Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car accident

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Jesus my insurance was only 450 last year. I'll be expecting it to be 900+ next year so.

As I said this was my conclusion. No one can tell you what will happen your premium.
    What I am trying to say is if the damage is not to bad to the other vehicle and no personal injuries are being sought, it could end up being cheaper to fix the other car yourself if possible and not to expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fergalicious

Well they probably won't be too friendly anyway.

Another car crashed into me 2 years ago, basically I was turning right and he tried to overtake me, he even crossed a solid white line to overtake and it was a legal right turn. Pretty open and shut case as far as I was concerned

He made up some bullshít about me not indicating (which I was) and his insurance company was insisting on 50/50. But I wouldn't accept it and hounded them, I rang every 15mins for 3 hours until they sent out an inspector, who thankfully didn't try to argue the case at this point. I never put in a bullshít injury claim, just got my car fixed up and €1800 for depeciation of the vehicle. They also paid for a replacement vehicle while mine was being repaired.

But I would of had to go through my own insurance if I had of just let it go, so be persistant.

My own insurance were about as useful as a pair of tits on a bull. I rang them to let them know what had happened and to see if they could give me some advise.

The useless fcukers advised me to take 50/50 and sent me out claim forms on 2 occasions even though I made it clear I had no intentions of claiming off my own insurance.

So be prepared for shenanigans!

Yay. Lots of fun so! Thanks for letting me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fergalicious

As I said this was my conclusion. No one can tell you what will happen your premium.
    What I am trying to say is if the damage is not to bad to the other vehicle and no personal injuries are being sought, it could end up being cheaper to fix the other car yourself if possible and not to expensive.

He's already called the insurance company so I did too as it's in the policy to inform them of an incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Well they didn't specifically say it was hiked because of that, it just mysteriously doubled on my next renewal after the accident.

Even though its a no fault incident (and luckily the guy who crashed into me was honest and genuine) it still gets recorded on your policy.

So when you look for a quote from another insurance company the question along the lines of 'have you been involved in and claims or incidents in the last 5 years' you have to let them know even if it's not your fault.

Anyway I managed to move insurance companies after that hike regardless and got a much cheaper and better deal elsewhere.

It's absolutely scandolous to up someone's insurance just because they were involved in an accident that wasn't even their fault and their own insurance was completely unaffected.

Same happened to me but I moved and got even cheaper insurance than I was paying before the accident. I move every year to be honest because it's always cheaper to move.

My favourite question though (it's absolutely brilliant) is: 'any accidents regardless of liability'. As if liability doesn't matter, the fact that you were part of the crash means you're guilty.

It's like asking somone, 'any rape, regardless of liability', it's absolutely ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You drove off not knowing there was a car in front of you and you drove into the back of it.
    100% in the wrong.

• Advertisement

and €1800 for depeciation of the vehicle.

You did well. Normally depreciation is capped at 10% of net of VAT repair cost (of less than 3 year old cars). Although they may have been eager to settle in full to wipe out possibility of a personal injury claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

When the guy crashed into me I offered him the opportunity to just pay for damage and not involve insurance, I got a quote of €800 from a local business (that was for new electric wing mirror, panel beater for drivers door and respray of three driver side panels plus spray new mirror) which he declined.

He told me he would go through his insurance instead, I was sent a copy of the final bill from insurance for repairs which was €2000.

And that's just the amount before both me and him paid the hiked up premiums.

You did well. Normally depreciation is capped at 10% of net of VAT repair cost (of less than 3 year old cars). Although they may have been eager to settle in full to wipe out possibility of a personal injury claim.

Yes I can't remember exactly how the figure was calculated, the car was only 1.5 years old and there was a fair amount of damage done. It might have been 20% repair costs, can't really remember.

I told his insurance straight off the bat that I had no intentions of putting in an injury claim, because thankfully there wasn't a scratch on me and I wasn't even sore. He ploughed into the front right wheel at about 70km/hr, if he'd have hit the driver door it would have made bits of me!

