Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anxiety different from depression

• 02-02-2020 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭

For the first time in twenty years, I'm dealing with mental health problems at the moment, been suffering with chronic pain for more than eighteen months and the realisation that I will likely never see a penny in compensation from the one who is responsible for the injury along with the potential long term personal and financial cost, triggered the bout of what I thought was depression, it's not a huge surprise as it's been an extremely difficult eighteen months of constant pain and pure belligerence by the person who's mistake caused my injury

GP put me on lexapro and while I felt better after ten days on it ( started before Xmas), I've hit a wall again in the past week, was given xanax to keep me calm a week before Xmas as well and only took one per day, took one up until new years eve but then didn't need any until two days ago, feelings of being agitated, wound up and a general sense of unease came back, talked to a therapist a few days ago about dealing with the chronic pain and how it's effected me, he said he thought i had anxiety and stress related problems rather than depression and that in his view, lexapro is more of a "catch all" drug but not really the optimum choice for anxiety

I definitely had depression back in 1999 but this feels entirely different, I'm incredibly easily irritated by the simplest thing as well, like a rage within me could break out, i have not lashed out at anyone and these feelings of threats being around me are not by any means a constant, they are periodical, i have not had a panic attack, nor have i ever had one, i am Unbearably tired however and if I don't take a short nap in the evening, i feel like I'm unable to manage

I am very acutely aware that I'm not well at the moment but know I'll get better provided i get the correct Treatment

Just wondering if the therapist is on to something, that lexapro is not really for anxiety?

Should perhaps add im on 250 per day of lyrica for supposed nerve pain in my foot for almost a year , my GP seems to think being on that should cover anxiety issues?

Comments

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi Mad Max,

I am sorry you are so unwell but I have to unfortunately close the thread. To leave it open runs the risk of someone unqualified giving you medical advice.

As with any medications, it may take a while to find dosages that suit you and that's why your doctor is the best person to advise you on that. Please book an appointment. If it helps, you could write down your list of questions for him/her so that you don't forget any during the appointment.

All the best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement