Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 6 Nations - Ireland vs Scotland match thread

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Erratic reffing ruined that game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭budhabob

Wouldn't be surprised if Furlong is fine and that was planned. Wouldn't be the first time!

He was down with cramp at 65-70ish, so think it was cramp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Win the game but that was worse than the World Cup. Problems ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Half of Scotland offiside there and all over Cooney, officials not bothering to call it

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Long four years ahead lads if that's anything to go by.

Awful. Just awful.

For God sake will you give it a rest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Is it now deemed politically incorrect in a men’s international rugby match to use the term “Man Of The Match”?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭A-Train

Not great but a win is a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Can't see this Irish team beating Wales or England, but delighted to see Cooney on, hopefully Murray will stay on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

It was a poor performance helped by how awful Scotland can be. At least they will def review this and learn lessons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Thank feck! Sloppy performance but a win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A win is a win is a win

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Sephiral

Saw Furlong clutching his calf or back knee before going off. Didn't look like cramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭KH25

Poor game from Ireland. Was hard to tell what the game plan was at times. Sloppy in possession and poor in the set piece. Some poor decisions by players too.

Can only hope things improve from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yess

Take the win but we need to step it up a gear against the Welsh next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is it now deemed politically incorrect in a men’s international rugby match to use the term “Man Of The Match”?
    Well they are men!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭fitz

This has been our best backrow performance in years.

Let's not get carried away.
    Good, but we need to impose ourselves more at the breakdown. Having said that, the ref was letting Scotland away with murder, so we can't be too critical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Engrossing watch really..

Hogg the difference.. lol

Healy could have been pinged there in that last scrum..

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Sentient being of the match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Wins a win, I guess..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

fitz wrote: »
    Super from JVdF.

VDF was really good today as well. Back row in general can hold their heads high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

That was a tough as f... test match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The back row was great! Kudos to POM, Stander and VDF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Superb last stitch defense. Good to get off the mark with a win and always nice to win your home games.

There were plenty of positives in the game but plenty of negatives too. Scotland brought massive intensity to that game and played as good as they can and still couldn’t beat us.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Scotland better then expected, Ireland not as good as we'd hoped. We'll take the win though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Dubinusa wrote: »

Without Doris it returned to running into people....

I just hope they don’t revert back and continue with Doris or Deegan at 8 next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Well played CJ.

All it took was a jersey change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well they are men!

Yes, and the award is now “Player Of The Match”, because presumably some woke people offended to the term “Man” and it’s now been changed to satisfy those libtards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yess

Take the win but we need to step it up a gear against the Welsh next week

I agree but we will need to step it up more than a gear. Wales will look at that and seriously fancy their chances. It was a game that Scotland could easily have won and at the very least it should have been a draw.

England will eat us alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭almostover

reg114 wrote: »
    Can't see this Irish team beating Wales or England, but delighted to see Cooney on, hopefully Murray will stay on the bench

Murray was better than Cooney today.....

But good to see genuine competition for the jersey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

A 7 point win is not “by the skin of our teeth”

Strange comment....I would have always though1-2 point would be skin of teeth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

steves2 wrote: »
    For God sake will you give it a rest!

Jesus wept, that's my first post all day.

Bury your head in the sand if it makes you feel better but we were playing a team that, outside of Rome, has won two 6 nations games away from home in 20 years. And we were awful against them. Huge problems ahead based on that 80, starting against Wales next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Scotland only have themselves to blame there. No discipline. A gritty win for Ireland. Breakdown was a refereeing mess. Probable would have given one of the Scottish loosies motm but Stander made some valuable steals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Really poor game, forwards failed to impose any structure on a bang average Scottish team. If they were in any way clinical, we probably lose this match, between missed kicks and Hogg's error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Absolutely awful officiating all game, I would be livid if I were Stander and had to take that many hits before the penalty was called.

There’s so much being deliberately ignored in games nowadays it must be infuriating to be out there playing.
    Closing the gap for example, Cheika was laughing that wasn’t called in the Welsh game as the line moved directly across in front of the AR. Then randomly pinged at the end of a close game.

They’re a mess.

Some good. Some bad. Some ugly.

Pack on the back foot too much against a group of forwards like Scotland.

Scotland could easily have won this and Wales will be a far bigger challenge.

We took silly chances at times and didn't really demonstrate much go forward off the back of it.

Unconvincing, will look ahead to next week before getting excited or concerned. We're miles off beating England going by today.

mangobob wrote: »
    I agree but we will need to step it up more than a gear. Wales will look at that and seriously fancy their chances. It was a game that Scotland could easily have won and at the very least it should have been a draw.

England will eat us alive.

Have to agree, realistically given the lack of ambition and poor execution against a poor Scotland side, Ireland will do well to finish 4th. Simply can't see us beat Wales, England or France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Wales won't be remotely scared at coming over next week.

I don't think we're in for a vintage year.

We were very, very, very sloppy. The set piece fell apart and what little structure there was seemed to be the Joe special of one out running.

I get that Farrell needs time to bed in his new ideas but I was hoping for a few more green shoots.

Larmour has now nailed 15 for me. He just needs to learn how to pass.

I don't think either wing did much.

Cooney should start next week.

Sexton was a bit iffy but he hasn't played rugby in nearly two months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

I should point out I feel they need to examine how to get more help to refs. The world cup was a disgrace all over the place. This is not helping. 30 players all trying to fool the ref and they have reached the point where the refs can't handle it.

Some, like playing it on the ground were mistakes and they will happen, but we at least need to see if we can give refs more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

almostover wrote: »
    Murray was better than Cooney today.....

But good to see genuine competition for the jersey

Really? He played a lot more of the match but better? Some good kicks by Cooney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    A 7 point win is not “by the skin of our teeth”

Strange comment....I would have always though1-2 point would be skin of teeth

In fairness its not simply a reference to the scoreline. It also applies to the fact that we got very lucky that Hogg dropped a ball over the line and Scotland created far more try scoring opportunities than we did but just couldnt finish them. Lets face it, it was a gritty performance and some heroic defending at the end but we squeaked home there.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Those saying ‘Larmour needs to learn how to pass’.

Name one occasion where a pass would have absolutely put Ireland in a better position than he did.

Faugheen wrote: »

Name one occasion where a pass would have absolutely put Ireland in a better position than he did.

Irony is Kearney played over 100 games in that position and his greatest failing was his own inability to pass.

Dubinusa wrote: »

Stander was the only one who stood out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Our wings were mediocre today. Dave Kearney would improve things on that front.

Hopefully Kelleher starts next week too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Faugheen wrote: »

It's not the point.

He's going to make it very easy to defend him if he doesn't keep defenders guessing.

See Stander, CJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Highlight of the day for me is Stuart Hogg throwing the ball at the try line. :D

Stander was the only one who stood out.

I disagree. VDF was excellent too.

KaneToad wrote: »
    I disagree. VDF was excellent too.

I disagree.

Good interview from Sexton.

• Advertisement

Highlight of the day for me is Stuart Hogg throwing the ball at the try line. :D

He thought it was the Superbowl.

Advertisement