Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to upgrade?

Options
  • 01-02-2020 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi all.
    This is my current setup but looking to upgrade to take advantage of the monitors capabilities.
    Would a amd 5700xt be the way to go? Or maybe keeping the vega and upgrade to ryzen 7 3700x Motherboard and Ram.
    Which would be the best route for highest settings at 144hz 1440 resolution gaming ex battlefield v etc?

Thanks in advance budget 500 yoyos

I should say I wouldn't be overclocking unless it's really easy to do :)

HANNspree HG324QJB 32-Inch 144 Hz 
    16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400
    ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2
    3000GB WD Red WD30EFRX
    ASRock Z170 Pro4S Intel Z170
    Intel Core i7 6700 4x 3.40GHz
    550 Watt Seasonic G Series Modular 80+ Gold
    Asus Radeon RX VEGA 56 ROG Strix OC 8GB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GPU although you'll be bottlenecked by the resolution either way.

For Battlefield, AMD cards are the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

If just one thing, the graphics card, a 5700xt or 2070 super.

If you want an idea of how well the 6700 does at 144hz just run games at low resolution and settings temporarily to see the cpu ceiling in games you are playing. in most games it's still pretty OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

You can overclock your 6700 using an old bios, should be able to get 4.2mhz to 4.5mhz stable if you have a decent cpu cooler.
    https://play3r.net/news/overclock/overclocking-news/intel-non-k-processors-can-now-be-overclocked-on-z170-bios-files-inside/

The 3700x will not give you much more gaming performance over the 6700 @ 4.5mhz

I would not buy a cpu until gaming performance improves by 20%+

You could sell the vega 56 for €200 and buy a 2080 Super. But even a 2080 super will not get you 1440p 144fps Max on all games.

The Navi refresh and Ampere cards are to be released this year but if you can't wait I would buy a Nvidia card as they hold their second hand value better than AMD cards, mainly due to Nvidia not dropping prices on older gen cards in any significant way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Jo Satan wrote: »
    You can overclock your 6700 using an old bios, should be able to get 4.2mhz to 4.5mhz stable if you have a decent cpu cooler.
    https://play3r.net/news/overclock/overclocking-news/intel-non-k-processors-can-now-be-overclocked-on-z170-bios-files-inside/

The 3700x will not give you much more gaming performance over the 6700 @ 4.5mhz

I would not buy a cpu until gaming performance improves by 20%+

You could sell the vega 56 for €200 and buy a 2080 Super. But even a 2080 super will not get you 1440p 144fps Max on all games.

The Navi refresh and Ampere cards are to be released this year but if you can't wait I would buy a Nvidia card as they hold their second hand value better than AMD cards, mainly due to Nvidia not dropping prices on older gen cards in any significant way.

Averages might not improve much but 1% low's should improve a lot especially in bigger open world games with a lot of visible 3d geometry.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭simonp1

Lads Thanks for the replys took a long time to decide but this is what I ended up with.

Replaced everything bar the Adata nvme

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor
    Aorus X570 AORUS ELITE
    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil 8GB
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
    WD Blue SN550 1TB High-Performance M.2 Pcie NVMe SSD
    EVGA 750 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 750W, Semi Modular
    NZXT H510 - Compact ATX Mid-Tower PC Gaming Case
    Corsair LL120 LL Series, 120 mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED

Built it yesterday bar Battlefield v crashing a bit and cooler noise I'm happy

The old machine I have taken apart and will get my 8yr old gamer rebuild it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

How do you find the Red Devil noise wise? I've one on order to replace the Thicc III I bought which is hitting 60dBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭simonp1

How do you find the Red Devil noise wise? I've one on order to replace the Thicc III I bought which is hitting 60dBA.

Hi Samuel

Seems fine at least I can't hear it over the Wraith Cooler :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thanks Simon!

Advertisement