Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil or LPG

Options
  • 01-02-2020 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All,

I’m looking for some advice about whether we should switch from oil to LPG....

The ancient oil combi boiler (heats radiators and water) packed up last week so we have to upgrade. I am wondering is it worth our while switching to LPG (we don’t have access to mains gas).
    To get new oil combi boiler with labour and parts we are looking at about 3k -3.5k. The advantage is that the plumber will do it next week in one day so we won’t be living in a house with no hot water or heating in February...).
    To get LPG I’m guessing we would have to take out oil tank that is fairly full, and then go about getting a gas tank put in the garden at the far side of the patio (possibly digging up the patio??), and then moving location of the boiler to inside the utility room which is a good bit away from where the boiler currently is. There seem to be offers from the gas companies for free boiler or free LPG and the combi gas boilers seem to be cheaper.

Does anyone have any advice on whether we should go the extra mile and get LPG installed? And what would be the cost of the extra work?

We had LPG in our old house and preferred it to oil.

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

There have been a few threads on this in the last few months, not sure how to post a link but a search should find them.
    Just be aware if you opt for LPG your stuck with either Calor or Flogas. I think you may also have to sign up for a 2 year contract.

Advertisement