stage. He's had a run in with Weijia Jiang before.

I was surprised it took this long for such a storming off TBH. They are great TV IMHO, he's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I see people online accusing the judge of being an Obama appointee, even though it was Regan that appointed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I see people online accusing the judge of being an Obama appointee, even though it was Regan that appointed him.

Regan, RINO!!!

Fake News, Bigly!

Something, Something.

Won't stop Trump applying pressure like every normal president forces the Judiciary in a functioning democracy /s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I dunno. It almost feels like it's gotten to the point either everyone involved in the Flynn matter has the urge to dip their big toe in the drama pool or it's another manufactured carnival sideshow from our celebrity media class. But if this judge thinks he can force Barr to continue the travesty leveled against Flynn and require Barr to prosecute him, I want some of what he's smoking.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    I dunno. It almost feels like it's gotten to the point either everyone involved in the Flynn matter has the urge to dip their big toe in the drama pool or it's another manufactured carnival sideshow from our celebrity media class. But if this judge thinks he can force Barr to continue the travesty leveled against Flynn and require Barr to prosecute him, I want some of what he's smoking.

your misunderstanding of the flynn situation is comical.

your misunderstanding of the flynn situation is comical.

Thank you for coming and don't forget to tip your waitress.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The judge doesn't need Barr to continue

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    The judge doesn't need Barr to continue
    I thought you were smarter than this.

Let’s look at the situation in a reasonable fashion. This judge Sullivan had accused Flynn of treason during the case and threatened Flynn that he better keep working with the prosecutors, even though the DOJ had already claimed at that point they were satisfied with his cooperation. With recent disclosures this judge looks pretty bad right now in the eyes of the nation and needs to save face for his past comments and actions.

So, either he still believes Flynn a traitor, or he wants to put the FBI and Mueller team over some hot coals for making him look bad.

I can’t believe he really wants Flynn prosecuted. Barr has no case (based on the FBI’s shady and underhanded actions) on which to prosecute Flynn and the judge knows this. The judge also knows there is no way to sustain a prosecution without the prosecuting authority’s (DOJ) cooperation. And Barr has already stated his department, after the recommendation of independent review, will no longer pursue any prosecution against Flynn.

So the only reasonable explanation is he wants to admonish the FBI and Mueller team. He'll have parties submit amicus briefs and then would bring Flynn, the FBI and members of Mueller’s team into court before him so he could ask questions of the parties. He knows given everything that has now been dug up regarding the underhanded methods and lies perpetrated by the FBI and Mueller team engaged in the Flynn case... that they’ll all plead the Fifth on the stand. Sullivan then would be able to humiliate the FBI and the Mueller team because they misrepresented the case in his court, thus providing the judge a saving face. But the question still remains.... will the appellate court allow this, or put an immediate stop to it, because they wouldn’t want this to turn into a clown show.

• Advertisement

Chuck Schumer, Senate minority leader, wanted a law enforcement investigation into Brett Kavanaugh for sexual abuse accusations. And he pretty much got one in the form of the FBI interviewing key witnesses.

Odd, when are the police, the district attorney, or the FBI scheduled to interview Tara Reade, Joe Biden, and their close acquaintances to see if their stories line up? Wouldn’t a formal investigation mean that women are being listened to as in the case of Blasey-Ford?

Fast forward to today. Chuck Schumer has now proclaimed Joe Biden’s denial of Tara Reade’s accusation is “sufficient.” So let it be written... So let it be done!

Schumer just hammered the final nail in the coffin of the #MeToo movement... done not with a bang, but a whimper.

Let’s look at the situation in a reasonable fashion. This judge Sullivan had accused Flynn of treason during the case and threatened Flynn that he better keep working with the prosecutors, even though the DOJ had already claimed at that point they were satisfied with his cooperation. With recent disclosures this judge looks pretty bad right now in the eyes of the nation and needs to save face for his past comments and actions.

So, either he still believes Flynn a traitor, or he wants to put the FBI and Mueller team over some hot coals for making him look bad.
    as you already know the judge rowed back on those statements. they were based on a misunderstanding. besides flynnwasnt charged with treason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Chuck Schumer, Senate minority leader, wanted a law enforcement investigation into Brett Kavanaugh for sexual abuse accusations. And he pretty much got one in the form of the FBI interviewing key witnesses.

