Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bang for buck Ryzen Gaming Build

Options
  • 02-02-2020 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭

Been a long while since I last built a new PC, looking to build a new gaming rig for me and the kids.

Current build is an i7 2600K @4.5ghz paired with an R9 290X, although I do also have a GTX 1060 paired with a more modern i5 in a secondary gaming rig for my son.

1080p gaming, but may well replace my trusty Dell 2407WFP's and go up to 1440p at some point, so keep one eye on that.

Budget is flexible, I want to get good bang for buck rather than simply going for the best of everything, but performance is a key consideration.

What would you guys/gals suggest, please?
    1. What is your budget? Not fixed

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Work, Gaming, Plex Server

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes though most of them are not current spec

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1080p x 3, possible upgrade to 1440p a some point

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No peripherals needed (other than cabling etc)

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Laser, Bank Transfer, w/e

9. When are you purchasing? In next month or so when I get my bonus

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I am well able to build it myself, have built multiple Water-cooling Rigs, and even one Phase Cooled one back in the day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

If we are talking about standard 1080p 60hz, then a Ryzen 3600 and RTX2060 non-super based build would be ideal for running everything at ultra settings. I would not go buying something like a 2070 Super with 1440 "in mind" because if that doesn't happen in the shorter term, the card will have just been a waste for 1080p 60hz, new cards due out in mid-2020 that will be considerably better.

You should still get around €300 for your 2600k and 290x build too, and cost of building a new one with the 3600, rtx2060, 16gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1tb nvme would be around €1k, so not a huge outlay when you've made your original rig last this long.

If you're quite sure that you will definitely get a 1440p in the somewhat near future, you could even just buy a £200 gtx1660 super now rather than the rtx2060, and consider a new RTX3070 or 3080 when it arrives in the summer/whenever you get a new monitor.

The thing about the r9 290 is that when it was released in 2013, 1080p was the mainstream and still is, and the card even today performs pretty well at that resolution, which is an amazing lifespan. To get similar longevity now, you would be looking at a Radeon 5700 or RTX2070 at least, but obviously the problem is you won't still be using 1080p in 7 years time so the cards wouldn't last as long as the 290 did/at the same price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I had a R9 290 and on the box was 4k gaming. So even though it is good still for 1080p they were looking at 4k all the way back then. Kinda like the new Xbox and PS that will be released later this year, 8k they are saying. All about looking to the future while we all know they haven't a hope in hell of pushing 8k. They will most likely pull a PS pro or XBOX X again later in the life cycle with better hardware and they will be the true 8k consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I had a R9 290 and on the box was 4k gaming. So even though it is good still for 1080p they were looking at 4k all the way back then. Kinda like the new Xbox and PS that will be released later this year, 8k they are saying. All about looking to the future while we all know they haven't a hope in hell of pushing 8k. They will most likely pull a PS pro or XBOX X again later in the life cycle with better hardware and they will be the true 8k consoles.
    Tbh I doubt there will be an 8K console within the next 20 years.

4K raytraced will look good enough to anyone.

Advertisement