I'd say his insurance felt they got away with one because it was the type of crash where a lot of people would have put in an injury claim. I have no time for that though.

I detest anybody who makes false injury claims, they're vermin who cost us all and put a lot of stress on people.

My favourite question though (it's absolutely brilliant) is: 'any accidents regardless of liability'. As if liability doesn't matter, the fact that you were part of the crash means you're guilty

I was told that apparently if you are involved in an accident (even where its 100% no fault) you are deemed to be a bigger insurance risk and more likely to be involved in an accident in future, hence the premium hike.

I moved too after being with the same company for 10+ years and I ended up saving a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wait, what? This is ridiculous. How can they raise your premium even though somebody hit you?

You don't need to have an accident for them to double your insurance.
    They've tried doubling mine several times over the years and no accidents.
    That's part of the reason I change company every year with the last 20 years.
    I think if you've a claim you can't change for at least another year though.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    You don't need to have an accident for them to double your insurance.
    They've tried doubling mine several times over the years and no accidents.
    That's part of the reason I change company every year with the last 20 years.
    I think if you've a claim you can't change for at least another year though.

As far as I know, if the claim is closed then you're good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yeah I wouldn't be certain on the been stuck with them bit as I haven't had put it to test (touch wood).

As for the accident, it's a pity poor use of indicators isn't punished more.
    A lot of people seem not even arsed to put them on when turning (especially at roundabouts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

But a significant number of other companies either will not quote or will quote a "we're not interested" premium if you have had an accident or claim in the last X number of years.

I detest anybody who makes false injury claims, they're vermin who cost us all and put a lot of stress on people.

I agree. A good few years ago a Pajero driver drove into the drivers side of my car. Thankfully he mostly hit the engine of my car. My A6 was a write off and although I was forcibly flung sideways I walked away without a scratch, although fairly shook up. His car was wrote off also. I didn't make a PI claim.

But, here's the funny thing, the rear ending I was in back in August had a far less impact and I came out a lot worse. I have put in a personal claim. Ironically against the same insurance company I didn't claim against the first time.

Ironic, because I've had twinges in my back over the years that I suspect may have come from the first crash.

I was told that apparently if you are involved in an accident (even where its 100% no fault) you are deemed to be a bigger insurance risk and more likely to be involved in an accident in future, hence the premium hike.

I moved too after being with the same company for 10+ years and I ended up saving a fortune.

It's completely bs, it's just an excuse to rip you off.

I'm on my 4th insurance company in 4 years. I had stuck with my original insurance company for years and was paying €950 per year.

It was a stupid thing to do that cause I'm now paying €460 per year for the same cover. Amazing what you can get done when you shop around!

I agree. A good few years ago a Pajero driver drove into the drivers side of my car. Thankfully he mostly hit the engine of my car. My A6 was a write off and although I was forcibly flung sideways I walked away without a scratch, although fairly shook up. His car was wrote off also. I didn't make a PI claim.

But, here's the funny thing, the rear ending I was in back in August had a far less impact and I came out a lot worse. I have put in a personal claim. Ironically against the same insurance company I didn't claim against the first time.

Ironic, because I've had twinges in my back over the years that I suspect may have come from the first crash.

Well look if you've been injured then you have a legitimate injury claim, no issue there.

If I'd have been injured I would have put in an injury claim, but given the circumstances of my crash I would likely have been badly injured so I'm hugely relieved to have walked away totally unscathed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

When the guy crashed into me I offered him the opportunity to just pay for damage and not involve insurance, I got a quote of €800 from a local business (that was for new electric wing mirror, panel beater for drivers door and respray of three driver side panels plus spray new mirror) which he declined.

He told me he would go through his insurance instead, I was sent a copy of the final bill from insurance for repairs which was €2000.

And that's just the amount before both me and him paid the hiked up premiums.

A good while back the wife was quoted 800 to fix a bit of damage which was done to front bumper of vehicle during frost. She decided to put it through her insurance. Total cost of repairs 1850 .welcome to rip off Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement