Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever sold a private house to council

Options
  • 02-02-2020 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Father in law has a house in fingal co co area with a tenant +2kids on hap. He is selling it and was wondering if approaching the council to buy it with sitting tenant would be a good idea rather than getting her to move out and try to sell on open market. House is in ok condition but might not suit first time buyers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

rje66 wrote: »
    Father in law has a house in fingal co co area with a tenant +2kids on hap. He is selling it and was wondering if approaching the council to buy it with sitting tenant would be a good idea rather than getting her to move out and try to sell on open market. House is in ok condition but might not suit first time buyers.

Councils usually want vacant possession as even though his tenants may be on the housing list it's unlikely that they're at the top of the list so the Council will want it for the people who are at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Not Fingal but I had a house in Kildare with HAP tenants that I wanted to sell. Council said they would need vacant possession and also it would need to be listed on the open market and then they would put in an offer.

In any case, your FIL will probably need it to be vacant if he wants to sell, banks generally won't give mortgages for properties that are occupied by tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

They'll need vacant possession but even more importantly is that the sale process will take at least twice as long with a council. You could be looking at 6 to 12 months to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

All very helpful replies. Kind of information I was looking for. Thanks

Advertisement