Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

8-10 wrote: »
    Hopefully Klopp used a background pic of Blackpool pier

Extra salt on his fish & chips :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

84 players have won a European Cup or Champions League with Liverpool. Name them.

I got 70/84, but took longer than the 12 minutes allocated.

Positions are in French, but a bit obvious;
    Gardien = Goalkeeper
    Milieu = Midfielder

https://www.sporcle.com/games/SoFoot/vainqueur-de-c1-avec-liverpool
    (How the hell did we win in 2005 with that squad :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Traore on a team with 65% possession against teams that sit back would wreck your head.

Very talented for the role he plays, but not suited for Liverpool I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Happy Istanbul day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Charlie19 wrote: »
    His final ball is no where near consistent enough for a side competing for titles.

Either was Sterling when we sold him , but he continued improving and under Klopp , I see no reason that he would stop his current upward trajectory .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

KevRossi wrote: »
    84 players have won a European Cup or Champions League with Liverpool. Name them.

I got 70/84, but took longer than the 12 minutes allocated.

69. Embarrassing that I remembered the likes of
    John Welsh, Antonio Nunez and Joey Jones
    but missed
    Emlyn Hughes, John Toshack and Phil bloody Thompson!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

At this stage I think if Klopp wanted to sign the tea lady as a striker I wouldn't even question him. Mane was pretty inconsistent at Southampton and I had similar reservations about us signing him but that turned out alright.

Phil bloody Thompson!

When Big Ears met Big Nose.

Doff wrote: »
    At this stage I think if Klopp wanted to sign the tea lady as a striker I wouldn't even question him. Mane was pretty inconsistent at Southampton and I had similar reservations about us signing him but that turned out alright.

I'd draw the line at tea lady, but would be okay with the tea man if Klopp wanted him. IKWT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,579 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Happy Istanbul day

Fifteen years, how did that happen?!
    I was lucky enough to be there. Looking at photos I look like a child! (I was 26 :p )

Fifteen years, how did that happen?!
    I was lucky enough to be there. Looking at photos I look like a child! (I was 26 :p )

More than a quarter of Champions League Finals in 15 years have featured Liverpool :D

Some night that was, amazing you got to be there. I considered heading over to Liverpool but left it too late to arrange. I don't think we'll see another final like it.

Is it a fallacy of supporting a club to think you experience more iconic nights and incredible comebacks than most clubs? Just seems that we're unique, in England anyway, with drama like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Is it a fallacy of supporting a club to think you experience more iconic nights and incredible comebacks than most clubs? Just seems that we're unique, in England anyway, with drama like this.

It's probably just we don't shut up about it but I agree with you.

I really don't think it is, I think we've had far more crazy european nights than anyone. I'd even include the likes of Real in there, despite them winning more

We're very, very lucky to follow this club :)
    (although we've been through a lot of crap as well)

I really don't think it is, I think we've had far more crazy european nights than anyone. I'd even include the likes of Real in there, despite them winning more

We're very, very lucky to follow this club :)
    (although we've been through a lot of crap as well)

Yeah I wouldn't change the crap for anything now in hindsight. European nights are the pinnacle for me. There's just something about them. Amusing when rival fans try to downplay the Anfield crowd in Europe.

Massive club. We're reminiscing about a final 15 years ago. But not like we're in the wilderness now looking back at our last past glory. We're looking back as current Champions with 3 more finals under the belt.

Even when we've been piss-poor in the league we've managed to do well in Europe. When other clubs do well in Europe they tend to be doing well/winning the league.

I think this lends credence to Liverpool actually having more comebacks/crazy games than other teams. We don't always have the best team but we have enough quality players to get us over the line.

Looking at European finals in the last twenty years;

UEFA Cup 2001 - we finished 3rd in the league (11 points off top)

Champions League 2005 - we finished 5th in the league (37 points off top)

Champions League 2007 - we finished 3rd (20 points off top)

Europa League 2016 - we finished 8th (21 points off top)

That's getting to the final alone, it doesn't count comebacks like against Barca, Dortmund, etc in the run up to said finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Fieldog wrote: »

The video after that is Carra and Xabi talking about his pen. I still reckon Xabi could do a job for us, one of the best midfleiders I have seen live, seemed to be always in the right place, deceptive in his work rate as he always looked so languid but end of a game he would be up there with the top runners and he would also more often than not have recovered posession more than anyone.

The video after that is Carra and Xabi talking about his pen. I still reckon Xabi could do a job for us, one of the best midfleiders I have seen live, seemed to be always in the right place, deceptive in his work rate as he always looked so languid but end of a game he would be up there with the top runners and he would also more often than not have recovered posession more than anyone.

Thought it was bizarre that he was the one to take the penalty at the time. My heart in that second when you knew Dida was saving it....

• Advertisement

Rafa has an article in The Athletic today about the game
    I still think about standing in the team hotel before the game, waiting for one of the elevators to take us down to the lobby. I was saying, ‘If this lift comes, we will win 1-0. If it’s that one, we’ll draw, if it’s that one over there, we’ll lose. And if it’s this one, we’ll win on penalties’. There are no prizes for guessing which one finally arrived.

Absolute madman. Love him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Capture7643.jpg

Sums up the current climate.

The joy of a goal is short lived in the face of someone breathing on you .

Thought it was bizarre that he was the one to take the penalty at the time. My heart in that second when you knew Dida was saving it....

First ever professional penalty? Never knew that!
    At the time I don't remember thinking anything of it but in hindsight it is odd it was him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Dida was hopeless in that final. All 3 goals were very preventable.

Thank God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ebbsy wrote: »
    Dida was hopeless in that final. All 3 goals were very preventable.

Thank God.

God I think that's harsh.

Thought the Gerrard header was unsavable.

The smicer one maybe he could have done better but I think it took a deflection.

Third goal was an excellent peno save and I dunno what he could have done with the rebound from the floor considering where Xabi put it.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Dida was hopeless in that final.

He dived to his right for every single penalty, both in the shootout and Alonso's in second half

Never seen a keeper do that before or since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Knex. wrote: »
    Traore on a team with 65% possession against teams that sit back would wreck your head.

Very talented for the role he plays, but not suited for Liverpool I would think.

Yeah he's a lot of fun to watch on another team but he'd do your head in here. This is all I remember from his last game against us, two big brainfarts that could have easily cost them the game:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

And for those saying he's a young player with potential to grow, I totally agree, but he won't be sold at the value of a promising youngster, he'll be sold as if he's already the finished product.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Honigstein said today that Klopp & Werner have had a virtual meeting recently.

This transfer is slowly crawling over the line.
    Sport Bild has confirmed that Jürgen Klopp held a virtual meeting with RB Leipzig's Timo Werner at Easter. 👀 #LFC

https://twitter.com/swearimnotpaul/status/1264892566224474117?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is there any reason John Barnes would be trending on twitter (in Ireland) or is it the usual thing of people start trending because people are wondering why others are talking about someone and it snowballs?

Is there any reason John Barnes would be trending on twitter (in Ireland) or is it the usual thing of people start trending because people are wondering why others are talking about someone and it snowballs?

He is on MasterChef/ Nothing to do with football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He is on MasterChef/ Nothing to do with football.

Glad i didnt know so :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Twitter needs a feature for when a celebrity trends that just says (NOT DEAD) next to their name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I don't know much about twitter but Barnes did do an interview on off the ball yesterday. Could be why he's popping up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

All this talk of Timo Werner would make me feel very disappointed if we don't sign him.

Really think the guy is the real deal and still only 24. He will become an absolute superstar under Klopp. Would also be great to be able to rotate between Bobby, Salah, Mane, and Werner for the front three spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

ricero wrote: »
    All this talk of Timo Werner would make me feel very disappointed if we don't sign him.

Really think the guy is the real deal and still only 24. He will become an absolute superstar under Klopp. Would also be great to be able to rotate between Bobby, Salah, Mane, and Werner for the front three spots.

How great does it feel that hes pretty much offering himself on a plate to us. Others want him badly, and we are given the option to have a think about it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Twitter needs a feature for when a celebrity trends that just says (NOT DEAD) next to their name.

Or in the case of ethnic celebs (RACISM)

Stephen Warnock did an interview on BBC. He doesn't seem too happy with Rafas treatment of him particularly around the champs league win.

