Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site sale advice

Options
  • 02-02-2020 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, my father will be selling a site and gifting the money to me. Alternatively, if he gifts the site to me and I sell it, then that would mean additional taxes being imposed (property gains tax, stamp duty).

The concern is that he might lose his medical card if he passes money on to me like this.

Does anyone have any advice on the best route to take so that he will not lose his medical card?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You should discuss the tax implications with an accountant. Advice received online, though well meant, can often be incorrect.

In relation to the Med Card, wouldn’t the capital value of the land have been considered during the assessment of eligibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gjhbnmk

Yes that was mentioned about the eligibility, but someone else suggested that money being transferred like this would be viewed differently. Very confused about what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gjhbnmk wrote: »
    Hi, my father will be selling a site and gifting the money to me.
    Check with a solicitor if the solicitor handles the sale, can the money go from buyer via the solicitor to you? And if so, does it breach the amount that your father can gift to you tax free? Also, get advice from an accountant.

Advertisement