Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - main driver of car, but not registered owner

Options
  • 01-02-2020 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

I had a car crash last week (no one else involved and no one hurt) and my car has been written off. I am in the process of claiming from my insurance company and they have asked that I send my vehicle registration form/logbook as proof of ownership.

When I checked it yesterday, I realised that my dad is down as the legal owner of the car. He bought the car for me a few years ago just as I was finishing college and starting my first Job. I got a loan and paid him back for it but I obviously never legally changed the owner from him to me. I have just realised that is a clause in my insurance policy that I need to be the legal and registered owner, so I’m presuming now this will void my claim. Has anyone any experience with this?

I can’t believe it, just something so silly and genuinely never realised it would be an issue. I’m also pregnant with first baby and just can’t believe the terrible timing of all this.

Thanks in advance,
    Sarah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Are you the policy holder and the declared main driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SarahPL

mickdw wrote: »
    Are you the policy holder and the declared main driver?

Yes to both, I just don’t technically “own” the car. I am the main drover of the car, I’m the policy owner, I’m the sole driver of the car but the car is registered in my dads name.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement