Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime rr50 se vs Ksyrium Elites

Options
  • 31-01-2020 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Thinking of a wheel upgrade

Any opinions on Prime rr50 se vs Ksyrium elites

I'm not racing. Most of my riding will be 1 or 2 hour solo spins and Sunday club spins around Galway/Mayo. Note that rr50s come with tubes and tyres which needs to be factored into price comparison.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Thinking of a wheel upgrade

Any opinions on Prime rr50 se vs Ksyrium elites

I'm not racing. Most of my riding will be 1 or 2 hour solo spins and Sunday club spins around Galway/Mayo. Note that rr50s come with tubes and tyres which needs to be factored into price comparison.

I’ve got the RP50’s which share a lot with the RR50 from what I know, mine are tubs as opposed to clinchers. I can’t fault them, they roll well, are decently wide. I can’t say I’ve ever found them lacking in stiffness either, but I don’t put out massive power.

I’ve not ridden Ksyrium but just on the face value, they aren’t as deep a wheel so you probably give up a little speed on the flat for the slightly lighter and better-in-the-wind Mavics. I don’t think the 50g or so between the two would be noticed up a climb!

Personally I’d go for the Primes for the aero benefit but both are good sets of wheels!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd go for the mavics simply because the logos on the primes look tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've not ridden the primes but any set of Mavics I've had (4 sets) have been bombproof except when I collided with a wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I've no idea about the Prime RR50 but would recommend them over the Mavic Ksyriums.

I've had two sets of Ksyriums over the years, first set I got about 30k kms on without ever an issue. I was nervous about the low spoke count as I'm over the 100kg mark but they were rock solid over all sorts of terrain. I never even had to true the wheel or service the hub/bearings. In the end the sidewalls of the rear wheel had hairline fractures from wear and the freehub was whining it's Mavic scream.
    I got another set given previous experience but modern Mavics haven't a patch on the old. I only got about 8k kms on them before the back rim wore away and failed spectacularly with a blow out.

Both sets of wheels on the same bike with good quality pads such as Swisstop Green and then Blue and Koolstop Salmon. I regularly cleaned the pads also removing shards of embedded aluminum to prolong life so very disappointed with the second set.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

i'd go for the mavics simply because the logos on the primes look tacky.

Apparently they come with black replacement decals to address this issue for the less flamboyant among us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

Planet X have a deal on Selcoff Carbon wheels at the moment also. Similar money to the Primes.

Haven’t seen many reviews of them. I have the mavic’s and I like the tubeless set up. A mate has the primes and really likes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Cormo87

I got the same set of Prime Wheels and can't fault them, I have them a year. You do get black stickers to replace the silver ones if you want but I've left my silver ones on as they look better in real life than in the photos. Looking at getting tan wall tyres soon so will probably put on the black stickers on when they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Cormo87 wrote: »
    I got the same set of Prime Wheels and can't fault them, I have them a year. You do get black stickers to replace the silver ones if you want but I've left my silver ones on as they look better in real life than in the photos. Looking at getting tan wall tyres soon so will probably put on the black stickers on when they come.

So are the silver stickers are easily removed??

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Cormo87

I hope so!!! I'm sure they're easier to change when you first get the wheels compared to after a year. The stickers are big enough so if you got one side up off the rim the rest of it should come off easily

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Cormo87 wrote: »
    I hope so!!! I'm sure they're easier to change when you first get the wheels compared to after a year. The stickers are big enough so if you got one side up off the rim the rest of it should come off easily

Hairdryer for the win

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

+1 , I wouldn't replace the stickers, just take them off altogether, must be a gram or so weight saving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

I've had 2 sets of Ksyriums - not the Elites, but the ones just below them in the range. First set the rear failed after about 12000km when a spoke pulled through the rim. They'd seen a heap of abuse but had been bombproof in use, never needing trued. Not so the 2nd set. After only a couple of thousand km, half the spokes on the rear wheel had twisted 90 degrees and it had gone out of true. The local LBS managed to effectively rebuild it and get it mostly true, but it's still not great. His take was that Mavic quality control over the past 5 years or so has gone out the window as he'd seen a bunch of wheels with similar issues. Not sure I'd be going for another set of them TBH.

As for the Primes - can't say anything for or agin other than that they look nice, decals notwithstanding!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Reading reviews, wiggle used to be quite good at warranty and servicing issues. Not sure if that is still true considering their recent cost cutting measures but if it is still good it is worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

CramCycle wrote: »
    Reading reviews, wiggle used to be quite good at warranty and servicing issues. Not sure if that is still true considering their recent cost cutting measures but if it is still good it is worth considering.

Not wheels, but recently had to return a Garmin unit to Wiggle, had issues within a week of purchase. I asked before I returned if I just ordered a new one could they refund me for the return as I didn't want to be without the unit any longer than necessary, they said no problem, I've done this before with clothing items from them and usually get the refund within a few days, but this time it took over 3 weeks to get the refund. Found them a complete pain to deal with, unlike previous experiences. Kept getting fobbed off and passed between agents. Would be very wary of buying anything high end off them that you may need warranty/service support on as a result.

Advertisement