Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about changing stem

Options
  • 01-02-2020 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

I want to raise my handlebar height.

I have a 130mm stem, which has a +6 degree angle.
    If I switch to a 130mm stem with a +17 degree angle, by how much will my
    handlebar height be increased?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what width handlebars do you take?
    i've got specialized hover bars on one of my bikes i'm tempted to take out - they've got 15mm of rise. narrower than most people would use though, 40cm centre to centre i think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in regards to your question, i think going from a 6 degree to a 17 degree rise will give you a rise of 20-25mm.
    that's just using a triangle calculator online rather than any innate knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

what width handlebars do you take?
    i've got specialized hover bars on one of my bikes i'm tempted to take out - they've got 15mm of rise. narrower than most people would use though, 40cm centre to centre i think.

It's for my frankenbike, they're mountain bike riser handlebars.
    20-25mm of a lift with the 17 degree stem would be worthwhile, thanks for info.
    I couldn't get my head around calculation. I never thought of google.

Edit.
    I've just used an online calculator.
    If I'm using it correctly, it means I'll get a height increase of 26mm and a 5mm reduction in reach.
    This is exactly what I want. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I want to raise my handlebar height.

I have a 130mm stem, which has a +6 degree angle.
    If I switch to a 130mm stem with a +17 degree angle, by how much will my
    handlebar height be increased?

Thanks in advance.

Here you go...

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

Bars are 3mm closer to you, 26mm higher

Advertisement