Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

Milner is something else....I didn't know he was in the dugout.
    In the post match interviews Neil Critchley was delighted with Milner's contribution in the build up to the game.

24315686-0-image-a-2_1580854939607.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Honestly apart from not having goal scorer to speak of you'd have thought that was the senior team in it's style of play.

Total football really - play it out, see the switch, draw opposition players in and then pass through them.

I was just thinking watching the game, imagine Brewster as the focal point in attack and its a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Milner is something else....I didn't know he was in the dugout.

He is phenomenal. Trained with them yesterday and gave them a bit of a talk to before the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

One major thing these cup games has also done is it will give a huge boost to recruitment.

Young lads being scouted and talked will look at this season and see there is a real pathway to first team football at Liverpool football club under Klopp.

Also from next season the underage teams will all be training with the first team squad at the new training ground.

Agree, and also the part I have bolded is key, I think.

Right now, as far as I know, when the first team want to bring an academy player to train with them, it has to be rearranged due to the logistics of the 2 training bases being miles away and something simple like the player not being old enough to drive! It has to be pre-arranged so that the player and staff can plan accordingly to have him at Melwood for the week. There is no such thing as asking an academy player to fill in on for the Wednesday cos there's a few last minute injuries in the first team either.

With the new single training ground, academy players should be able to fit in for one day or one part of a training session when needed or even to just take a look at one player in one particular situation etc. If mini games are being played or certain counter attacks being planned and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Talisman wrote: »
    In the post match interviews Neil Critchley was delighted with Milner's contribution in the build up to the game.

24315686-0-image-a-2_1580854939607.jpg

Klopp could learn a thing or two from Milner...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

At another level it's classic Boring James Milner stuff.
    Week off work, looks at globe, decides Lancashire is the place to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

At another level it's classic Boring James Milner stuff.
    Week off work, looks at globe, decides Lancashire is the place to be.

Is he not at melwood for treatment on his injury at the minute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

TitianGerm wrote: »

Meh, please don't spoil my vision of him deciding Miami or Marbella just isn't for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I was just thinking watching the game, imagine Brewster as the focal point in attack and its a different story.

Yeah Liam Millar is never going to play first team for us. Doesn't offer a whole lot.

Not saying he's a bad player but he has his level. I wasn't impressed last night, Brewster would have been a much better option.

Pedro Chirivella on the other hand I had completely written off but I actually could now see him getting minutes in our team in certain games. Bit of a Joe Allen about him so maybe not Klopp's style but you can't fault his effort everytime he's been asked to come in. He's been at the club ages and hangs out with the south Americans in the first team so it must be hard playing with players a few years younger than him knowing he's not in the first team plans the past few years.

But happy to have him in the squad, tidy player and good pro.

Also, Curtis Jones is going to be unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

European Super Cup, World Club Cup, FA Cup, Premier League and Champions League is 5 trophies in one season.

Oh, yes the Super Cup, forgot about that, been a lot of victories to enjoy since then,hard to keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I was surprised they didn't play Hardy, as he's linked up well with the attack since he arrived. Maybe they thought Millar would have more of a presence. He didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Jones and Elliot have both got on the bench and had some minutes in the premier league. Neco is a regular on the bench also. Definitely time Chirivella get's some minutes, he has been exceptional. Well and truly put himself in the shop window now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

TitianGerm wrote: »

Yeah most likely. Critchley said he trained with the young lads the day before the game so he must be coming close to fitness

Noticed this on the BBC sport live updates from during the game. No outrage coming from here but surprised to see them partake in "banter"

EP9kZQNXkAAIuxp?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I would have been the first to suggest sacking off the FA cup but our dominant position in the League actually means we can give it a go this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

There's a few stories this week that both Trippier and Morata could be missing the CL tie against Atletico.

Costa, Felix, Koke, Gimenez and Arias are all out at present too, though I think one or two of those might be back by the time we play them.

They're not in the best shape at the moment. I'd certainly be more confident against them this season than at any other point in the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I would have been the first to suggest sacking off the FA cup but our dominant position in the League actually means we can give it a go this year.

I agree , them Pre wil probably be won very early,
    So you can give lads like Minimino , Jones, Elliot games to get them ready for next season , Why not go strong in the FA Cup then in Prem games you can give the lads a rest ,

Imagine doing the treble it would be glorious ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Think we will still play a 2nd team against Chelsea similar to the 1st Shrewsbury game.

Klopp will go strong in the league & we have Atletico 2nd leg a week later.

There is definitely a strong eleven to be played in the cup, while still having some of the kids playing.

There is a squad to be made up from Adrian, Williams, Gomez, Matip, Lovren, Larouci, Hoever, Keita, Lallana, Chirivella, Fabinho, Ox, Jones, Elliot, Shaqiri, Origi, Minamino.

All players who have not played regularly this year, or need games coming back from injury to get into form for the end of the season. It's still giving TAA, VVD, Robertson, Hendo, Gini, Salah, Mane & Firmino a rest. We could even play one of the front 3 in the cup game and rest him entirely in a league game, and the same with one of Hendo/Gini.

EDIT:
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Think we will still play a 2nd team against Chelsea similar to the 1st Shrewsbury game.

We play Bournemouth at home at 12.30 Saturday in the league before Atletico at home Wednesday night in the 2nd leg. That's a decent break. Also, Bournemouth home with all respect is a winnable game for a rotated team. We can play the stronger team against Atletico and play some of them against Chelsea. I'm going to assume that the Chelsea game will be a Tuesday night due to us playing on Saturday at 12.30.

Rotate for Bournemouth IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That feels like the way to go alright, though maybe a little stronger even, with a few more players back and looking for games, like Milner and Shaqiri.

Between the champions league and challenging for 4th, Chelsea have a lot on their plate themselves, so will likely field something of similar strength. Should be an interesting one. Away from home, but i'd still fancy us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We could/should have another 3 wins in the PL before we face Chelsea. If Man City drop more points in the interim - well, you'd have to say that League is done and dusted.

Can afford to play full strength in the cup and rest players against Bournemouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

It will be a tough balance against Chelsea as the kids who got through Everton and Shrewsbury should be rewarded.

However to take the trophy seriously going forward I think the only involvement from the team last night is likely to be Williams, Jones and Elliot.

Against Chelsea the team can be:

GK: Adrian
    DF: Williams Matip Lovren Milner (to keep shouting in Lovren's ear!)
    MF: Shaqiri Lallana Jones
    AT: Elliot Origi Minamino

Chelsea have been beaten by poorer teams than this this season and for Lampard it will be more important to secure 4th spot than win the FA Cup.

Chirivella, Keita, Fabinho, Kelleher on the bench. Would probably have Mo or Mane on the bench too. Just noticed I had no back up strikers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

But which of them is the better defensive RB?

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Klopp could learn a thing or two from Milner...

I think that's Klopp in the beanie hat behind Milner! :pac:

Jones and Elliot have both got on the bench and had some minutes in the premier league. Neco is a regular on the bench also. Definitely time Chirivella get's some minutes, he has been exceptional. Well and truly put himself in the shop window now

I'd be bringing him on instead of Lallana in the later games, the latter being a free departure this summer, but we need to attract interest for Pedro...

I'm still somewhat hopeful that Adam Lallana will stay beyond the end of this season.

He's a good pro, a good influence in the dressing room (himself and Hendo seem very close, for e.g.), and he gives his all whenever he plays.

This season, he has been largely excellent when playing, too.

If he is happy to continue with the role he has this season, I'd be happy to see him stay. But, in the same manner as Danny Ings, he won't get more than that so if he isn't content with it, I'd wish him well in his move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I’m relaxed with however we approach the next round tbh. It would be nice to win, but it’s not important imo.

I think the whole tie proved to be one in the eye for traditionalists within the game. An U23 side in front of a big crowd dominated the game against a League One outfit. As much as the FA won’t want to hear it, surely that raises big questions about whether U23 sides should be parachuted into the league structure? It also is a further dent in traditional notions of the FA Cup. All round a very interesting event that may have much broader implications in the years to come.

Nice to take a weekend off with so much to enjoy ahead after the break. :)

We should have everyone back fit which will mean a stronger team ,

Milner, Mane , Shaq, Lallana, where all unavailable for the first game and not in the first team squad for the game before or after,

So I reckon it'll be a stronger side than the first game ,

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1224820070892949505?s=20

Tariq Panja - New York Times journo, I think? - says new PL chief said there's no investigation into the Liverpool "hack" of City's scouting system.

Seems like quite a while ago that news broke.

if we have no further injuries you could have a second string off

Adrian ,Williams , Matip, Lovren, Milner, Lallana, Shaq, Jones ,Minimino ,Origi , Elliot, Chirivella ,

Seen as we play a midfield 3 and we have 5 ( Hendo, Gini,Fab, Ox ,Naby ) there will be 2 left who aren't planned to start the 2nd Atletico , probably Ox & Keita

So loads of options ,

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    As much as the FA won’t want to hear it, surely that raises big questions about whether U23 sides should be parachuted into the league structure?

The Guardian looked at this after Pep said it before -

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/26/pep-guardiola-reserve-teams-championship-spain

Not sure if it would work differently in England, the travel costs for some teams would be extensive, but it would definitely be a good alternative to the loan system, particularly for younger or foreign players who would benefit from being based close to home...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Talisman wrote: »

Of course this is up to Milner and Klopp but I'd love to see Milner in his staff one day. He seems to have really embraced the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

Steve Nicol and Craig Burley almost came to blows discussing this!
    https://youtu.be/2wbE98M4ISY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://twitter.com/GerryCox/status/1224713062353186817?s=20

Rio being respectful about us, nice to see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1224820070892949505?s=20

Tariq Panja - New York Times journo, I think? - says new PL chief said there's no investigation into the Liverpool "hack" of City's scouting system.

Seems like quite a while ago that news broke.

Teams says they settled it years ago just City and other fans trying to be outraged now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/west-ham-liftime-bans-liverpool-team-bus-vandalised-a4353281.html

Speaking of outrage, funny how Klopp and co didn't mention the bus getting vandalised when they played West Ham...

Didn't cause mental anguish to the team or put them off their game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Looks like FA are getting back at Klopp re fixtures. Thursday night v Chelsea and then Sat 12:30 v Bournemouth. No chance any first teamers play now.

joe_99 wrote: »
    Looks like FA are getting back at Klopp re fixtures. Thursday night v Chelsea and then Sat 12:30 v Bournemouth. No chance any first teamers play now.
    dogbert27 wrote: »
    It will be a tough balance against Chelsea as the kids who got through Everton and Shrewsbury should be rewarded.

However to take the trophy seriously going forward I think the only involvement from the team last night is likely to be Williams, Jones and Elliot.

Against Chelsea the team can be:

GK: Adrian
    DF: Williams Matip Lovren Milner (to keep shouting in Lovren's ear!)
    MF: Shaqiri Lallana Jones
    AT: Elliot Origi Minamino

Chelsea have been beaten by poorer teams than this this season and for Lampard it will be more important to secure 4th spot than win the FA Cup.

Chirivella, Keita, Fabinho, Kelleher on the bench. Would probably have Mo or Mane on the bench too. Just noticed I had no back up strikers!!

We shouldn't need to field the first team for the Thursday night game but again thinking of player welfare and wanting English teams to progress in Europe why is this game on Thursday night?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Klopp will play the U23s again if that's the case.

Has it been announced anywhere?

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    Klopp will play the U23s again if that's the case.

Has it been announced anywhere?

I have seen it on my Fotmob app. I hope it's wrong.

Also, it has nothing to do with Europe. It actually makes it more difficult as we play 3 games in 6 days as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I have seen it on my Fotmob app. I hope it's wrong.

Also, it has nothing to do with Europe. It actually makes it more difficult as we play 3 games in 6 days as a result.

FA still have all games listed for the Wednesday 19:45.

I wouldn't imagine they'll announce any changes yet. One of the fixtures not even confirmed yet.

Is that official? Surely it would be the Tuesday night game out of of the 3 possible days.

Chelsea actually have it as TBC Tuesday night 19.45 on their site too. Saturday to Tuesday night is a regular time slot, much like Tuesday to early Saturday is.

Not official thankfully. App is updated wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Really, who cares? Klopp doesn't. If the schedule is tight embrace the challenge. The U23s would be thrilled to play Chelsea at their place - remember Lampard hasn't worked out a true balance with that squad so they'll offer up chances - mind you I'd still play Origi up front. A goal scorer is the missing link with Brewster on loan and Glaztel injured.

The FA website says all games on the Wednesday:

http://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/more/fa-cup-round-dates

But this page says games will start on the Monday:

http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/jan/27/emirates-fa-cup-fifth-round-draw-270120

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

dogbert27 wrote: »
    The FA website says all games on the Wednesday:

http://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/more/fa-cup-round-dates

But this page says games will start on the Monday:

http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/jan/27/emirates-fa-cup-fifth-round-draw-270120

Round date is Wednesday 4th March it is the default date just like at the start of the season all weekend games are on a Saturday until TV takes over and other things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I will be quite happy if our first team ignores the FA cup all the way to the final or until we get knocked out. FA aren't doing themselves any favours thus far.

Really, who cares? Klopp doesn't. If the schedule is tight embrace the challenge. The U23s would be thrilled to play Chelsea at their place - remember Lampard hasn't worked out a true balance with that squad so they'll offer up chances - mind you I'd still play Origi up front. A goal scorer is the missing link with Brewster on loan and Glaztel injured.

No matter the date the team will be like the first game than the reply ,

One there is loads of "first teams " players who need games and two he won't play the kids away to Chelsea on there own they could be seriously embarrassed , We seen them trashed by a second string Villa ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They've earned the right to be thrashed by Chelsea if that's what happens. If I were in that squad last night I'd be fuming if not given the chance to 'continue the dream'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think Klopp will care only marginally less if it's one of the U23s fuming rather than one of us.
    He'll do what he thinks is right for Liverpool and not the FA, a player or anyone else and he'll likely make a good decision.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement