Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Maybe the club has decided to drop interest in Werner and lump all the transfer money they have on a player like Havertz who has also been linked to Liverpool for a long while.

Would be a nice signing too. It will also depend on who leaves the club. There's a fair few who could go. Naby will hopefully be like a new signing while Minamino too should be ready to hit the ground running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

well that progressed fast! Chelsea agree deal for werner:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/12000636/timo-werner-chelsea-agree-deal-in-principle-to-sign-rb-leipzig-striker

ETA: meant for the general thread! but sort of relevant here as well I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Maybe the club has decided to drop interest in Werner and lump all the transfer money they have on a player like Havertz who has also been linked to Liverpool for a long while.

Exactly...they're keeping the cash for Havertz and Koulibaly.
    Sure it'll have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Exactly...they're keeping the cash for Havertz and Koulibaly.
    Sure it'll have to do.

Why stop there sure, we could bring in Mbappe while we are at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

We should probably sign Ferran Torres as well since we already have a song for him. Yeah he’d cost about €90m but it saves the fans a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

We haven't been able to compete in the transfer market, with Chelsea since the Russian took over. Nothing's changed, except our expectations. Everyone needs to calm down and wonder how we got where we got against all the odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

It would soften the blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Maybe they're looking at Sancho again or Sane was on the radar for a free next summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭doc_17

Think Werner was a no-brainer signing and if would be disappointing, to say the least, if Klopp wants him and the board can’t deliver.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Think Werner was a no-brainer signing and if would be disappointing, to say the least, if Klopp wants him and the board can’t deliver.

he wants to play 90 mins per game, who loses out to accommodate that?

didi reckons he wouldnt be a good fit cos he relies on his pace. RBL play on the counter which suits that, while at liverpool the opposition sit deep so no space for his pace to run in to.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

One thing that is worrying though, is that the longer we don't sign players, the more likely we'll have a massive rebuilding job to come. Most players are a good age now, but we can only keep the same squad for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Reddy saying we pulled out 2 weeks ago,
    I think if Jurgen wanted him it would be wrapped up
    I guess Minamino and Elliot will have to step up,
    Or are we after Sancho?

I can't wait until we're informed that he rejected us to go to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Shame that Werner is going to Chelsea. Just shows that the oil barons operate in a different world to the others. The likes of City's and Chelsea's owners can absorb COVID-19 loses more readily than Liverpool, Utd, Spurs, Arsenal etc. Bad news for everyone outside those two - I'd make Chelsea nailed on for at least one of the 4 CL spots next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Shame that Werner is going to Chelsea. Just shows that the oil barons operate in a different world to the others. The likes of City's and Chelsea's owners can absorb COVID-19 loses more readily than Liverpool, Utd, Spurs, Arsenal etc. Bad news for everyone outside those two - I'd make Chelsea nailed on for at least one of the 4 CL spots next season.

All the Russian owner talk but doesn't FFP come into play?

noodler wrote: »

think Chelsea and PSG were the last to get in before the status quo decided they didnt like where this was heading. they are self sufficient now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

think Chelsea and PSG were the last to get in before the status quo decided they didnt like where this was heading. they are self sufficient now.

So can they be spending owners money now or are they just using 'normal' revenue?

Is there anything to be said for the point that they can only afford this transfer because of their owner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Klopp and the club have been almost faultless in the transfer market, so we have to assume there was a good reason. It is disappointing though. It's not often you win the Champions League and it does, for a brief time, make the club a much more attractive prospect for players. It would be strange not to take advantage of that. Although I suppose the club is always going to be attractive while Klopp is there, and we are about to win the league.

Werner would seem like the perfect "fourth attacker" to rotate with the front 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Gutted about the Werner news tbh. Never seen the lad play like but still feel we should have paid the money and signed him.

• Advertisement

So can they be spending owners money now or are they just using 'normal' revenue?

Is there anything to be said for the point that they can only afford this transfer because of their owner?

i dont know the ins and outs at all.

it is based on averages for the last 4 (?) seasons. so they have a surplus, having not spent much the last 2 windows.