Odd, when are the police, the district attorney, or the FBI scheduled to interview Tara Reade, Joe Biden, and their close acquaintances to see if their stories line up? Wouldn’t a formal investigation mean that women are being listened to as in the case of Blasey-Ford?

Fast forward to today. Chuck Schumer has now proclaimed Joe Biden’s denial of Tara Reade’s accusation is “sufficient.” So let it be written... So let it be done!

Schumer just hammered the final nail in the coffin of the #MeToo movement... done not with a bang, but a whimper.

If the dems were only half as good in this game as Republicans the party would have no issues keeping both houses and presidencies

• Registered Users Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Was Biden under oath when the accusations were made? Or about to be appointed to a lifetime government position? Just wondering what legal basis you're looking for investigations to happen. I mean, if it's 'it's before Congress' so you'd be o.k. with Trump's sexual assault allegations being brought up by Congress or the Senate?

Igotadose wrote: »
    Was Biden under oath when the accusations were made? Or about to be appointed to a lifetime government position? Just wondering what legal basis you're looking for investigations to happen. I mean, if it's 'it's before Congress' so you'd be o.k. with Trump's sexual assault allegations being brought up by Congress or the Senate?

what, all 25 of them?

Igotadose wrote: »
    Heck, I’d be happy if just the mainstream media would drop their double standards, biases, and hypocrisy for the moment and put as much investigative efforts, headlines and airtime into the Reade accusations as they did in the Blasey-Ford matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Heck, I’d be happy if just the mainstream media would drop their double standards, biases, and hypocrisy for the moment and put as much investigative efforts, headlines and airtime into the Reade accusations as they did in the Blasey-Ford matter.

You're funny,see how your mind sidestepped any knock on consequences to the question you quoted... and wandered off track?
    The question was "...if 'it's before Congress' so you'd be o.k. with Trump's sexual assault allegations being brought up by Congress or the Senate?"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I can’t believe he really wants Flynn prosecuted. Barr has no case (based on the FBI’s shady and underhanded actions) on which to prosecute Flynn and the judge knows this. The judge also knows there is no way to sustain a prosecution without the prosecuting authority’s (DOJ) cooperation. And Barr has already stated his department, after the recommendation of independent review, will no longer pursue any prosecution against Flynn.

So the only reasonable explanation is he wants to admonish the FBI and Mueller team. He'll have parties submit amicus briefs and then would bring Flynn, the FBI and members of Mueller’s team into court before him so he could ask questions of the parties. He knows given everything that has now been dug up regarding the underhanded methods and lies perpetrated by the FBI and Mueller team engaged in the Flynn case... that they’ll all plead the Fifth on the stand. Sullivan then would be able to humiliate the FBI and the Mueller team because they misrepresented the case in his court, thus providing the judge a saving face. But the question still remains.... will the appellate court allow this, or put an immediate stop to it, because they wouldn’t want this to turn into a clown show.

I'm smart enough to ignore the conjecture and ramblings above. The simple fact is that the judge is taking the course of action he believe best and is legally entitled to do so. I'd say it's about 90% certain he'll rule against continuing.

But as I said, he doesn't need Barr to continue.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I think his response to the pandemic has been great.

Well, If you take away the fact that he

Downplayed the situation from the start,
    Said it was under control,
    Lied about a vaccine,
    Promoted a drug that didn't work,
    Stormed off from Briefings,
    Threw a few tantrums at journalists,
    Asked about injecting disinfectant,
    Blamed Obama for tests that didn't exits,
    Blamed democrats,
    Kept calling it the China Virus and then stopped because Asian American were being attacked,

10/10

Fell free to add your own.

• Advertisement

I think his response to the pandemic has been great.

Well, If you take away the fact that he

Downplayed the situation from the start,
    Said it was under control,
    Lied about a vaccine,
    Promoted a drug that didn't work,
    Stormed off from Briefings,
    Threw a few tantrums at journalists,
    Asked about injecting disinfectant,
    Blamed Obama for tests that didn't exits,
    Blamed democrats,
    Kept calling it the China Virus and then stopped because Asian American were being attacked,

10/10

Fell free to add your own.

Said he didn't want to wear a mask

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement