Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards GS 1st Outing - Portmarnock Links - 22nd February 2020 - 11am

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Food for me as well. All that cursing on the course works up an appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Break80

Looking forward to it.
    Put me down for food as well please.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

yes from me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

First outing of the year cant wait to sit back and relax :D Best of luck for the year Space. Ill definitely have food.

Just on the subject of no shows. We had a good few last year and green fees still had to be paid! This has a knock on effect on prizes and the green fees for the remaining outings. Final numbers are usually confirmed the week before and timesheet is done then. So you basically have right up to then. But people with form of not showing will unfortunately have to be banned from the society. We do understand things can happen at last minute such is life but we ask that the green fee is paid at next outing. As we are a non profit society so every penny is put back into it to help reduce green fees etc

If circumstances change please inform on threads, pm's and unaccept on teamer ASAP

benny79 wrote: »
    First outing of the year cant wait to sit back and relax :D Best of luck for the year Space. Ill definitely have food.

Just on the subject of no shows. We had a good few last year and green fees still had to be paid! This has a knock on effect on prizes and the green fees for the remaining outings. Final numbers are usually confirmed the week before and timesheet is done then. So you basically have right up to then. But people with form of not showing will unfortunately have to be banned from the society. We do understand things can happen at last minute such is life but we ask that the green fee is paid at next outing. As we are a non profit society so every penny is put back into it to help reduce green fees etc

If circumstances change please inform on threads, pm's and unaccept on teamer ASAP

By the way , this maybe harsh .

But I dont believe in any excuses for no shows ,
    maybe if someone dies, car crash or car failure.
    I'd still want to see dead person and crashed car
    (1/2 joking)

If it is a proper golf society, the auld, kid is sick doesn't sit with me.

Your going golfing, so kid was hardly alone.

Sorry, just being truthful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

(1/2 joking)

Harsh but fair.

By the way, rejig of handicaps. You are playing off scratch for the year.

Harsh but fair. :D

Seve OB wrote: »
    Harsh but fair.

Your playing with normal clothes and a reasonable number of layers .

you'll fall apart.

Your playing with normal clothes and a reasonable number of layers .

you'll fall apart.

I’ll limit myself to 2 pairs of socks, just the long johns under the trousers and 4-5 layers on top. Won’t however be restricted on wearing woolie hats, snoods and gloves. Hand warmers are a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

(1/2 joking)

Sorry lads but I think that's unfair. I missed the Ballykisteen outing due to being up all night with very sick daughter. Didn't make golf because wasn't sure if we'd need to go to A&E. Contacted captain (BallyK) and offered to pay.
    So if something like that was to happen again, does not mean that you're barred from society?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Sorry lads but I think that's unfair. I missed the Ballykisteen outing due to being up all night with very sick daughter. Didn't make golf because wasn't sure if we'd need to go to A&E. Contacted captain (BallyK) and offered to pay.
    So if something like that was to happen again, does not mean that you're barred from society?

Sell the kid. She is a nuisance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Who'd take her :(

Yeah. I used value mine at like a million euro. Would take 50 cent for him these days

Of course there are exceptions, and you normally have a feel for the person.

I think with an online society , people dont know each other that well . So different dynamic.

Some people have not turned up or even contacted the captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Harsh but fair.

Probably no harm in putting out a list of the Society hcps for players as they start off the for 2020. There seemed to be some confusion last year at times. At least if its published now if there are any queries it could be handled in advance of the first outing.

Of course there are exceptions, and you normally have a feel for the person.

I think with an online society , people dont know each other that well . So different dynamic.

Some people have not turned up or even contacted the captain.

Fair enough. I think the green fee should be paid in advance. Solves a lot of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Fair enough. I think the green fee should be paid in advance. Solves a lot of problems.

That would be ideal alright doublecross, but it's a tricky one to manage with an account with a constantly changing committee, etc... and a spread out society. I think we manage as best we can with such a sprawling group.

As above, there will always be exceptional circumstances that result in cancellations, we just cant afford to lose out with fair weather golfer type dropouts

doublecross - You done the right thing doe. Contacted the Captain etc and thats fair enough these things happen and you are a regular to the society also. Its more so people with form or new members who just drop out couple days before with not a word just unaccept on teamer or no shows.. It has a knock on effect to the society. Like your hardly going to get barred for daughter been sick! Although if you start winning this year again off scratch good possibility lol..

Surely you can understand that? Sure you will find out about it when you're Captain next year ;) ...lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Sell the kid. She is a nuisance

Very funny 😂 😂😂😂 love it

Harsh but fair

Very funny 😂 😂😂😂 love it

Harsh but fair

Why can’t I get smiley faces on my message?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Why can’t I get smiley faces on my message?

Are you posting from your phone? Some phone characters are not compatable over multiple devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

i think this would be a decent idea. have been involved in societies previously so know the heartache involved.if your committed and something stops you from going its only going to be €30/€50 quid gone and you know before you sign up whats involved.

• Advertisement

slingerz wrote: »
    i think this would be a decent idea. have been involved in societies previously so know the heartache involved.if your committed and something stops you from going its only going to be €30/€50 quid gone and you know before you sign up whats involved.

Not easy with a few of us running things and access to bank accounts etc. However if there is enough interest in it, I can look at putting something in place

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Not easy with a few of us running things and access to bank accounts etc. However if there is enough interest in it, I can look at putting something in place

I'd be ok pre booking/paying

• Registered Users Posts: 24 purdy1984

Ive run the work society for the last 3 years normally 30-35 players and I know the work that goes in. Nothing worse than a lad late or not showing up! It causes unneeded stress to organisers. I normally go out last to settle up with the club before I go out and your the one whos running the tee box never get a warm up etc

Another gripe I have is lads who go and shoot 40 points and don't stick around the 45 mins to hour afterwards for the presentation knowing there getting a prize. We started to dq lads who did that for Capts and Pres days.

Just an idea re prepayments maybe a new PayPal account or Revolut account lads transfer green fee to confirm attendance.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Are you posting from your phone? Some phone characters are not compatable over multiple devices.

Aha Charlie yes I am, will have to stop smiling so.

I think if the prepay option can be done it would definitely simplify things for those organising on the day.
    It’s not really an ideal pre round routine trying to square off names and green fees

benny79 wrote: »
    Surely you can understand that? Sure you will find out about it when you're Captain next year ;) ...lol...

If that ever happens expect 8 trips to Tipp. I'll do a round robin of the 2 closes courses to my house.

I'm all for prepaying, but only if it makes life easier for the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭a post punk

I’ve no problem with prepaying myself whatever is handiest for space coyote! Looking forward to the New Year and the quest for the Ryder Jug begins again...............Will the winter lessons Pay off:/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

I'd have no problem paying up front, I'd imagine something like revolut would be a good solution for this

It was my biggest bug bearer last year as you cant relax and then are running to tee hence why I played crap ..lol.. My excuse anyway. But in fairness we are generally good as no shows are concerned only the odd 1 or 2. Especially for a internet Golf forum. But its the 1 or 2 that messes it up for everyone..

• Advertisement

People know that rules so if they mess up its on them. If they pay the green fee at next outing its no biggie. Its just they say they will and dont.. Not only does this eat into the kitty but could deny someone from playing in reserve on the big courses. Some of the lesser courses are ok with it.

Advertisement