Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What TDs will lose their seat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,045 ✭✭✭✭L1011

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Malcolm Byrne, after only 8 days in Leinster house.... tough game.

I've been in Leinster House more often and I'm not a politician

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

BOBBY AYLWARD, FF gone in Carlow/Kilkenny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

L1011 wrote: »
    Useless envelope-opening photo bomber O’Rourke gone for FF in Kildare North

Delighted for the greasy headed clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I'm disappointed Amadain O'Riordain looks set to get his seat back
    That has been expected expected since the retirements were announced. He and Nash were two great hopes. Nash still in it in Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

True but I'm still disappointed

He was a brutal Minister and very very unlikeable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Paschal Donoghue limps across the line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Paschal Donoghue limps across the line.

Was his glass half full or half empty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Useless envelope-opening photo bomber O’Rourke gone for FF in Kildare North

What will the Liffey Champion ever do now that their brightest star is gone? The bould Frank been filling the pages cutting ribbons for years. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Eugene Murphy gone in Roscommon Galway,

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Was his glass half full or half empty?

Eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Mick Barry is still in with a shout of a retaining his seat in cork north central when it wasn't looking great in the run in. He still might lose his seat because tony Fitzgeralds of FFs votes are being distributed and ken O 'Flynn who ran as an independent but is FF really you'd assume would get a good chunk of transfers from a FF candidate and he's less than a thousand votes behind mick Barry. Interesting.

Hopefully Barry will be gone, a miserable little zealot. If you can imagine Joe Sherlock with less charisma and more dogma. Thats Barry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Catherine Byrne FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Catherine Byrne gone

Another minister bites the bullet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Catherine Byrne gone

Another minister bites the bullet

She's the one who was mouthing off about people with "trolleys full of drink" who wouldn't pay water charges, and I believe she was involved in some kind of controversy ref her daughter playing the system so to speak?

https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/617385174658121728?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Dooley gone in Clare.

letowski wrote: »
    Dooley gone in Clare.

Listened in on Clare FM, it was musical chairs on the last count and Dooley happened to lose out. Scenes.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    What will the Liffey Champion ever do now that their brightest star is gone? The bould Frank been filling the pages cutting ribbons for years. :pac:

Average issue recently has relied on Stagg press releases for half the updates on schools/roads/railways and Frank photos for the rest so they might actually have to hire some journalists now!

Listened in on Clare FM, it was musical chairs on the last count and Dooley happened to lose out. Scenes.

Very exciting. Just 1,500 odd votes between the top 5 candidates for the 4 seats. Dooley and Breen (Minister for State) big heavy hitters knocked out.

Big change in Clare for a county that's quite pro-establishment.

Recount?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Recount?

Doubt it. The gap between him and the next candidate was 715 votes. You'd need unprecedented incompetence for the count staff to make a mistake with that many votes, and for nobody to notice.

• Advertisement

Doubt it. The gap between him and the next candidate was 715 votes. You'd need unprecedented incompetence for the count staff to make a mistake with that many votes, and for nobody to notice.

I thought we'd be snowed under with recounts at this stage. None called yet?

I thought we'd be snowed under with recounts at this stage. None called yet?

Was one in Tallaght for a 2 vote difference at an exclusion decision; no difference found.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

letowski wrote: »
    Very exciting. Just 1,500 odd votes between the top 5 candidates for the 4 seats. Dooley and Breen (Minister for State) big heavy hitters knocked out.

Big change in Clare for a county that's quite pro-establishment.

I'd say had Hearty stood for re-election him would have absolutely walked it with a huge surplus.

Interesting to see that the 2 Party heavyweights lost out but their "junior" running mates got in..

Wonder was it tactical voting gone slightly wrong - People voting for the number 2 thinking that the Main guy was a lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I really thought Catherine Byrne would call a recount but thankfully she has conceded.

This woman is hated in Inchicore - where she's from. The votes from Walkinstown and Terenure were what got her this far along in the count.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

kilns wrote: »
    Typical Irish electorate, oh we had great days in Croke Park lets vote for him and as for the Kerry people who vote for the Healy Raes, Ireland should not have to suffer these backwater goons. I propose Kexit

Mind telling us what constituency you are in because as sure as hell I bet we would find a politician that gets elected purely on local basis.
    kilns wrote: »
    Thats the whole point they are not national politicians. They only care about a small part of the country. Theyd rather fix a pot hole on a back road in Kerry than solve the housing crisis in nationally if it doesnt affect "their people". As for Dannys idiotic climate comments

As Berties_horse points out even in the US, where they came up with term pork barrel, all politics is local.
    Watch US senators fight for their states.
    Tip O'Neill coined it best decades ago: "All politics is local". The Healy-Raes have refined this maxim to a high art.

I get sick an tired of mainly Eastern or Dublin voters basically looking down their noses complaining about the parish pump and rural voters as if they are somehow inhabitting different universes.
    The same ones that would be lauding what Tony Gregory did for inner city Dublin are poking fun at the Healy Raes.
    The same somes that lambast voters for putting lowry back in would be in ara that voted in bertie, haughey, lawlor.

Haughey was adept at looking after his patch.
    Bertie was siting the new childrens hospital in his old employer and his constituency.

I am not allowed discuss …

Was one in Tallaght for a 2 vote difference at an exclusion decision; no difference found.

And another now for 9 between two candidates at elimination (who would likely transfer well to each other and could catapult the other up). 9 is on the upper end of a potential problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

jmayo wrote: »
    Mind telling us what constituency you are in because as sure as hell I bet we would find a politician that gets elected purely on local basis.

As Berties_horse points out even in the US, where they came up with term pork barrel, all politics is local.

I get sick an tired of mainly Eastern or Dublin voters basically looking down their noses complaining about the parish pump and rural voters as if they are somehow inhabitting different universes.
    The same ones that would be lauding what Tony Gregory did for inner city
    Dublin are poking fun at the Healy Raes or Lowry.

Bertie was siting the new childrens hospital in his old employer and his constituency.

Of course they all have local but when elected they work for the greater national population. The Healy Raes have no interest in the national interest whatsover as I said if you asked them they would even probably tell you they would rather fix a pot hole in some back road in Kerry rather than help solve the housing crisis. Sure they dont bother to turn up to committee meetings as they have to attend funerals of contituents etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

jmayo wrote: »

The same ones that would be lauding what Tony Gregory did for inner city Dublin are poking fun at the Healy Raes.
    The same somes that lambast voters for putting lowry back in would be in ara that voted in bertie, haughey, lawlor.

Lowry is Lowry and I think the commentary about his continual topping of the poll has more to do with his history of "legal issues" than the parish pump.

In the case of the Healy-Raes whilst you are correct all politicians will pull favours for their local areas the thing about them is that I honestly cannot remember a single instance where they have expressed a desire or interest in voting for anything of importance at a national level.

They are utterly exclusively tribal and local - They'd vote for WW3 if they got a new school built in Kilgarvan in return...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Lowry is Lowry and I think the commentary about his continual topping of the poll has more to do with his history of "legal issues" than the parish pump.

In the case of the Healy-Raes whilst you are correct all politicians will pull favours for their local areas the thing about them is that I honestly cannot remember a single instance where they have expressed a desire or interest in voting for anything of importance at a national level.

They are utterly exclusively tribal and local - They'd vote for WW3 if they got a new school built in Kilgarvan in return...
    and that's why they keep getting elected time after time.....its simple look after your people and they will look after you, many politicians don't grasp that.

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I'd say had Hearty stood for re-election him would have absolutely walked it with a huge surplus.

Interesting to see that the 2 Party heavyweights lost out but their "junior" running mates got in..

Wonder was it tactical voting gone slightly wrong - People voting for the number 2 thinking that the Main guy was a lock?

Very much so. Heath is a huge issue in Clare particularly after the closure of the A&E in Ennis (leading to chaos in UHL) which was Harty's calling card.

Both 3rd candidates for FG and FF transfers scattered.

Furthermore, Dooley I think got backlash for not achieving much in his time as Clare TD this last decade.

On the other hand, Breen suffered for some very high profile closures of huge employers such as Molex and Roches in Shannon and Ennis as well as no plan to mitigate the job losses of the impending closure of Moneypoint. Breen being the Minister for Trade, Employment and Business got a lot of blame for that in the county (whether justified or not).

Advertisement