Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Performance Thread - Post your monthly output

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭daithihalton

January
    4.5kWp SSW, 4.8kWh battery - Drogheda

Generation – 158.6kWh

Best day - 22nd, 12.0kWh
    Worst day - 30th, 0.2kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

4.5kWp South facing in Meath
    Jan Total 152.8kWh
    Best day, Jan 8th 12.5kWh
    Worst day Jan 20th 0.3kWh
    Exported 0.1kWh
    Imported 395kWh
    Monthly self use 70%

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

6.1 kWp south facing ground mounted a lot of shade this time of year
    Jan 110 kw
    100 % consumption

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭denismc

mp3guy wrote: »
    Yeah this is spectacular. Must be 45 degree pitch with zero shadowing?

Yeah, I am very pleased with the numbers I'm getting compared to other users of similar size, I think location has a lot to do with it , I am near the Old Head of Kinsale which is about as far South as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

denismc wrote: »
    Yeah, I am very pleased with the numbers I'm getting compared to other users of similar size, I think location has a lot to do with it , I am near the Old Head of Kinsale which is about as far South as you can get.

I'm not too far from you, but the South East gets more rays per year! Would be great to see a photo of the array if you're able to share. No problem if not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

garo wrote: »
    4.8 kWp E/W. 2.4kWh battery. 24 degree slope.
    December(kWh):
    Production: 55.2 (61.4 predicted)
    Consumption: 744
    Import: 714 (324d, 390n)
    Export: 0 (0 pred.)

Best day: 14th: 2.8
    Worst day: 23rd: 0.6

4.8 kWp E/W. 2.4kWh battery. 24 degree slope.
    December(kWh):
    Production: 63.7 (81.3 predicted)
    Consumption: 742
    Import: 680 (320d, 360n)
    Export: 2.2 (0.2 pred.)

Best day: 23rd: 4.6
    Worst day: 20th: 0.6

Good news is that no more shadowing and the 5 days of Feb have already produced 15kWh despite weather not being the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

mp3guy wrote: »
    10.24kWp array, 5.76kWp SSW, 4.48kWp ESE both 45 degree pitch in Cork.

South: 243.60kWh
    East: 109.21kWh
    PV Total: 352.81kWh
    Best Day: 4th (22.95kWh)
    Worst Day: 9th (1.34kWh)

Grid Import: 615.47kWh
    Grid Export: 30.21kWh

House Usage: 772.22kWh
    Car Usage: 140.73kWh
    Water Usage: 25.12kWh

Myenergi's servers are busted so I was waiting until they're fixed to post January's results but I'll just have to go without. On a side note my latest electricity bill is down €65 on the same period last year, not bad for the worst months of the year for solar!

South: 280.39kWh
    East: 143.27kWh
    PV Total: 423.65kWh
    Best Day: 23rd (29.56kWh)
    Worst Day: 28th (1.86kWh)

Grid Import: 604.33kWh
    Grid Export: 54.73kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

Hi, has anyone got a full years figures for approx 6kw install? I have a wind turbine and curious to see side by side figures.
    Ps sorry for cutting in on pv output

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Patmwgs wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone got a full years figures for approx 6kw install? I have a wind turbine and curious to see side by side figures.
    Ps sorry for cutting in on pv output

I dont have numbers, but this tool is pretty on the mark for predictions of monthly (and yearly ) output.

As orientation and slope play a big part in it.

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

And do tell, how does it compare to your turbine?

Thanks graememk for the link. I cannot seem to get it to work. Turbine is averaging 10,342kwh a year for a total of of just over 11 years production. Its running for about 13years. Im hoping the lecci microgen payments dont drop too much. It has been a great help on payback.

• Advertisement

Thanks graememk for the link. I cannot seem to get it to work. Turbine is averaging 10,342kwh a year for a total of of just over 11 years production. Its running for about 13years. Im hoping the lecci microgen payments dont drop too much. It has been a great help on payback.

Optimal Direction and slope, 1kwp of panels in ireland will generate about 800ish kwh/ year. so your chatting about 4800-5000kwh/year for panels.

Its expected to be about 5ish cent/kwh on the new feed in tariff. - With 10MWh/ year from the turbine, it should have paid itself back by now?

It has paid for itself, thanks to early 19cent payment and much less oil use. I use as much as i can through heating.you need she who must be obeyed onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hi, has anyone got a full years figures for approx 6kw install?

I'm half way, my 6.2kwp install went up at the end of July.

The big bonus with pv is no maintenance. Your figures should start rising nicely next month as the sun gets a bit higher. It is good fun wathing the technology working.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,264 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm half way, my 6.2kwp install went up at the end of July.

What's your setup like?

My array may be a similar size. Hopefully installed soon.

Will have one 2.4 battery, and probably hot water diverter.

House usage is approx 3000kW per year. No EV.

6 wrote: »
    What's your setup like?

2.8kWp on the garage, south facing.
    3.4kWp on the house, west facing.

5kw Solis hybrid inverter, Eddi water diverter, Zappi 2 car charger.

Very high annual usage even without the EV.
    Estimating about €900 annual saving compared to last year's bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,264 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

2.8kWp on the garage, south facing.
    3.4kWp on the house, west facing.

5kw Solis hybrid inverter, Eddi water diverter, Zappi 2 car charger.

Very high annual usage even without the EV.

Impressive savings!

Thats a very good saving. Payback should be short. I think the way forward is to encourage as much self use as possible and not expect much incentive from esb.

€900 - at 15c a unit thats about 6000kwh.

Yes getting solar has changed behaviour, but I wouldn't count that in savings, a 100 euro energy monitor could have done that!

Ive been more aware of my energy useage since getting an EV, Swtiching to night rate (and energia's low rates)
    2019 bills compared to 2020, 2020's annual bill was 400 euro cheaper.
    We moved a lot of high loads to night rate (and EV charging too)

Still doing the same mileage (about 25k km/yr), And we don't have the diesel bill anymore.

Once you get a year done, do you think you will be able to breakdown where all your solar went? ie
    a) used directly - cost at full unit rate
    b) to battery - count at full unit rate, but allow for say 10-15% loss
    c) eddi divert - 5/6c per kwh
    d) zappi - your night rate.
    e) export - hopefully the FIT rate!

then you will get a very accurate payback amount from the solar.

Also noticed they aren't bringing in the FIT until after the Peak of the Irish solar summer (may/june)

I use as much as i can when at home, but still export around 6000kwh a year back to the grid.

• Advertisement

I would like to install an eddi this year, if anyone has one i would appreciate any info on it.
    Thanks

graememk wrote: »
    €900 - at 15c a unit thats about 6000kwh.

Yes getting solar has changed behaviour, but I wouldn't count that in savings, a 100 euro energy monitor could have done that!

Ive been more aware of my energy useage since getting an EV, Swtiching to night rate (and energia's low rates)
    2019 bills compared to 2020, 2020's annual bill was 400 euro cheaper.
    We moved a lot of high loads to night rate (and EV charging too)

I'm comparing bills post install with the same period last year.

I've had night rate since I got an EV 6 years ago so I've already been down the energy awareness route. I already use the majority of my juice at night rate.

I've had night rate since I got an EV 6 years ago so I've already been down the energy awareness route. I already use the majority of my juice at night rate.

Yes but I'd say 200 odd of that saving is switching supplier. (And I've been switching every year too!)

Over inflating the savings of the solar install does more harm than reporting a lower but more accurate number.

Real, accurate numbers will let people see though some of the marketing fluff that some salesmen use

My numbers from January, went live on the 15th.

I saved €8.30 from the solar, I think I'll include figures like that when doing the monthly stats.

But to get 900 savings you will have to save on average 75 euro a month, say if you save 15 in Jan and dec, average for 10 remaining months jumps to 87.

Don't get me wrong solar panels are great. Just be realistic with your payback numbers.

graememk wrote: »
    Yes but I'd say 200 odd of that saving is switching supplier. (And I've been switching every year too!)

If you switch every year, and therefore keep a similarly low rate every year, then how does 200 of a 900 saving not count?

If you switch every year, and therefore keep a similarly low rate every year, then how does 200 of a 900 saving not count?

because you'd save that anyway if you didn't have solar. Like i said I saved 400 by switching and changing habits. dont get me wrong, I was shocked, i was expecting it to be higher because of the EV. ..

the math is there, to save 900 euro, you would need to generate and use 6000kwh directly (no batteries, no eddi, no zappi) at 15c/kwh.

going through a battery, you need to account for some loss there (10-15%)
    Zappi and eddi should only be counted at night rate. (would you ever charge your car during the day before solar panels?)

I admit having the eddi and coming home to a tank of hot water is great, but to heat that by more traditional means costs about 5-6c/kwh.

I ballparked 200 from switching supplier as a conservative guess, as to save 700 euro, you would need to use 4600kwh directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭championc

Because switching is nothing to do with Solar. You'd save that anyway.

I personally track my units per month, so buying less measures effective use of both Solar generation and effective use of my batteries too.

The monetary saving would be a combination of solar generation and charging of batteries with night rate power. I could be charging my batteries to 100% every night, but the exporting loads to the grid on good days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You can’t be sure of accuracy by comparing bills. You could easily be out a few hundred.

Accurate figures have to be on the basis of

- total generated
    - how much displaced full day rate
    - how much displaced night rate

Do the multipliers on those and that’s your payback.

For example, saying all the generation saved you day rate won’t be accurate if some of it was diverted to hot water or the car.

Comparing bills will have inaccuracies based on your EV mileage, house consumption changing, estimated bills, weather differences and any other number of variables.... raw stats from your inverter is what you need to work off of.

Well apparently I'm just thick.

I change supplier every year. That change saves me money.

I changed last year and it saved me money. I changed this year and it saved the same amount...changing supplier doesn't generally make your electricity cheaper. It just stops it from going up in price by switching to another introductory offer which essentially keeps your rate around the same.

So without the difference that PV is making, I wouldn't be saving €200. I'd be spending approximately the same.

Instead, my bills this year will be €900 less than last year.

How does that not equate to the solar making €900 of a difference?

I'd understand if I HADN'T changed last year but did this year. Then I'd be paying less per unit than the previous year and therefore making a saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

And how much of that is related to PV? How did you calculate it. Comparing bills is not scientific. Your consumption could have changed. Your EV mileage could have changed etc etc. Electricity prices would have changed.... just too many variables to use bill comparison as your measure of savings as a result of adding PV.

And you havent addressed the main thing that has been pointed out.... you seem to have allocated ALL the generation to day rate electricity... as in every kWh your array generated saved you full day rate..... it didnt.... thats why your estimate is off.

You need to pull the stats from your inverter and the myEnergi app and disect those stats and allocate the savings between day and night.... it wont come to €900.

• Advertisement

Well apparently I'm just thick.

I change supplier every year. That change saves me money.

I changed last year and it saved me money. I changed this year and it saved the same amount...changing supplier doesn't generally make your electricity cheaper. It just stops it from going up in price by switching to another introductory offer which essentially keeps your rate around the same.

So without the difference that PV is making, I wouldn't be saving €200. I'd be spending approximately the same.

How does that not equate to the solar making €900 of a difference?

I'd understand if I HADN'T changed last year but did this year. Then I'd be paying less per unit than the previous year and therefore making a saving.
    KCross wrote: »
    You need to pull the stats from your inverter and the myEnergi app and disect those stats and allocate the savings between day and night.... it wont come to €900.

You've done it for this thread,

Take your post from sept,
    Generated :437
    Exported : 59.9
    Eddi : 40.6
    Zappi : 59.3

So your self use (inc battery use) (lets not worry about battery losses yet is
    Use = Generation - Export - Eddi - zappi
    works out at 277.2kwh * 0.15c = €41.58

Eddi : = 40.6*0.06c(heating by oil value) = €2.45
    Zappi = 59.3*0.074 (night rate) = €4.39

Total Savings for Sept = €48.41

Advertisement