Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cube Hyde.. anyone have one?

Options
  • 01-02-2020 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, looking at a S/H Cube Hyde during the week, and seeking owners views/problems with them.
    It's an 8 speed gear hub model with a chain rather than the belt drive some come with.
    Have a little B'twin folder but I feel like it's a bit too small for me.
    (I'm 6'2" and 110kg).
    Obviously not into road races etc, but want something solid and low maintainance., as I've started an office based job for the first time in my life and need to get some air....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Yeah, a few of us have the Hyde Race in various configurations. All belt drives IIRC, but no reason the chain version should cause any problems.

It's a great commuter. A touch heavy, but probably no worse than the B'twin. The Alfine offers low maintenance, brakes are very good, the riding position is a bit racey but not too aggressive. Consensus seems to be the handlebars are too wide for the city so consider cutting them down, I took about 3 or 4 inches off. I replaced the pedals and saddle as well for comfort and grip. The tyres are very wide and a bit ****, you can go as low as 32, and its worth doing if the originals are still on.

I think it would suit your requirements. What year, what size and how much is he asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Don't know what year it is, probably about 5 or 6 years old.
    He says its 60 cm frame, but the Cube website only mentions 58cm and 62, so don't know that either.
    Has a carrier and rear light run off a dynamo, nothing on the front.
    In Dublin so a bit of a spin away.
    Looking 240 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

A dynamo and carrier? Its not a Hyde, its a travel SL, 2015 or earlier as 2016 on all have belt drives, so its probably this or something similar.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cube-travel-sl-rf-city-bike-2015/rp-prod140214

It could be fine, but there's potential issues with the hub at that age, especially if it never been serviced. When you test it go into 4th and check for slipages, also listen out for grinding, slow gear changes, gears sticking etc. You will need a large frame.

€240 would be a bit steep unless its in immaculate condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Well, brought it for a spin and the size is perfect.
    Ended up paying €180, which was great.
    Carrier is aftermarket, and rear light is a dynamo type thing activated by two elements attached to the rear wheel spokes.
    Thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement