Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

[Mr Burns excellent here]

Werner MUST be the No 1 target up front this summer. I cannot even think of a better player for Klopp while remaining within the realm of plausible.

As for the exits, probably no shock to anyone, was there talk of a right or esp left back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

[Mr Burns excellent here]

Werner MUST be the No 1 target up front this summer. I cannot even think of a better player for Klopp while remaining within the realm of plausible.

As for the exits, probably no shock to anyone, was there talk of a right or esp left back?
    Williams will prob be cover for right back so will just have to get cover for left back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I’ll never have any issue with McManaman tbh. He was underpaid for years on his last contract and let it rundown because he believed he would get picked up by one of the biggest clubs in the world and live on the elite stage at the sharp end of the European Cup. He backed himself during a period where he was often our best player during gutless performances and terrible let downs. He spent his Liverpool career at a club showing no ability to become great - particularly on the stage he cared the most about personally - so I don’t blame him.

He also went and did the bloody thing, becoming respected in the Galacticos dressing room as a money time performer in the big games. Fair ****ing play to him. And when he returned to England he was all used up and Rafa didn’t want him.
    That's not entirely true.

He was the club's best player in 1997 and they tried to flog him to Barcelona for a big pay day. He didn't want to leave Liverpool but he went because it was what the club wanted. He sat in a hotel in Spain without having any meetings with Barca's representatives. The Spanish press were fed stories about his imminent signing but it was all a ruse to force an agreement with Deportivo for Rivaldo. Later his mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and she didn't respond to the treatment, he asked the club to put a hold on the contract talks at the time. Liverpool received another offer from Barcelona for him but he rejected the move because he didn't want to leave his family. After that the club began to use the media against him. McManaman never responded to the media stories and when his mother died it made the decision to leave Liverpool easier.

Real Madrid were European champions and Liverpool had yet to play in the Champions League so it was an easy decision for him to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I never got the love for McManaman. He did well for RM in difficult circumstances and fair play to him but I often felt he flattered to deceive. Looked his stats yesterday and appreciate these don't tell the full story but was surprised how many assists he got but then again he played with Fowler and Owen in their pomp.
    Don't get me wrong he was a good player for us but he let us down too many times. I wasn't sad to see him go and watched a lot of them at that time.
    The fact we had a very successful period after he left probably reinforced my feelings towards him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Interesting conversation re: Owen.....he should be a club legend by rights but his complete lack of charisma/personality and his devotion to the national team meant there was never a connection with the fans.....basically the exact opposite of Fowler.

His goals in the cup final will always be a good memory for me though....scuttered drunk watching it mid exams for postgrad with 2 other Liverpool fans and we were all crying at the end...must have been exam tension being released lol.

McManaman is a different case....popular with the fans, but could be an absolute waste of space in a lot of matches iirc. Never gave a solid 7 out of 10 performance....was either a world beater or totally anonymous. He did ok Madrid from what I remember (?)...scored in CL Final, learned Spanish etc., settled there for a bit.

Looking back at that era, we were pretty much like ManUtd are at the moment....a couple of decent players, badly managed, club ran poorly and the squad filled out with flakes who aren't anywhere near the standard of the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

Cartman78 wrote: »
    McManaman is a different case....popular with the fans, but could be an absolute waste of space in a lot of matches iirc. Never gave a solid 7 out of 10 performance....was either a world beater or totally anonymous. He did ok Madrid from what I remember (?)...scored in CL Final, learned Spanish etc., settled there for a bit.

Looking back at that era, we were pretty much like ManUtd are at the moment....a couple of decent players, badly managed, club ran poorly and the squad filled out with flakes who aren't anywhere near the standard of the club
    Back then if you stopped McManaman from playing you pretty much neutralised Liverpool, that was how Ferguson approached games against Liverpool. Evans was tactically naive and didn't have the ability to change things - Liverpool played one way and plan B was launch the ball into the box.

I used to say that you could tell in the first 15-20 minutes of a game if McManaman was going to do it for the team. At the time I used to think that it was because he wasn't up for the game. However in later years when re-runs of games were shown, it became more obvious that the opposition were setup to deny him opportunities to hurt them. If Liverpool had used an alternative threat to complement him then he would have been a lot more effective. Instead Evans deployed alternative players as fullbacks and left the twin standing statues that were Barnes and Redknapp in central midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Hendos missus gave birth last ngt healthy boy, exactly 39 weeks after that Barca game ....then this

https://twitter.com/empireofthekop/status/1226074976400396288?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

No chance of any points in the League this week, should make both sides on Manchester happy :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Divock Henderson has a nice ring to it.

• Advertisement

"show them, whatever happened, you don't have to raise your fists to beat your enemies" - Raheem Sterling in his new advert for Gillette.

What about Joe, Raheem, my friend?

https://twitter.com/sterling7/status/1225689708174299137?s=20

It's shows how much the Anfield defeat upset them that days later mild mannered Raheem Sterling threw an absolute hissy fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Sometimes a place is just rotten to the core.
    The fundamental purpose of Murdoch's media outlets is to lie and generally be scumbags. No amount of apologising or changing of staff will change that.

The club should be pushing the FA and the PL to have them barred from all official events, because they're utterly irredeemable.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Owl.

If this carries on I think the criteria for this award may have to go beyond winning games and take in other aspects like number of goals scored/conceded or aesthetics!

He'd still win it every month.

man I love James Milner :D

Gbear wrote: »
    Sometimes a place is just rotten to the core.
    The fundamental purpose of Murdoch's media outlets is to lie and generally be scumbags. No amount of apologising or changing of staff will change that.

The club should be pushing the FA and the PL to have them barred from all official events, because they're utterly irredeemable.

Still disgusted that Anfield lost the England game they were supposed to be hosting because they refused to allow Sun reporters in for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Still disgusted that Anfield lost the England game they were supposed to be hosting because they refused to allow Sun reporters in for it.

Scousers in general don’t give a toss about the national team, so it’s no great loss!

Meanwhile, Allison is back in Brazil training with his brother, Muriel..

The Becker boys - Alison & Muriel

• Advertisement

left us to increase his chances at winning The Champions League/trophies - he doesn't make the Juventus Champions League squad the same year we win it along with The Super Cup & World Club Cup.

leaves us a few years too early to play under a Klopp team at their peak & arrives at Dortmund a few years too late to play for them at their peak under Klopp also.

off to a good start mind.

https://twitter.com/PremLeaguePanel/status/1226205720812584961?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

Emre Can served one fine purpose for me, to help distinguish between fan-boy posters (who fell for his hair) from football people who knew better. Always seemed more outspoken than his performances merited, I wish him well though.

The thing that confused me about Can is that he was adamant his best position was as a defensive midfielder, rather than further up in the midfield, despite the fact that he was a terrible defender who was constantly caught ball watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The thing that confused me about Can is that he was adamant his best position was as a defensive midfielder, rather than further up in the midfield, despite the fact that he was a terrible defender who was constantly caught ball watching.

And his best contributions for us were goals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Can was an average at best player for me. Wish him the best but all I remember from his time at liverpool is a couple of goals and his hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Scousers in general don’t give a toss about the national team, so it’s no great loss!

Meanwhile, Allison is back in Brazil training with his brother, Muriel..

The Becker boys - Alison & Muriel

Sounds like something you'd see down the George...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

BBC putting out a 4th string lineup for MOTD. No Lineker, Logan or Chapman presenting and they didn't even bother using the studio.
    I know he wasnt great at Liverpool but Benteke has 2 in 39, as a forward it's an achievement to be that blunt.

ERG89 wrote: »
    BBC putting out a 4th string lineup for MOTD. No Lineker, Logan or Chapman presenting and they didn't even bother using the studio.
    I know he wasnt great at Liverpool but Benteke has 2 in 39, as a forward it's an achievement to be that blunt.

And his goal today was a gift from Shortarms too

Someone seems to have hacked Dickerty's computer.

I seen that,very funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

???

Will we have a chance to go 25 points clear next weekend?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Even the weather aligns to stop City making any in roads to our lead:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

West Ham will be over 3 weeks without a game when they pay us on the 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

MD1990 wrote: »
    West Ham will be over 3 weeks without a game when they pay us on the 24th.

Surely they move that City game to midweek or maybe next weekend. Problem is the game was on TV so that will probably rule out a 3 o'clock kickoff

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Even the weather aligns to stop City making any in roads to our lead:pac:

The FA, VAR and now... God! Bluemoon city fans may have a point.

Surely they move that City game to midweek or maybe next weekend. Problem is the game was on TV so that will probably rule out a 3 o'clock kickoff

many players probably gone on holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Both teams start their mid season break today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The women's Merseyside derby is off as well. Must be pretty bad over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

They should make City play this game the day before the Madrid game.

If we have to play 2 games in 2 days then they should as well.

They should have played the game being closed doors anyway, just make a TV only match. No one will notice the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Are we 9 days until the Atletico game? Just seen they are missing Trippier, Giminez, Costa, Morata and Felix injured right now. Plenty of time yet for those to make it back except for Costa who is down as a herniated disc, I can't see him making the first leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyone check blue moon to see how they reckon Liverpool engineered this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

The FA, VAR and now... God! Bluemoon city fans may have a point.
    Anyone check blue moon to see how they reckon Liverpool engineered this?

LiMETOFFICEUKpool doesn't quite have the same ring to it. Watch them try, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Klopp complains about wind and teased bit of wind in Manchester and the game is off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Wd got 6 points from both Sheff Utd and Wolves.

Some achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Sadio doing some proper running drills on his Instagram just now. Looks like he’ll be ready next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Watching Bayern v Leipzig ,Werner is a handful, interesting statt just revealed ..their keeper is former red reserve Petr gulasci, Hungarian.. hasn't missed a game for them in ages.

• Advertisement

Werner missed a sitter but looked very good.

52m release would be an ideal signing. Quick can play anywhere across the front 3.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement