Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

unkel wrote: »
    Lot of car for the money!

@MJohnston - nice choice of car and how frugal it is doesn't surprise me. People might not realise but the BMW i3 was the most efficient production car ever made, until the Ioniq came along.

Yeah it's surprised me how it frequently exceeds the estimated range figures - if you drive at 100kph in Eco mode you can squeeze 300km+ out of it, which is crazy good.

Also it's a joy to drive and the visibility is excellent without being at all a bulky or tall car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

It can be a very strange car like that alright, 140kmh in a motorway in comfort mode and watch 40km become 5km range in a 10km stretch, come off motorway put it into eco + mode and 5km range goes on to infinity, a perpetual motion machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,457 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Patser wrote: »
    a perpetual motion machine.

I wouldn't go that far. Only "self charging" Toyotas can do that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Folks,

Any difference in getting the larger screen over the smaller... tech or features wise?
    Or is it largely ascetics?
    The cars I'm looking at are 2016 / 2017 models?

Thanks all!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Folks,

Any difference in getting the larger screen over the smaller... tech or features wise?
    Or is it largely ascetics?
    The cars I'm looking at are 2016 / 2017 models?

Thanks all!

The larger Screen is Professional Nav.
    Apply Carplay may be affected depending on year of car.
    Bluetooth Streaming, movie Streaming etc are all part of Enhanced Bluetooth Package that comes with the larger screen.

So yes, its visually a lot better looking and technically better to have also.

• Advertisement

Thought there was meant to be an expensive issue with the generator.... Could be wrong but you would want to be making sure all in good order.

Nonsense, most issues were fixed on the 64ah Rex.

Not a single issue with mine and it's 3 months shy of 4 years old and almost 101,000 Kms.

Depends on the year, there's no movie streaming on up to the 94ah generation I don't know about the i3 that has the car play.

The media professional the one with the wider screen is blocked from playing movies but with bimmercode it can be enabled, the screen is great quality.

Depends on the year, there's no movie streaming on up to the 94ah generation I don't know about the i3 that has the car play.

The media professional the one with the wider screen is blocked from playing movies but with bimmercode it can be enabled, the screen is great quality.

Yes I unlocked it with bimmercode alright.
    Movie on the go also.

unkel wrote: »
    I wouldn't get a REx! Worst of both worlds. A lot to go wrong, expensive maintenance, only half the toll discount, more insurance and more tax. And not zero emissions, which can and should be heavily punished in future. With the 120Ah you could nearly go from anywhere in Ireland to anywhere else without charging. BMW no longer sell the REx, it is an outdated compliance car concept, no longer needed with the range of the current cars.

All non issues, 2 year maintenance regardless of mileage, hardly break the bank, it doesn't cost more to insure, I get it,you absolutely detest the Rex that is until you use it and avoid charging and I hardly think you care about emissions, that is funny but it's sad to see you constantly run down the rex when it's one of the most useful extras in the car.

For the People unaware and might think Unkels hatred of the Rex is valid, the Rex is very reliable, most issues were with early models, the Rex avoids fast charging queues, and fast charging altogether if you want to and it completely eliminates the extra time needed to charge a cold battery. The car can be driven anywhere any time, fill up in 8 seconds and you're on your way again, find a broken charger and it might take a long time to get home......

The only reason BMW got rid of the Rex is because they were planning to stop production and when they installed the new 120 ah battery they didn't want to pay for recertification which saved a lot of money I believe.

BTW, tesla come bottom of the pile for reliability, you're much more likely to have an issue with a tesla and out of warranty, OMG lol

MJohnston wrote: »
    Yeah it's surprised me how it frequently exceeds the estimated range figures - if you drive at 100kph in Eco mode you can squeeze 300km+ out of it, which is crazy good.

Also it's a joy to drive and the visibility is excellent without being at all a bulky or tall car.

Out of the 120 Ah yes you could squeeze 300 km in warmer weather. most I got out of my 94 ah was 220 Kms and has I think around 20 kms left but that was off the motorway on mostly local back roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Nonsense, most issues were fixed on the 64ah Rex.

Not a single issue with mine and it's 3 months shy of 4 years old and almost 101,000 Kms.

I wasn't stating there was was just voicing what I had heard, I don't have one so can't comment.

It's great to see it's doing so well for you would love one....

I wasn't stating there was was just voicing what I had heard, I don't have one so can't comment.

It's great to see it's doing so well for you would love one....

Indeed passing charger queues is great or when you can't be arsed waiting for charging or when the battery is cold which takes a lot longer. just fire up the Rex and off you go.

In the future it would be nice to see a hydrogen type of generator to eliminate waiting for charging also. But for now the petrol generator or Rex is a fantastic system and shame it can't run on biofuel although the Irish Government killed biofuels by thinking they could get away with applying the usual extortion taxes and it backfired, no one bothered after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭3d4life

Was looking at a 181 Rex yesterday. Under 30k km. Looked fresh enough except tyres. ( special size ? how much for 4 ? )

Is there a reliable VIN decoder for the I3 ?

BTW what sort of MPG do you experience when running off the generator

3d4life wrote: »
    Was looking at a 181 Rex yesterday. Under 30k km. Looked fresh enough except tyres. ( special size ? how much for 4 ? )

Is there a reliable VIN decoder for the I3 ?

BTW what sort of MPG do you experience when running off the generator

Only a handful of tyres available for the i3.
    I used Bridgestone which cost about €100 a corner from the UK for the 20”.
    I then paid €15 a corner locally for fitting, balancing and old tyre disposal.

Any vin decoder will work. There’s loads online.

I got the continental Eco contact 6 this time around, the bridgestones are not that good in the wet, they are C for wet the Eco 6 are A supposed to be a bit quieter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

same I'm on continentals. Fronts are 125 a pop on oponeo, will last 60-70k kms.
    Rears are a different size and are 129 a pop and I got 40k kms out of the last 2 sets.

Sorry these are 19" rims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Actually got my first puncture on Monday. Hit a pothole. bye bye tyre.
    No point in trying the can of sealant and the little electric pump.
    Called Aviva and turned on Netflix and waited for the flatbed. Luckily I had kept the best of the last set in my shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭vicM

Did anyone get the KLE recall done?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

vicM wrote: »
    Did anyone get the KLE recall done?

Yep.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Yep.

Where did you get it done?
    Had mine booked at a Dublin dealer..left car in only to be told later on that some part was needed..doesn't fill me with confidence.
    It's recall work, they should know what parts are needed well before I Grace their doors

• Advertisement

Where did you get it done?
    Had mine booked at a Dublin dealer..left car in only to be told later on that some part was needed..doesn't fill me with confidence.
    It's recall work, they should know what parts are needed well before I Grace their doors

Got it done in Kearys in Cork. They had it in overnight and got a free loaner.

When they scheduled it they did have to order parts in advance.

Got it done in Kearys in Cork. They had it in overnight and got a free loaner.

When they scheduled it they did have to order parts in advance.

Yeah, this was scheduled over a week ago..did your granny charger get swapped out? They had a safety campaign in the UK for the granny

Yeah, this was scheduled over a week ago..did your granny charger get swapped out? They had a safety campaign in the UK for the granny

No, they said that was only on newer models. Mine was a 2014.

How about 2017 Rex ? I got no notice from Frank Keane but that wouldn't surprise me anyway.

How about 2017 Rex ? I got no notice from Frank Keane but that wouldn't surprise me anyway.

They didn't contact me , I had to get some work done anyway and it came up.

€1600 for a new break pump. :mad:

They didn't contact me , I had to get some work done anyway and it came up.

€1600 for a new break pump. :mad:

Yeah, what were the symptoms ?

Don't think it's the dealer, it from the BMW service network
    Mine came up on the app. Maybe the 2017 doesn't require the enhancement

Yeah, what were the symptoms ?

Yellow break system error popped and pumping breaks caused the peddle to rise up and become less effective.

It did happen a month before and went away. But the second time it was constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,457 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ha and here we are over 3 years later and I finally picked one up last night. 2014 i3 60Ah without CCS but decent enough spec, 4 brand new tyres, taxed and 2 years NCT. Only 15.7kWh usable left.

Was great fun driving the 75km home last night and the very limited range doesn't bother me 😎

Charging it up on the sun right now, Tesla is already fully charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Nice work, well wear. Our leaf has now about 22 kWh remaining so it will be a quite a close call on the range and less so on a 0-50 km/h sprint. Would be cool to do a "Low Range EV Range Competition Challenge".

Advertisement