Stephen Warnock did an interview on BBC. He doesn't seem too happy with Rafas treatment of him particularly around the champs league win.

There was a group them not just Warnock, They not allowed to fly back with the team as the WAGs got their seats and they missed the parade because of this as the plane they were on arrived back late and the team went on with the parade without them.

I don't blame them either as they all played apart of Liverpool getting to and winning that final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

There was a group them not just Warnock, They not allowed to fly back with the team as the WAGs got their seats and they missed the parade because of this as the plane they were on arrived back late and the team went on with the parade without them.

I don't blame them either as they all played apart of Liverpool getting to and winning that final.

Id loved Rafa but that was awful from him,
    It would simply never happens under Jurgen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Mellor and Pongolle were two others that missed it too, have read both talk about it recently, basically ended up at home alone upset and/or crying.

As said, Wags got their seats on the flight back, supposedly Gerrard was the main person telling everyone back in Liverpool that they can't start the parade without the other players. But he was over ruled by the police and told it has to start. Still seems odd they couldn't have stopped the bus somewhere along the way and got them on it.

Warnock and Rafa didn't have a great relationship, Rafa thought he sold him on deadline day, Rick Parry decided Warnock should stay without saying anything to Rafa (classic Parry). Next day Warnock turns up at training and Rafa just said 'what are you doing here?' He was gone in January.

Also at the end of the game, a lot of the players not in the squad where in the stands and couldn't get down onto the pitch, mayhem, security being strict etc. Morientes who was with them convinced a security guard who they where and they where allowed on.

I'm not a Liverpool fan but I found that interview surprising as I always found Benitez interesting. He basically said Rafa was great tactically but man management was terrible. Is that the general gist amongst Liverpool fans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'm not a Liverpool fan but I found that interview surprising as I always found Benitez interesting. He basically said Rafa was great tactically but man management was terrible. Is that the general gist amongst Liverpool fans?

That is the general consensus from all the players who played under him. Fantastic tactically but no arm around the shoulder or man managing different personalities. Although he's had a great career it has likely cost Rafa over the years.

Lots of stories of a player having a great performance or the team have just won a trophy/big game and as they're all celebrating on the pitch Rafa walks up to them and tells them two or three things they did wrong :pac:

They all have the same reaction in their head, ffs Rafa! We just won!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah Rafa's not a people persom
    there's nothing necessarily wrong with that but if you're working for him you have to know that or you're going to be upset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Strangely it's worked for him with big players ,
    While Steven Gerrard was at the Euro's 2004 Rafa became Liverpool manger ,
    Gerrard mam was watching England over there (she was there with Houlier) and they bumped into Rafa and he asked her very bluntly "does Steven Like Money " Gerrard said it was one of the only things Rafa said to hims mam bar " hello " It was part of Rafa's way of getting to Gerrard ,

So from day one Gerrard thought he didn't like him and felt he had something to prove , He said he always felt he needed to do more to get his praise which never came,

Rafa is a stone cold tactician ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Really like this guy Brandt. Strong and always on the ball.

It's a very good game as well.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    yeah Rafa's not a people persom
    there's nothing necessarily wrong with that but if you're working for him you have to know that or you're going to be upset

Same as every work place really. Some managers are really good with people, some not as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭eigrod

Were there any pics of Shaqiri training since they returned last week? He can’t still be injured. Something weird going on with him the last while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eigrod wrote: »
    Were there any pics of Shaqiri training since they returned last week? He can’t still be injured. Something weird going on with him the last while.

I didn't look through the pictures, but he was definitely on those zoom yoga sessions with the others anyway.

Saw a picture of Minamino and had forgotten we had signed him so that was pleasant surprise.

Newcastle looking at Shaq and Lallana to Leicester both stories tonight along with Karius to Hertha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Harry Kane to Newcastle if Pinocchio takes over as Newcastle manager. Kane is a funny one, late bloomer, 28 next year, hasn't won a thing and injury prone, and stupidly signed a 6 year contract. Le Tissier 2.0.
    Maybe United would pay the 200m to have him for a few games here and there, he's trapped at Spurs, can't see Liverpool going for him at that age and under such a heavy contract.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement