Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laurel Hedge

Options
  • 02-02-2020 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

hi,
    can someone suggest why the 3 Laurels are small, yellow and have holes in leaves. They were bare root and planted at same time as rhe rest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Maybe they are sitting in a pocket of poorer/thinner soil? I would throw some slow release fertiliser on them now and see if they pick up in the growing season.

Somebody else may provide a more authorative answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dubbrin

What's on the other side of that wall? Is there an oil tank or septic tank in the neighbours (assuming that's the boundary wall)

I bought some Portuguese laurel two weeks ago. The gardener mentioned blight occurring in certain hedges, that looks kind of like what she was talking about.... there's a treatment you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Is that area wetter that the rest. That can cause yellowing. Or as previously said that patch of ground could be poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Josh2015

Gravel on the other side of the boundary wall. holes in Leaves maybe a fungus.The soil is very poor so I will fertilise in march.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

dubbrin wrote: »
    What's on the other side of that wall? Is there an oil tank or septic tank in the neighbours (assuming that's the boundary wall)

I bought some Portuguese laurel two weeks ago. The gardener mentioned blight occurring in certain hedges, that looks kind of like what she was talking about.... there's a treatment you can get.
    A septic tank has to be at least 10 metres from a boundary. Anyhow, shrubs love septic tanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Any recommendations for fertilizer as I am in same situation as OP..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Truckermal wrote: »
    Any recommendations for fertilizer as I am in same situation as OP..

Blood Fish and Bone is a good all rounder but if they are like that in the OP, i would dig up now in dormant season and improve soil and replant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Blood Fish and Bone is a good all rounder but if they are like that in the OP, i would dig up now in dormant season and improve soil and replant.

Blood fish and bone is excellent stuff. Just be careful if you foxes in the area. I can't use it as they dig up the ground and destroy the place. Thinking there is something nice buried there.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Blood fish and bone is excellent stuff. Just be careful if you foxes in the area. I can't use it as they dig up the ground and destroy the place. Thinking there is something nice buried there.

Wow, I never would have thought of that being an issue! Disappointed fox.

People may scoff, but I think the big tubs of chicken manure pellets, occasionally available in certain discount German retailers every now and again, are a great slow release fertiliser. And cheap too.

Advertisement