ETA: i dont know, but if you are banned from signing players; that should not allow you to increase the amount you can spend when the ban is lifted. that amounts to a deferral, rather than a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

I know Barca Dembele was mentioned as just a newspaper rumour, however I'd be concerned if he was being considered with his recent history of serious injuries.

The Dembele that Barca initially signed from Dortmund, I'd absolutely love. But his career at Barca has been very misfortunate and i think he runs the risk of being one of those perpetually injured players (think Aquaman, Diaby, Keith O'Neill)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I guess FFP likely to be eased due to clubs reduced incomes.

Tusky wrote: »
    Klopp and the club have been almost faultless in the transfer market, so we have to assume there was a good reason. It is disappointing though. It's not often you win the Champions League and it does, for a brief time, make the club a much more attractive prospect for players. It would be strange not to take advantage of that. Although I suppose the club is always going to be attractive while Klopp is there, and we are about to win the league.

Werner would seem like the perfect "fourth attacker" to rotate with the front 3.

Before Klopp came in FSG were far from faultless. The only serious outlay came on the back of Suarez and Coutinho being sold. The likes of Mane and Salah were coached into world-beaters by Klopp.

I think it would be really poor form if FSG wouldn’t stump up the cash for him, considering they haven’t had to spend anything in the last 2 windows.

But, if if Klopp himself decided against it then that’s a different story.

I think Dembele would be one to avoid, arriving late to Barca training because he’s been playing video games all night is a red flag!

If Liverpool did pull out of the Werner deal because of money, no chance we're signing Sancho, Havertz, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Gutted about the Werner news tbh. Never seen the lad play like but still feel we should have paid the money and signed him.

How can you be gutted about a player you never seen play ?

Anyways keep the faith, the club has a plan I'm sure. They haven't steered us wrong in 5 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Surely we're keeping the Werner money to and adding it to the Nike money to seal Mbappe in the next year.

Anyhow, I hope it was Klopp's decision on Werner, and for football reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

It should be an exciting time with the prospect of the restart.

We shouldn’t really be concerned about transfers & not signing anyone!

However, it would be really really worrying if we don’t sign Timo Werner. I’m not buying Klopp didn’t want him for one second.

The Nike deal alone would cover the signing - you always see it when Nike come into top teams, a major signing is made!

Now is the time to be exerting pressure on the rest, when you are on top!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I will be shocked now if we make any signings besides free transfers now.

Not good enough imo. Where is all the money I ask ? 10 million spent in the past three transfer windows.

African cup of nations in January. No salah or Mane will be gone for a month. Its a disservice to Klopp not backing him as it seems he really wanted Werner by all accounts.

I fear the squad will hit a wall and suffer serious burn out next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

ricero wrote: »

Not good enough imo. Where is all the money I ask ? 10 million spent in the past three transfer windows.

African cup of nations in January. No salah or Mane will be gone for a month. Its a disservice to Klopp not backing him as it seems he really wanted Werner by all accounts.

There’s a full breakdown of Chelsea landing him on the athletic. It’s reported that Liverpool don’t feel they’re desperate for Werner as the African cup of nationals is not going to go ahead. It’s also reported that the transfer analysts at Liverpool rated Werner higher than Sancho or Havertz.

I wonder would all those who were clutching the pearls at the idea of Liverpool furloughing staff changing their minds now that the club reversed its decision pp development on the new stand and pulled out of Werner deal. There were airlines using that scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

It could be the fourth season in a row we start with the same front 3 with no quality alternative to rotate in or out. Africa Cup of Nations could still go ahead removing 2 key attackers from us. Burnout or failing to repeat high levels of performance for any of the front 3 is a growing worry the longer things stay the same. Just look at Spurs who struggle to maintain performance levels through a couple of seasons with the same team. Ferguson always freshened up his team with one or two key additions each season.

I also refuse to believe Klopp didn't want the player. It definitely looks like a financial decision by the owners, which now gives the impression of a reluctance to invest money we obviously should have into the team. If we are reluctant to spend 55m on Werner then I'm taking it as a sign we will not be spending money full stop, so any links to Havertz etc is just wishful thinking.

12 days to the restart

Eyt8eq.gif

It could be the fourth season in a row we start with the same front 3 with no quality alternative to rotate in or out. Africa Cup of Nations could still go ahead removing 2 key attackers from us. Burnout or failing to repeat high levels of performance for any of the front 3 is a growing worry the longer things stay the same. Just look at Spurs who struggle to maintain performance levels through a couple of seasons with the same team. Ferguson always freshened up his team with one or two key additions each season.

I also refuse to believe Klopp didn't want the player. It definitely looks like a financial decision by the owners, which now gives the impression of a reluctance to invest money we obviously should have into the team. If we are reluctant to spend 55m on Werner then I'm taking it as a sign we will not be spending money full stop, so any links to Havertz etc is just wishful thinking.

Reading between the lines it looks as though its about the timing,

As we didn't want to commit to spending the money until this season is done , mentioned in all the articles that our and Werner's time line didn't match up ,
    If the season falls apart again and doesn't get finished there will be huge financial repercussions, Player who is 50 million may then be worth 20 ,

It'll very interesting to see what our next step is, as if Lallana and Shaq leave we will 100% need an attacking replacement,

Also if we are honest 200 grand a week for a guy who won't be an automatic starter is not what Liverpool do ,
    I actually think that would be bad for the dressing room and our strongest assets under Jurgen is our togetherness ,
    I think we will get someone much more raw and only go for finished articles like Werner if they are straight into the starting 11

Not one of Klopps singing who where going to be starters has come in on 100 grand let alone 200 grand ,

Where is the money? Have you not noticed the absence of football, no fans for probably about a year, wages still to be paid as normal. Loss of income, and still hefty outgoings doesn't mean carry on as normal for most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

5starpool wrote: »
    Where is the money? Have you not noticed the absence of football, no fans for probably about a year, wages still to be paid as normal. Loss of income, and still hefty outgoings doesn't mean carry on as normal for most.

Plus FSG are losing money hand over fist in Boston...

5starpool wrote: »

Dont buy that for one second. Matchday income wouldn't effect us as much as other clubs.

We have spent next to nothing the past 2 years and just signed a luctative kit deal with Nike on top of the champions league and premier league money.

I think FSG got cold feet after the backlash of trying to furlough their staff. It will look terrible in a year when they tried to furlough staff they spend 50 million euros on a striker.

Unfortuantely it will be to the detriment of the team. He was a perfect signing for Klopp and this team. We also now indirectly strengthened a rival for next season.

Fsg only spend money from the sales of an asset. See coutinho and suarez as examples.

Dont buy that for one second. Matchday income wouldn't effect us as much as other clubs.

We have spent next to nothing the past 2 years and just signed a luctative kit deal with Nike on top of the champions league and premier league money.

I think FSG got cold feet after the backlash of trying to furlough their staff. It will look terrible in a year when they tried to furlough staff they spend 50 million euros on a striker.

Unfortuantely it will be to the detriment of the team. He was a perfect signing for Klopp and this team.

Fsg only spend money from the sales of an asset. See coutinho and suarez as examples.

I don't think its the 50 million that's the problem ,

I reckon its the 200 grand a week for a replacement player that's the problem, again not one player Jurgen has bought a starting 11 player has even come in on 100k a week, Why would a sub get 200k a week ?

I reckon once one of Bobby , Mane,Salah go then we will bring in a player on big money until then it'll be guys like Salah ,Mane when they came in as "decent " players on "decent money" and progressed to world class,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

The amount of moaning here about missing out on 1 player and wondering "where the money" is.

Unreal lads, live in the now. Right now we are 2-3 weeks from winning the League.

Lets get that out of the way first and get the season finished, then there will be money and transfers, FSG have been careful with the pursestrings and that's exactly why we won the CL last year and the EPL this year.

Decisions have been made thoughtfully and carefully as the managerial appointment and previous transfers have shown.

Now all you moaners and doom merchants hold your whist and enjoy the rest of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The amount of moaning here about missing out on 1 player and wondering "where the money" is.

Unreal lads, live in the now. Right now we are 2-3 weeks from winning the League.

Lets get that out of the way first and get the season finished, then there will be money and transfers, FSG have been careful with the pursestrings and that's exactly why we won the CL last year and the EPL this year.

Decisions have been made thoughtfully and carefully as the managerial appointment and previous transfers have shown.

Now all you moaners and doom merchants hold your whist and enjoy the rest of the season

This.

the close season is the time for this talk.

FWIW, while I'd be disappointed if we don't sign up another forward this summer, we certainly have to provide cover and competition for the front 3,I'm not 100% sure Werner is the man for us. Let's see who we start next season with before launching an FSG out mob.

Ah I cant wait for a few weeks from now to celebrate in a few weeks time. It will be great to get back to the pinnacle of football. But my fear is we wont last long back on top if we dont open up the coffers and bring in more world class talent.

Anyway we shall wait and see I suppose.

• Advertisement

Its mental

Off the field we have become bigger than ever commercially,
    Our stadium is finally looking fantastic with more to come,
    New dressing rooms
    New state of the art training ground on the way,
    Massive new deal with Nike,
    Selling poor players for big money .
    signing class players for low money,
    Some of the worlds best players
    Ballen Dor contender's
    Possibly Premier league player of the season for the 3rd year in a row,
    Possibly highest goals scorer in the league for the third team in a row
    Lost just twice in 2 seasons in the league ,
    Best manger in the world
    World champions
    European Champions
    First EVER time as Prem champions in a few week ,
    First title in nearly 30 years to come,

Yes FSG out, the absolute morons have no idea what they are doing our clubs is a joke,

Ah I cant wait for a few weeks from now to celebrate in a few weeks time. It will be great to get back to the pinnacle of football. But my fear is we wont last long back on top if we dont open up the coffers and bring in more world class talent.

Anyway we shall wait and see I suppose.

People said that last summer, when we bought Van den berg and that's it ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Plus FSG are losing money hand over fist in Boston...

Yeah FSG were already cutting back their spending with the Red Sox even before the pandemic. And now the entire baseball season is under threat over there so they may take a huge loss. No reason they aren’t doing the same with Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭facehugger99

€50m quid and €200k a week for a non-guaranteed starter?

No thanks.

Not even remotely bothered we didn't sign him at those figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Chesty08 wrote: »
    it would be really really worrying if we don’t sign Timo Werner.

i don't think there is any IF about it. he is going to Chelsea, he ain't coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Date Team TV
    June 21st Everton (a) Sky Sports
    June 24th Palace Sky Sports
    July 2nd Man City (a) Sky Sports

Date Team TV
    June 21st Everton (a) Sky Sports
    June 24th Palace Sky Sports
    July 2nd Man City (a) Sky Sports

Wonder is by design the two games Liverpool are must likely to win it are late at night midweek not leaving much time to celebrate ,

Its mental

Off the field we have become bigger than ever commercially,
    Our stadium is finally looking fantastic with more to come,
    New dressing rooms
    New state of the art training ground on the way,
    Massive new deal with Nike,
    Selling poor players for big money .
    signing class players for low money,
    Some of the worlds best players
    Ballen Dor contender's
    Possibly Premier league player of the season for the 3rd year in a row,
    Possibly highest goals scorer in the league for the third team in a row
    Lost just twice in 2 seasons in the league ,
    Best manger in the world
    World champions
    European Champions
    First EVER time as Prem champions in a few week ,
    First title in nearly 30 years to come,

Yes FSG out, the absolute morons have no idea what they are doing our clubs is a joke,

Nobody has said FSG out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

My only worry is squads have a tendency to get stale if they are not freshened up even with one or two significant signings over a couple of years.

This Liverpool team obviously know each other inside out which is a big advantage but a team going stale can creep up on you over time. Won’t matter this season but will it next season? Maybe. Maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Wonder is by design the two games Liverpool are must likely to win it are late at night midweek not leaving much time to celebrate ,

All 3 games are late kick offs, Sunday 7pm, Wednesday 8:15pm and Thursday 8:15pm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement