Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom toothache

• 02-02-2020 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

As the title says I get a phantom toothache in my lower jaw I had three teeth removed including the wisdom tooth roughly 7 year's ago.
    X-rays showed all is good in the area.
    But ever since I had the teeth extracted I often get a toothache in the same area.
    Two weeks ago I had a tooth pulled due to decay and from grinding my teeth ,I will also have to have the wisdom removed, in my upper jaw same side but also experienced a toothache in lower jaw.

Anyone any ideas why I get this phantom toothache.

I had to get all the above mentioned teeth removed + one other due to grinding my teeth and near constantly clenching them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Have you had all of these teeth removed chasing this same pain or were they removed for other reasons??
    Clenchers and grinders get jaw joint and jaw muscle pain, might be the that?
    It could be established nuropathic pain that remained following the removal of the offending tooth?
    It could be remaining pathology or defect, exposed or sharp bone or a sinus issue?
    It could be another tooth??

ZX7R wrote: »
    As the title says I get a phantom toothache in my lower jaw I had three teeth removed including the wisdom tooth roughly 7 year's ago.
    X-rays showed all is good in the area.
    But ever since I had the teeth extracted I often get a toothache in the same area.
    Two weeks ago I had a tooth pulled due to decay and from grinding my teeth ,I will also have to have the wisdom removed, in my upper jaw same side but also experienced a toothache in lower jaw.

Anyone any ideas why I get this phantom toothache.

I had to get all the above mentioned teeth removed + one other due to grinding my teeth and near constantly clenching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Have you had all of these teeth removed chasing this same pain or were they removed for other reasons??
    Clenchers and grinders get jaw joint and jaw muscle pain, might be the that?
    It could be established nuropathic pain that remained following the removal of the offending tooth?
    It could be remaining pathology or defect, exposed or sharp bone or a sinus issue?
    It could be another tooth??

Had all teeth removed because I grind the tops away then decay set in. All were molers on my left side top and bottom.
    Only wisdom left that side will be extracted in two weeks.
    I do get a sore jaw from clenching my teeth together.
    X-rays showed everything is ok where teeth on lower jaw were removed.
    It has been suggested that the phantom toothache could be in my mind.
    Funny you suggest it could be another tooth,as when my wisdom tooth is paining bad I also get my phantom toothache also.

Advertisement