Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work place - loan of money

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Markcheese wrote: »
    I was gonna say it's only defamation if its not true
    ,But there's probably no paper trail ,saved texts ,e-mails , and money probably given in cash ...

Just because something is true does not mean you can't be taken to court and loose over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d advise him to sit down with the manager, discuss a payment plan. Say there are things happening in life whereby you require the money back as agreed, you have let him off with xx grace and now you'd appreciate payments being made... also put it all in email and request he replies acknowledging and agreeing...

It could be 400 euros a month or whatever but get the cash rolling in...

Also do we know why the manager needed the loan ? It’s odd to say the least that a person working in management would need a loan from a line employee earning less then them... it could be good to establish this as it might give an insight as to why they are being so flakey... if there would be say just for example an addiction issue, either drugs or gambling or something else that has both influenced the need for the cash and indeed the behavior they are showing in not engaging with you to organize repayment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The absolute first move is document the loan, a repayment schedule and get an signature on it.

That will make future moves considerably easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Baseball72 wrote: »
    "Asking for a friend" (genuinely ).......

A good friend lent a few thousand Euro to his line manager a year ago. Despite many reminders, no sign of payment. Should my friend bring the issue to HR?

It's a multi national company........

I was in a similar situation before, although it was only about EUR 100.

The guy just refused to give it back.

I let it go.

My opinion on stuff like this is it's a personal issue, and running to HR will just make you look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wouldn’t say HR would want to know... they would probably wrap him on the knuckles for getting into a situation of an outside financial and personal nature with one of their employees but they won’t be writing you a cheque.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Jim2007 wrote: »
    And you could also find yourself in court for defamation...

Genuine question
    Do regular joe people (not ‘famous/infamous’) people actually take each other to court for defamation in Ireland?

It’s thrown around here a lot but does it happen?

Going legal..good luck, but even after that, even if you win, if he decides not to pay anyway, nothing will happen.
    I would reconsider twisting the screw another way,
    But if he’s brazen enough to take the cash and not pay it back
    He’ll be brazen enough to ride it out show up for work every day with a hard neck

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op use the viper, it will be the best choice you will ever make, don't go the court route....

I learned very much so doing it the what one would think be the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Still gobsmacked at the number of people recommending OP hire goons from an actual proper gangster. Like, I'm sure they're effective, but really? Is this what we've become? I'd write off the debt than let a chunk of it go to gangland criminals thanks.

Advertisement