Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payments to builders

Options
  • 02-02-2020 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi. Just checking what is usual way builders require payment for extension etc.
    I have heard of full amount paid in weekly installments and then others split up the payments into 2-3 installments.
    The builders we want to go with have weekly installments. Eg. 8k per week, is this normal enough? It's a bit a bit of a nuisance having to think about it every week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Chickus wrote: »
    I have heard of full amount paid in weekly installments and then others split up the payments into 2-3 installments.
    The builders we want to go with have weekly installments. Eg. 8k per week, is this normal enough? It's a bit a bit of a nuisance having to think about it every week.

Depends how much work is getting done per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Chickus wrote: »

Weekly installments are quite common but I would advise if this was the case that you have a program and make sure the builder sticks to it. Have a meeting with the builder at least once a week to discuss progress against the program and authorise the payment with a payment certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Fortnightly in arrears would be a lot more common than weekly. Weekly payments could easily leave you in a position of paying for more than is complete .

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭WacoKid

I did it at pre-agreed milestone stages. Also advise agreeing to hold onto a % of the overall payment until all snagging is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Also depends on how you're funding it.

We got a mortgage extension with BoI and they insisted that the engineer fill out a form every time we wanted to draw down.

So if you were paying every week, then engineer fees could get really expensive.

Luckily the builder was a family friend and we had enough cash to cover his expenses, so in the end we only had to draw down once at the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement