Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Celing lights...

Options
  • 01-02-2020 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry I know this is amateur hour, but I'm pulling out my hair here.

I've 2 lights in the sitting room running from the same switch.

I've replaced the one nearest the switch first. There are 3 cables. 1 cable with earth, neutral, and live. A second cable with a live and earth. And a third cable with a neutral.
    When I wire all live together with the live on the light, and all the earths together and all the neutrals together, that light works.

The problem is with the second light, furthest from the switch.
    There are 2 cables here. 1 cable with earth, neutral, and live. A second cable with a neutral.
    When I wire all live together etc, I get nothing.

At first I thought it was a broken light, so I swapped them. No joy.
    I then tried the old light, and weirdly, it was opposite to the first light (one would switch off when the other switches on - so working but opposite on the switch). I took this as a good sign and put up the new light again - nothing.

So I had a look online at lighting circuits and tried a few different variables, but I'm getting nowhere fast. :(

I'd really appreciate any advice, as I'm sure I'm just missing a combination for the switch.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Any chance of pic of cables at
    1st light

2nd light

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Thanks a million! but I've it sorted.
    Neutral at second needed to be wired with live.

All working now.

Thanks a mil meercat for helping

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭JL spark

Zulu wrote: »

All working now.

Say what

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Zulu wrote: »

All working now.

Sounds like the whole thing is all a bit amateur. Did the original electrician used brown and blue as their strappers instead of twin brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

ok. So I made a balls of it. Sitting room works perfect, however, hallway and porch lights are balls now.
    I've rang a sparks to undo my mess. Hopefully he wont fleece me for it. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement