Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulcher / Woodchipper

Options
  • 31-01-2020 11:04pm

Hi All

Looking at doing a clearance in my garden of hedging so i can fit in a polytunnel an shed. I want to mulch the garden waste and use it to prevent weeds etc between my veggies.

Any recommendations of one for around 150-200. i can see myself getting a lot of use as i have still hedging on the opposite that will need a lot cutting.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Hi All

Looking at doing a clearance in my garden of hedging so i can fit in a polytunnel an shed. I want to mulch the garden waste and use it to prevent weeds etc between my veggies.

Any recommendations of one for around 150-200. i can see myself getting a lot of use as i have still hedging on the opposite that will need a lot cutting.

Thanks in advance

I don't think you will get much for that money. Hiring would be worth looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I've seen mixed reviews of them but we have had two of the lidl ones (nothing wrong with the first one, long story) and have found them excellent. It depends really on what you want to put through them - if you want to mince large branches then you may well have to hire one, but for branches up to a couple of centimeters in diameter they work fine. Not happy with excessive amounts of greenery but winter branches and brambles etc are great.

looksee wrote: »
    I've seen mixed reviews of them but we have had two of the lidl ones (nothing wrong with the first one, long story) and have found them excellent. It depends really on what you want to put through them - if you want to mince large branches then you may well have to hire one, but for branches up to a couple of centimeters in diameter they work fine. Not happy with excessive amounts of greenery but winter branches and brambles etc are great.

Something along those lines is what i would want. I was looking at the bosch one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Shredder-System-Cutting-Capacity/dp/B001123CCO/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=bosch+shredder&qid=1580509336&sr=8-6

reviews seem mixed. my initial clearance would be a good bit of chipping and mulching but then it would be small amounts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Something along those lines is what i would want. I was looking at the bosch one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Shredder-System-Cutting-Capacity/dp/B001123CCO/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=bosch+shredder&qid=1580509336&sr=8-6

reviews seem mixed. my initial clearance would be a good bit of chipping and mulching but then it would be small amounts

Bought that one last year in an Amazon warehouse sale.
    Does a serious amount of mulching. My wife tells me it's a great machine. :)

• Advertisement

Bought that one last year in an Amazon warehouse sale.
    Down a serious amount of mulching. My wife tells me it's a great machine. :)

So would it be safe to buy it?

So would it be safe to buy it?

Only if you don't put your fingers in the chute :D

Only if you don't put your fingers in the chute :D

Haha

Haha

We have a lot of land and do a serious amount of mulching. We've had no problems with it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Have that one a few years now. Firstly.......good for grinding down stuff for compost heap, but developed into a bit of a pain as alot of stuff clogging it up. Constantly taking covers off and sharpening cutting blades.
    it's retired now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

I bought a MacAllister one from Screwfix.
    I wasn't expecting much at the price, but I continue to be surprised how useful it is.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/mac-allister-mshp2800d-2-2800w-100kg-hr-shredder-220-240v/727fg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That McAlister one is so similar to the lidl one that it nearly has to be the same basic machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 81r2

Hi. I hired what is reviewed as a premium electric unit for shredding ; bosch shredder axt 25 tc. Highly rated among different websites. It's around €400+, but seen it cheaper on occasion with Amazon warehouse. Anyway, it pulls the branches in, reducing them to inch square pieces. When I hired it, the branches continuously got stuck. Braches were 1 inch diameter absolute max, didn't hire again. I've an Einhell shredder, which you feed in branches and they chip them. This is a 2500 watt machine, powerful, but you need to keep sharpening the blades, maybe every 4 hours of shredding. And the chute does block sometimes. If you've leylandii hedging, my experience is that these machines are not up to it. The Einhell machine I own or bosch unit, would suffice for other tree clippings like Laurel or grisdolinia. For your budget, might you consider second hand. Bring a sample of hedgeing you will be shredding and fire it through, should give you an indication of usefulness for your jobs.

I have the bosch AXT Rapid,
    Its an absolute beast of a thing but as you say it will get get blocked.
    Depends on how waxy your leaves/branches are.Its a pain in the ring if it does start blocking.
    I usually put it in an empty 1000kg gravel bag and mulch away ,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Have both of these, B&Q branded version of the second one. The Bosch needs blades sharpened or replaced very regularly and becomes a pain to use if you don't do this. The MacAllister / B&Q mulcher is a far better device in my opinion, taking much less maintenance, much quieter, and handling wider diameter and more awkward shaped trimmings. Both will jam if you give them too much leafy stuff without enough woody stuff to keep the mechanisms clear.

smacl wrote: »
    Have both of these, B&Q branded version of the second one. The Bosch needs blades sharpened or replaced very regularly and becomes a pain to use if you don't do this. The MacAllister / B&Q mulcher is a far better device in my opinion, taking much less maintenance, much quieter, and handling wider diameter and more awkward shaped trimmings. Both will jam if you give them too much leafy stuff without enough woody stuff to keep the mechanisms clear.

Thanks, went with the MacAllister one. Will be using it at the weekend if its dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to chip alot of dry thatch reeds. About 20 medium sized trailer loads. The reeds are up to 6ft long and dry and stronger than straw.

Domac hire diesel chipper for 300 per weekend, would this do the job?

Is there anything out there for under 1000 euro to buy which could do the job?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'm guessing that those are very fibrous. I recommend that you go for one that has a cutting action with sharpenable blades rather than the crusher type.

Advertisement