Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

relocating sockets

Options
  • 02-02-2020 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

regarding sockets mounted on skirting board
    if they were to be relocated to 450mm above floor height and the cables are fed from under the floor can they be jointed in a joint box under the floor then extended up to the new position?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

dolittle wrote: »
    regarding sockets mounted on skirting board
    if they were to be relocated to 450mm above floor height and the cables are fed from under the floor can they be jointed in a joint box under the floor then extended up to the new position?
    The connections should be accessible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

We'd an alleged electrician worked on our kitchen who buried joints in plaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

You can extend cables in a junction box under floors or any inaccessible area with maintenance free connections such as wagos, solder or crimp connections, you can't and shouldn't use screw type connections as these can potentially loosen over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Xwebstar

I think the ruling is that under floorboards is accessible if marked above

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Xwebstar wrote: »

To EHP.

I don't understand. (really). Does this mean that socket connections should not have screw connections.
    You are correct, screw connections do loosen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

adrian92 wrote: »
    To EHP.

I don't understand. (really). Does this mean that socket connections should not have screw connections.
    You are correct, screw connections do loosen.

No sockets would be considered accessible only connections that would not be accessible can't have screw connections and need maintenance free connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Xwebstar wrote: »

The sparks would have no way of knowing the final flooring though, under tiles wouldnt be accessible for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Xwebstar

GreeBo wrote: »
    The sparks would have no way of knowing the final flooring though, under tiles wouldnt be accessible for example.

Ya if I recall the rules specifically mention under marked floorboards as accessible

But that's assuming the floorboards must remain accessible

Advertisement