Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The FOX talking heads were all moaning about Fauci last night so I guess we can expect to see that here today. It's a shame really. I was really looking forward to more QAnon-esque efforts to make Obamagate a thing.

It's a pity Trump wasn't willing to help his fans a bit more. All he had to do was give them something, anything. Instead, he just said the word at the press conference and choked, leaving his poor fans to feel compelled to make some noise about it but without any clear guidance from the top, they couldn't actually articulate what it was. You'd nearly feel sorry for the debasement that they're willing to undergo for Trump while Trump himself does so little to help them out.

It’s a mind boggling situation alright. This sequence of events has played out a few times during his presidency. It was just more of his verbal diarrhoea but some people seem to hang on every word he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

housetypeb wrote: »
    You're funny,see how your mind sidestepped any knock on consequences to the question you quoted... and wandered off track?
    The question was "...if 'it's before Congress' so you'd be o.k. with Trump's sexual assault allegations being brought up by Congress or the Senate?"
    My mind didn't wander off track. It's already been done.... It's history. As I said, I'd just be happy if the biased media merely did their jobs.

Where have you been? I guess you don’t recall when 56 female Democratic lawmakers asked the House Oversight Committee to open an investigation into a series of sexual-misconduct allegations against President Trump?

And I was fine with it. It's politics.

So now let's do the same with Biden, right?

(I see goalposts being moved in the near future)

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Boggles wrote: »
    Trump knows her, it's not the first time he has acted like a giant man baby towards her.

If you seriously think Chy-na didn't pop into his head because she was asian american then I have some magic beans for you.
    I wouldn’t presume to know the reason that anything pops into Trump’s head.

As I said, even if Trump did know she was Asian, that doesn’t make it racist. Trump believes China is responsible for the global outbreak. He’s given countless versions of “ask China” to every reporter at that conference. Her race had nothing to do with it.

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t presume to know the reason that anything pops into Trump’s head.

As I said, even if Trump did know she was Asian, that doesn’t make it racist. Trump believes China is responsible for the global outbreak. He’s given countless versions of “ask China” to every reporter at that conference. Her race had nothing to do with it.

Why do you feel the need to defend him?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭threeball

MadYaker wrote: »
    It’s a mind boggling situation alright. This sequence of events has played out a few times during his presidency. It was just more of his verbal diarrhoea but some people seem to hang on every word he says.

Stupid people thrive on soundbites. Its something they can parrot and pretend to be up to speed. Its like when Conor McGregor was first becoming well known he would throw out a soundbite and idiots from america to ireland would parrot the same few lines over and over. He'd have another few lines after a few weeks and they'd repeat those like a broken record for a few weeks too.

• Advertisement

notobtuse wrote: »
    My mind didn't wander off track. It's already been done.... It's history. As I said, I'd just be happy if the biased media merely did their jobs.

Where have you been? I guess you don’t recall when 56 female Democratic lawmakers asked the House Oversight Committee to open an investigation into a series of sexual-misconduct allegations against President Trump?

I don’t recall any such investigation happening?

I don’t recall any such investigation happening?

Me either. But the question was if I would be okay with Trump's sexual assault allegations being brought up by Congress or the Senate. Moving the goalposts now?

Have you heard of calls in Congress lawmakers asking the House Oversight Committee to open an investigation into a sexual-misconduct allegations against Joe Biden?

I guess the democrats thought their odds were better with a Russian collusion witch-hunt.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

osarusan wrote: »
    Speaking of the usefulness of comaring with other countries...

What did you think about his comment that Germany and the US were the bottom two countries in terms of deaths per hundred thousand, when this is nowhere near true?
    If Trump said something that wasn’t true then that’s obviously bad. Sure.

The allegation against Trump yesterday was that simply by daring to compare the US’s numbers to another country’s in a favourable manner, he was treating the pandemic like a competition in a way that wasn’t appropriate.

This is highly disingenuous given that media outlets the world over have been doing comparative studies of various nations. This is actually quite useful as it allows to gauge the effectiveness of different responses.

If the countries that are doing well want to boast about that, then perhaps it’s earned. Again, I’m not even addressing whether or no there was any truth to Trump’s specific claims because whether he was right or wrong, there’s nothing wrong with a competitive attitude.

The media has itself treated this like a competition by ripping Sweden up and down (almost rooting for the failure of Sweden in some cases) while praising South Korea and China who’ve used draconian lockdown measures to address this rather than pursuing herd immunity.
    And what did you think of his tweet yesterday, where he claimed yet again that America has done more testing than all other countries combined?
    Wrong. The US has tested more than any country. My guess is that Trump’s superlative salesman brain added the word “combined”. Part of the wages of sin at this point.

Why do you feel the need to defend him?
    Because he’s being wronged.

Over here we simply call that... Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Snowflakes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Wrong. The US has tested more than any country. My guess is that Trump’s superlative salesman brain added the word “combined”. Part of the wages of sin at this point.
    We've been over this before - you accepted that the claim that the US had tested more than every other country combined was incorrect then (as it is now), but rather than him doing it deliberately, you felt it was just him misspeaking, misremembering a statistic.

How many times does he need to repeat the incorrect claim (with the media highlighting his error every time) before you conclude that he actually knows what he is saying is not true, but he just doesn't care?

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Maybe your first time watching one of these, but he knows most of the reporters. I even feel I know them at this stage. He's had a run in with Weijia Jiang before.

I was surprised it took this long for such a storming off TBH. They are great TV IMHO, he's crazy.
    One question. Why did she take off the mask before saying “why are you saying that to me”. Why did she do that? She’s a self promoting hack.

As for Trump ending the conference, it seemed like an appropriate response to falsely accusing a president of racism in a press conference. Which is exactly what was implied in the “why are you saying that to me?” comment.

There’s no evidence that Trump wouldn’t have said “ask China” to a non-Asian reporter who asked the same question and a lot of evidence to the contrary

One question. Why did she take off the mask before saying “why are you saying that to me”. Why did she do that? She’s a self promoting hack.

As for Trump ending the conference, it seemed like an appropriate response to falsely accusing a president of racism in a press conference. Which is exactly what was implied in the “why are you saying that to me?” comment.

There’s no evidence that Trump wouldn’t have said “ask China” to a non-Asian reporter who asked the same question and a lot of evidence to the contrary

But why say ChieNAH in the first place?

duploelabs wrote: »
    Snowflakes

The majority of people are either Trump sycophants who think he’s the second coming of Jesus or Trump haters who think he’s Hitler (or Milo Yiannopolous).

Then there’s the minority of people (rational humans) like me who when Trump does something stupid or wrong, I’m happy to acknowledge the thing is stupid or wrong. If he does something correct as he sometimes does, I’m happy to say the thing is correct.

If he’s falsely accused of racial prejudice toward a reporter, I’m going to criticise that.

No matter what we think of his politics, could we at least make an effort to judge him objectively as opposed to just confirming our own biases all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

There was no need to mention China. This was an American reporter asking a question about the American response to the crisis.
    His "ask China" response just displayed an unbelievable level of petulance. The man does not have the intelligence to debate. He is the president of the most powerful country in the world and he behaved like a stroppy teenager.
    I'm expecting a "whatever? Duh" any day now.

Did anyone notice a week ago (when Trump was giving that press conference where he started showing a video of the media's coverage of him) the chyrons on CNN?

Personally, I think Trump behaves stupidly in these pressers. He allows his personal foibles to obfuscate the fact that his administration actually has things pretty much in hand right now despite his initially slow reaction to this pandemic. But the media behave like children during these pressers too. Engaging Trump's idiocy with their own idiocy.

During the conference where Trump showed the video CNN had a field day writing chyrons.
    “Angry Trump turns briefing into propaganda session”
    "Trump uses taskforce briefing to try and rewrite history on coronavirus response"
    "Trump melts down in angry response to reports he ignored coronavirus warnings"
    This one's a real doozy:
    "Angry Trump uses propaganda video, produced by government employees at taxpayers' expense"

Putting aside the palpable pettiness in whatever child they've got writing these things, they're EDITORIALIZING in the HEADLINES!

I seem to remember that good journalism used to demand a clear distinction between reporting and commentating. Reporting is just you telling me what happened. No opinions, just facts. Commentating/Editorialising is you telling me your opinion on what happened. It should be clear to me, the person watching, when you're doing one or the other and you should never be doing both at the same time. Bear in mind this was live coverage of a press conference. It wasn't an opinion show.

I don't really like it when Trump calls the media fake news because he does it without making the distinction between news stories that are outright fake, stories badly reported and stories he doesn't like. But when it comes to stuff like this I'm definitely on his side. CNN needs to grow up
    The majority of people are either Trump sycophants who think he’s the second coming of Jesus or Trump haters who think he’s Hitler (or Milo Yiannopolous).

Then there’s the minority of people (rational humans) like me who when Trump does something stupid or wrong, I’m happy to acknowledge the thing is stupid or wrong. If he does something correct as he sometimes does, I’m happy to say the thing is correct.

If he’s falsely accused of racial prejudice toward a reporter, I’m going to criticise that.

No matter what we think of his politics, could we at least make an effort to judge him objectively as opposed to just confirming our own biases all the time.
    Yeah, I'm not buying that you're just 'objective'

But why say ChieNAH in the first place?
    I fail to understand this fixation with the way he pronounces the word China. He says it that way quite often, I don’t think it’s correlated with what he thinks of the race of the person he’s speaking to.

He was pissed at the question obviously. He’s annoyed that China who let this thing get out (whether through a wet market or a lab) and infect the whole world and are only now starting to be criticised for their incompetence and cover-ups. He’s annoyed that given all this, the reporter in front of him is more concerned that he might trivialise the virus by treating it as a competition between countries.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He wasn't being racist imo. He was being a petulant man child, again.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

We've been over this before - you accepted that the claim that the US had tested more than every other country combined was incorrect then (as it is now), but rather than him doing it deliberately, you felt it was just him misspeaking, misremembering a statistic.
    When he said it before, he was misremembering a specific claim released by his own press team that the US had tested more than six specific countries combined. He was rambling and said “all countries”. It was obviously a mistake rather than an intentional lie.
    How many times does he need to repeat the incorrect claim (with the media highlighting his error every time) before you conclude that he actually knows what he is saying is not true, but he just doesn't care?
    Now your conflating two separate instances. Trump had a valid excuse last time. Now he doesn’t. Both those things can be true at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

notobtuse wrote: »

Still haven't answered the question though. Just the usual mishmash of wishful thinking,daydreams and digs.
    (Moving goalposts certainly could be a third job for you in your future, thanks for sharing.)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Now your conflating two separate instances. Trump had a valid excuse last time. Now he doesn’t. Both those things can be true at once.
    So you agree that at this stage, he is deliberately making that incorrect claim to mislead the public (to his advantage)?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,765 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Leaving all bias aside he is, literally, the dumbest least impressive inarticulate and nasty POTUS in history.

No getting away from that.

And the MAGA guys know it too but because the vast majority of them are losers and failures in their own lives they are delighted to have the rest of us inflicted with this ridiculous human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Maybe yeah. If you watch the footage with the camera on her for it all I think her mask is a bit rubbish, as she has to hold it up. As when she asking the question she is actively holding her mask on. I'm not sure she really actively takes it off as such. Then they cut the mic and I think Weijia tries to reply so moves the mask to shout and then they turn the mic back on for the next journalist and then Weijia moves again knowing she can be heard via the mic and is no longer really holding her mask then.

5:15 mins in here:

I would agree.

American radio show host Howard Stern has said that Donald Trump supporters are the people the president “despises most”.

The popular commentator, who was known to have been friends with the US president in the past, has made a series of disparaging comments about Mr Trump’s supporters in the past month.

According to the New York Daily News, who reported the comments on Tuesday, Mr Stern told listeners on his Sirius XM radio show that Mr Trump would be “disgusted” by people who vote for him.

“The oddity in all of this is the people Trump despises most, love him the most,” said Mr Stern. “The people who are voting for Trump for the most part... he wouldn’t even let them in a f***ing hotel.”
    “He’d be disgusted by them. Go to Mar-a-Lago, see if there’s any people who look like you. I’m talking to you in the audience”, added the radio show host.

Mr Stern then compared the dynamic between the president and his supporters as akin to an episode of “The Twilight Zone”, according to The Patriot News.

“I don’t hate Donald,” the radio host said on Tuesday. “I hate you voting for him, for not having intelligence.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-howard-stern-sirius-xm-radio-us-election-a9511436.html

joe40 wrote: »
    There was no need to mention China. This was an American reporter asking a question about the American response to the crisis.
    His "ask China" response just displayed an unbelievable level of petulance. The man does not have the intelligence to debate. He is the president of the most powerful country in the world and he behaved like a stroppy teenager.
    I'm expecting a "whatever? Duh" any day now.
    As I’ve said multiple times. Trump believes China is responsible and he was dismissing the question by essentially saying “rather than criticise me for turning the virus into a competition, criticise China for letting it out.” That’s what he meant by “ask China”. Not an unreasonable thing to put to a reporter when the media has been giving China a free ride for the past two months. He often brings up China in response to questions that don’t mention China asked by reporters that aren’t Chinese. This woman’s race had nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

But you wouldn't...a wiff of a reasonable position on a controversial President is too much for some.

There’s absolutely no contradiction between either of my two posts you quoted.

You put in bold the part you wanted to juxtapose with my other quote without bothering to acknowledge what I said right before that.

“I don't really like it when Trump calls the media fake news because he does it without making the distinction between news stories that are outright fake, stories badly reported and stories he doesn't like. But when it comes to stuff like this I'm definitely on his side.”

“When it comes to stuff like this”. That’s a pretty important qualifier don’t you think?

“stuff like this” meaning supposedly objective headlines infused with biased commentary.

Leaving all bias aside he is, literally, the dumbest least impressive inarticulate and nasty POTUS in history.

And the MAGA guys know it too but because the vast majority of them are losers and failures in their own lives they are delighted to have the rest of us inflicted with this ridiculous human being.
    Well I guess that’s not biased at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

If the vast majority of the 60,000,000 million voters are failures and losers, that is some indictment of the 8 years of The Obama Administration....if Trump is the worst President in American history, then surely Obama must have been the 2nd worst.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement