Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a shed behind

Options
  • 02-02-2020 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We are renting a house from a company in Lucan for four years.
    We gave them our notice a month ago, as we are moving out on 21st of February.

Meanwhile, I had to setup a 3x3m shed in the backyard, as there is zero storage space in the house, to put some stuff.

I got a quote today and the guy wants 800 euro to move the shed to our new house!
    It cost me 900 euro to buy it and assemble it new, therefore I think this is too much!

Apart from shop around for a better quote, what will happen if I leave it behind?
    Can landlord charge me for this to have it removed?
    Our lease says specifically, "no modifications".

Would it be better to sell it? Do I have any chances of selling it (along with a wooden base) in less than 3 weeks ?

ps. I need it, so I will buy a new one, if I don't move this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

A lot of the cost of a shed is the delivery and erection.

So dismantling, transportation and re-erection will be expensive.

Can't see the landlord having an issue with it staying.

Do you have an axe and an open fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

For what its worth. If you leave it and the landlord rents out the property with this shed and something happens to it with next tenants he would have to replace it.

A landlord has to replace anything that breaks that was there when renting to a tenant.

I would ask landlord does he want it, if not dismantle it yourself and sell on done deal. You will get something for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Vita nova

If you're not leaving until Feb 21st, you should easily have enough time to sell it on Donedeal.ie and Adverts.ie assuming you don't ask too much for it. You don't even have to dismantle it, many sheds are sold as to-be-dismantled, and some buyers prefer it that way. I'd recommend offering to help the buyer dismantle the shed especially if the buyer doesn't have a helper.

Also, it's not that difficult to dismantle and move the shed yourself if you're anyways handy but you will need a trailer, van, or estate car with roof rack - have moved a 3mx2.4m shed with base.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Would you not do it yourself op ?

• Advertisement

Should be easy to dismantle and reassemble these types of garden shed yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

I agree with Vita Nova,
    take some good images and advertise on Donedeal or adverts, It wont be up for long if its in good condition and priced well. Sheds are in demand.

Vita nova wrote: »
    If you're not leaving until Feb 21st, you should easily have enough time to sell it on Donedeal.ie and Adverts.ie assuming you don't ask too much for it. You don't even have to dismantle it, many sheds are sold as to-be-dismantled, and some buyers prefer it that way. I'd recommend offering to help the buyer dismantle the shed especially if the buyer doesn't have a helper.

Also, it's not that difficult to dismantle and move the shed yourself if you're anyways handy but you will need a trailer, van, or estate car with roof rack - have moved a 3mx2.4m shed with base.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

disassemble it yourself, get a man with van and get him to drop it off at new property, assuming this is already in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

I followed your advice and put it on DoneDeal. It's gone already (sale agreed) and I will buy a new one.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Advertisement