Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scenic drive around Cork

Options
  • 01-02-2020 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi, any scenic drives in Co Cork but near Cork city?
    I might go walking in Gougane Barra but in case i get bad weather I would like to do a little drive instead.
    Ive done most of the ones on kerry side, like Glenlough - Ahakista, Healy Pass, some random road in sheeps head that went along the coast. I dont mind super narrow 1 lane roads.
    Maybe there is something on the Waterford side or towards dublin?
    Or in the very south?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

If you're going Waterford way the coast road between dungarvan and tramore is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Hi, any scenic drives in Co Cork but near Cork city?
    I might go walking in Gougane Barra but in case i get bad weather I would like to do a little drive instead.
    Ive done most of the ones on kerry side, like Glenlough - Ahakista, Healy Pass, some random road in sheeps head that went along the coast. I dont mind super narrow 1 lane roads.
    Maybe there is something on the Waterford side or towards dublin?
    Or in the very south?

I love the drive from Middleton to agahada to bally cotton to knocadoon and out to youghal. There's some nice beaches and coffee stops long the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Try the East Ferry on the Whitegate Road outside Midleton. It’s really narrow but you get great harbour views ( as in open the window and almost dip your hand in the water ) Only couple of km long and then you’re back on the Whitegate road again but there’s a little pub along the way too near a marina. You could then continue to Cloyne and on past Ballymaloe House ( they’ve a coffee shop too) to Shanagarry ( the Kilkenny shop have a place there with cafe ) and either go Ballycotton or Garryvoe, the beach in Garryvoe has great walk if the tide is out, then you’re back on the Youghal to Cork road. ( am I obsessed with coffee shops ? )

Oh and on the East Ferry, towards the Saleen end there’s a Dept of Heritage marker and across the water only 100ish Metres away you have the Rostellan Dolmen. It’s just out on the water’s edge and visible at low tide.
    https://www.ringofcork.ie/listings/rostellan-dolmen/

Stratvs wrote: »
    Try the East Ferry on the Whitegate Road outside Midleton. It’s really narrow but you get great harbour views ( as in open the window and almost dip your hand in the water ) Only couple of km long and then you’re back on the Whitegate road again but there’s a little pub along the way too near a marina. You could then continue to Cloyne and on past Ballymaloe House ( they’ve a coffee shop too) to Shanagarry ( the Kilkenny shop have a place there with cafe ) and either go Ballycotton or Garryvoe, the beach in Garryvoe has great walk if the tide is out, then you’re back on the Youghal to Cork road. ( am I obsessed with coffee shops ? )

Oh and on the East Ferry, towards the Saleen end there’s a marker and across the water you have the Rostellan Dolmen. It’s just out on the water and visible at low tide.
    https://www.ringofcork.ie/listings/rostellan-dolmen/

Id forgotten about east ferry, beautiful loop there.

The cork ironman cycle route which is about a 50 mile loop from youghal covers most of what we discussed.
    I was actually near tallow up at the back of killeagh and i could see garryvoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

While this takes you out of The County ;) into The Déise, the road from Tallow to Lismore is a nice drive and if you hang a left in Lismore ( but not before admiring the totem pole in the town park ) over the bridge past the castle you’ll get to the follies (the Ballysaggart towers) a lovely woodland walk with some interesting 19th century construction (Hence the name)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

If you're prepared to go as far as Gougane Barra then if you want a drive then head out the Sheeps Head.

Alternative would be Mizen - drop in on the lighthouse, stroll on Barleycove and lunch in Crookhaven

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'll just add, I personally love the Leap/Glandore/Union Hall area. Reen Pier is beautiful on a good day, and a cracking spot for kayaking and what-have-you. The Harbour Bar in Leap does good grub too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

frash wrote: »
    Alternative would be Mizen - drop in on the lighthouse, stroll on Barleycove and lunch in Crookhaven

the cafe at Mizen is a nice option for lunch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Lat time I was in the city I drove to Cobh, parked my car at the ferry and crossed to Glenbrook. I then had a lovely walk from Glenbrook to Passage West and then along the old rail line: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork,_Blackrock_and_Passage_Railway

I stopped in http://cinnamoncottage.ie/ for a coffee and a cake, and continued along the rail line across the water and into the city via Bessborough and Páirc Uí Chaoimh.
    I then caught a train back to Cobh and collected my car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement