Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low BER rating

Options
  • 01-02-2020 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi all,

Husband and I are looking into buying and we kind of fancy some of the red brick houses in Clontarf (the cheaper ones)

However, the BER ratings are very low, F or G, although the houses are double glazed (mentioned in the description) and they seem to have central gas heating.

What else could cause the BER rating to be so low? Perhaps poor insulation? If so, would it be expensive to fix?

Sorry for all the questions, we both have fairly limited knowledge when it comes to quality of housing.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

I’m not familiar with the houses you mention but older houses tend to have low ratings as the materials used & building methods may not be in keeping with current recommendations.
    Although double glazed, the house may benefit from having them replaced as newer glazing may provide better heat retention or may also be triple.
    Things like having a porch, based on my mother’s report, rather than opening into a hallway or main room are noted.
    Insulation is important in walls & ceilings but also the type of floor a property has can impact the evaluation.
    The age of the heating boiler, whether there’s an open fire, thermostats, air vents in rooms, the type of bulbs for lighting etc are all mentioned in her report.
    That’s all I can think of just now.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Touchee wrote: »
    Hi all,

Husband and I are looking into buying and we kind of fancy some of the red brick houses in Clontarf (the cheaper ones)

However, the BER ratings are very low, F or G, although the houses are double glazed (mentioned in the description) and they seem to have central gas heating.

What else could cause the BER rating to be so low? Perhaps poor insulation? If so, would it be expensive to fix?

Sorry for all the questions, we both have fairly limited knowledge when it comes to quality of housing.

Thank you

The single biggest factor which effects BERs is the age of the house. This will be how the insulation, or lack of, is assessed.

Agreed that the boiler efficiency is the next biggest factor. Electricity based system and Solid fuel ranges are the worst. Older oil / gas boilers are poor too.

Remember too that the BER is not an accuracate measurement of the heating efficiency of that particular dwelling, but actually its a measure of how it compares with dwellings of similar size and age

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Touchee

Thanks a lot.

I checked the BER cert number on the SEAI website and based on it: the house was built in 1920 (100 years old house😳) and the wall type is masonry.

Maybe there’s cavities in the wall that need to be fixed.

I just can’t tell if it would be a good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

More likely it's a single skin brick with no insulation of any description.

There may be limited or no attic insulation also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Old house,s may have very little insulation in the wall,s or the attic,the boiler may be old .there may be gaps in the walls or the door,s .
    you can put in more insulation ,buy the house if you like the area,
    If the price is right .i doubt if there,s any new house,s being built in clontarf.
    builders make more money from building apartments .
    you cant expect an old house to have the same ber rating as a new house .
    New house,s are built with insulation in the wall,s and the attic .old houses may just have a single brick wall with zero insulation in the floors and the attic and the wall,s .
    I see a old house being renovated .20 yards from where i live.
    the builder is putting in 3 inchs of insulation,
    he also put in a brand new roof with new tiles and new insulation.
    the house he bought is 200 years old.
    he is replacing all the internal doors and all the windows .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

BER is full of faults. Ask to see energy bills for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

is this place a doer - upper or would you just hope to move in and leave it pretty much as is? if its the latter, you could up comfort of the house, by likely just spay foaming attic and stopping big air leaks, from the likes of front door, chimneys etc...

in a House with a low ber rating, you,ll need to put in more insulation,
    in walls, ceilings, attic,etc and maybe install a new boiler .
    Maybe seal gaps in walls and floors .
    In many area,s in dublin there has been no new house,s built,in 20 years.
    builders who can find a site prefer to build office,s or apartments .
    in dublin 1 all the new builds are apartments, hotel,s or offices.
    ber just reflects the energy rating of the house, low ber = higher energy heating bill,s .

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Touchee

Idbatterim wrote: »
    is this place a doer - upper or would you just hope to move in and leave it pretty much as is? if its the latter, you could up comfort of the house, by likely just spay foaming attic and stopping big air leaks, from the likes of front door, chimneys etc...

I just hope to be able to move in, without many changes and improve it over time. Thanks for the suggestions, will give the agent a call on Monday. Price seems really good for the area so together with the BER rating it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the house.

The place is on Howth Road, seems to be a nice area, but has been on the market since last year, although the price is really good

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I just hope to be able to move in, without many changes and improve it over time. Thanks for the suggestions, will give the agent a call on Monday. Price seems really good for the area so together with the BER rating it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the house.

The place is on Howth Road, seems to be a nice area, but has been on the market since last year, although the price is really good
    You’d have to get a survey done on it anyway. If you go for it. You likely wouldn’t have it until we are well and truly out of winter. You’d have a few months then to get things right , before the cold weather hits again ...

To put the ber into perspective , changing lightbulbs which cost nothing, even change the rating. Take it with a pinch of salt. It’s a guide

• Advertisement

Get a structural survey done, cost 500 euro approx,
    this will tell you if theres any serious problems with the house,
    it may need rewiring,if you like the house .its worth buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

We're looking seriously at a house with an F BER too. Some of the things bringing the rating down are that it is detached, it has an open fireplace plus no lagging jacket on the water tank and the light fixtures are not energy efficient.

So I'm taking the BER with a pinch of salt as some things that bring the rating down are easy to change. On this house the light fixtures, lagging jacket and open fireplace are an easy fix (e.g .installing a stove) and then a bit of insulation work (attic insulation and hopefully wall cavity insulation if the house allows it) and then it will be perfectly liveable. We would also convert from oil to gas and get a new boiler.

F and G ratings are common in houses built even just 30 years ago. Especially if they are detached.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hi all,

Thank you

Bought a house like that. BER of F

Replaced fire place with stove. Internally insulated all external walls. New boiler. Underfloor heating. Insulated roof. Beer of a B2 now.

Cost c. €30k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

BER reporting is very misleading. They will not distinguish between a sold stone wall and a cavity brick wall. Old georgian house I own has a 2 foot thick stone wall with an outer brick facade plastered. For BER it was deemed the same as a cavity brick wall of less than 1 foot thick.

The insulation qualities are vastly different. Many Victorian building have very thick brick walls which act as decent insulation. Wouldn't be in a rush to insulate the walls as you may not have any need. It is likely the property has no foundations though as Victorian building tend to use a splayed wall instead. The damp proof course was normally slate and often fails.

I assume it is a and old workmen's house so quite small and BER is not likely to cost that much to heat either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 OnlyArchie

red brick houses in Clontarf (the cheaper ones)

It's all relative!

If you're serious about it, a survey is the only way to know what really needs to be done to move in and you can decide from there.

House prices in Clontarf are a strange one. Depending on what side of the Howth Road you are on you may be in a different school district, which has a big effect on prices. There is also a price premium for having a Clontarf address versus close surrounding areas but make of that what you wish!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

godtabh wrote: »
    Bought a house like that. BER of F

Replaced fire place with stove. Internally insulated all external walls. New boiler. Underfloor heating. Insulated roof. Beer of a B2 now.

Cost c. €30k

wow that's impressive, if I may ask - how long ago did you get this done and what sq meters?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Would love to know more too. Looking to upgrade myself.

Was it done by contractors or did you do some yourself? Single storey or two?

TIA.

Advertisement