Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I couldn't give a fùck when it's won.

I would feel as though I'm being arrogant if I start trying to pick an ideal time to win it.

It's been 30 years. It will be glorious and joyous whenever it happens.

Just be happy that it'll be won.

I've been have random moments of beaming smiles and punching of the air all morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/themichaelowen/status/1276098616122277888

good analysis on Mane's goal.

Imagine De Bruyne played that pass by Salah.
    Would never hear the end of how it was the greatest pass of the season etc.

I know Roy Hodgson was a disaster and utterly wrong for our club.

But I have to say, he is a gentleman, and never has a bad word to say about the club. Always complimentary and full of respect.

And to still be at all relevant in the Premier League at his age is quite remarkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Tonight or whenever, that side has won the league months ago. They’ve been phenomenal.

LiVARpool
    League has been poor
    Null and void
    It’s not the same now

The bitters can stick their narratives and asterisks up their arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is it just me or do our player not get half the credit they deserve ?

VVD does but the rest I think are under valued by others,
    We have some absiluty outstaniding footbalelrs at the club ,

All the talk last 2 weeks United 2 of Pogba and Bruno ,i'd hedge my bets that's Gini and Hendo would do a serious number on them ,

Gini is possible the most underrated player in the whole Premier league ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

SlickRic wrote: »
    I couldn't give a fùck when it's won.

I would feel as though I'm being arrogant if I start trying to pick an ideal time to win it.

It's been 30 years. It will be glorious and joyous whenever it happens.

Just be happy that it'll be won.

Whether it's tonight or next Thursday or whenever it happens two things are guaranteed in my house:-

1. There will be fizzy wine getting sprayed and drank by me and a few people who've been coming to watch big Liverpool games at my gaff over the years.

2. This heavy metal (not really) version of YNWA will be blasting out when the final whistle goes to celebrate the heavy metal way we've won the league.

Not sure if it's un PC or not to like the Drop Kick Murphy's version of YNWA but as someone who was brought up listing to AC/DC, Thin Lizzy etc I do like it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Was born a year after we last won the league. The abuse during school by all my Man United fans will make this league title even sweeter.

I remember a conversation I had with a friend a few years ago about how we imagined Lfc would win the league (if ever). He was very poetic thinking it would be won in a dramatic fashion like Aguero for Man City.

I said the year we win the league we will walk it. Never expected to see this though. This team is incredible.

Thank God for Jurgen Norbert Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

Oh ye of little faith. I had to avoid the bitching and moaning in here after the difficult Everton game, such was the putrid exhortations of the entitled malcontents. Last night defined this team and this league campaign. No more girly talk in here please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

DVDM93 wrote: »
    & what's the logic behind that if you don't mind me asking?

I thought this whole asterisk craic was only if the season was ended early & we were awarded the title having not mathematically won it nor thr season completed fully.

The season will be completed fully & we will mathematically win it.

The only thing that's null & void is this asterisk narrative.

I can only guess as to what this former workmates logic is. I take from it that he’s a bitter Man U fan who can’t accept Liverpool are champions. He’s been clutching at straws all year. It’s tiresome tbh. But when I see a smart remark on fb which he tags me in then I have to retort.

I don’t care if there’s an asterisk or not. Liverpool are champions coz they are the best team in England and the world right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'm a sucker for a good stat and saw a brilliant one on twitter there
    80% of Sadio Mane's PL goals have come within two nautical miles of the English coast

Called bull**** on it so got out a pen & paper and went onto some stats websites. It's f*cking true!!

He really loves the seaside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Any asterix on the title win should be for most dominant league win ever. Simple as that.

Bitter rival fans can have nothing now to tarnish Liverpool's title.

Had one gobsh1te calling us "Corona Champions" last night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

Soak of the bitterness lads. Soak it up.

Winners are always hated by losers.

the AWB v Trent debate is ludicrous.

they are asked to do utterly different things for both of their teams.

Henderson was at RB half the time last night, with Trent just inside trying to dictate the play.

AWB is asked to defend, not let the left winger passed, and overlap like crazy when he gets the chance to put the odd cross in.

despite endless debate online, I find it a pointless one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Henderson was at RB half the time last night, with Trent just inside trying to dictate the play.

AWB is asked to defend, not let the left winger passed, and overlap like crazy when he gets the chance to put the odd cross in.

Ridiculous debate. Its obvious Trent is the winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

This morning was like waking up on Christmas Eve. Is it gonna happen tonight ??
    Realised I've been buzzing all day at the thought of it. At my age I should have grown out of that feeling but instead I've embraced it . Buzzing :)

You know what the most ludicrous part we been told for the last 20 years that the full backs position has changed and now every top teams needs good attacking full backs, but cause United shelled out way above the odds for someone who isn't great at attacking , its now about defending

You know what else is ludicrous

Tackle success Trent 66% AWB 66%
    last man tackles Trent 1 AWB 0
    Blocked shots Trent 16 AWB 1
    Interceptions Trent 38 AWB 55 (Liverpool have the ball more )
    Clearences Trent 62 AWB 52
    recoveries Trent 192 AWB 154
    Duels LOST Trent 125 AWB 122 Duels won AWB is higher but had more
    Aerial battles won Trent 88 AWB 18
    Aerial battles lost Trent 27 AWB 30
    Errors leading to goals Trent 0 AWB 1

Seems like Trent is a better defender
    Although I will say things can be misleading for example AWB has won hardly any aerial battles but he is rarely targeted where as Trent is targeted a with long balls so wins more headers ,

14 more chances.

• Advertisement

14 more chances.

He didn't say specifically with Liverpool :mad::mad::mad:

:pac:

He didn't say specifically with Liverpool :mad::mad::mad:

:pac:

Trent out, if he'll "come outside" that is :D the cross merchant.

I must say I'm very happy that he's in our team, a local lad, it's great for Liverpool & the people of Liverpool too.

Especially given Carra & Gerrard missed out, it makes up for it somewhat in that sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Trent has a CL and soon PL medal.

AWB has?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Meh. I think AWB is a very good player. There's plenty of worse RB's that you could have a go at.

Back to us, I see Patrick van Aanholt has less than a year left on his contract, he wasn't as terrible as the rest of them last night. I'd take him as Robertson backup if available cheaply but I do think we'll go more for a player who can also play CB.

Wondered last night if Neco Williams could be a first choice cover for both sides of defence. Looked comfortable enough with either feet.

Steyr 556 wrote: »

AWB has?

I tend not to get sucked in to medal hauls when it comes to comparing individual players to be honest.

Darren Gibson has a Premier League medal, Steven Gerrard does not.

In saying that though I've often seen people trying end the Gerrard-Scholes debate referring to the number of medals won, I wonder will the same now go for them debating AWB & Trent, I doubt it somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Steyr 556 wrote: »

AWB has?

And people wonder why things end up kicking off out of the blue...
    8-10 wrote: »
    Meh. I think AWB is a very good player. There's plenty of worse RB's that you could have a go at.

Back to us, I see Patrick van Aanholt has less than a year left on his contract, he wasn't as terrible as the rest of them last night. I'd take him as Robertson backup if available cheaply but I do think we'll go more for a player who can also play CB.

Think PVA would be a great option for yous. Would be given so much room to roam in the way you guys set up. Extremely likeable twitter user as well :pac:

• Advertisement

And people wonder why things end up kicking off out of the blue...

Think PVA would be a great option for yous. Would be given so much room to roam in the way you guys set up. Extremely likeable twitter user as well :pac:

bit of a legend alright.

https://twitter.com/pvanaanholt/status/1272886659999244290?s=20

Trent > AWB.

It's not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I'll be honest, any United fans I know haven't really being saying anything outside of them not wanting to see us win it. Tacit acknowledgement that we deserve it.
    Same goes for Chelsea and City (2 brothers) fans.

Who seem real bitter about if of the football fans I know are Arsenal fans.
    Couldn't really understand it until I realised that the "haven't won the league in X years" will all be about Arsenal and not Liverpool anymore.

A real dilemma for City players tonight.

Draw or lose and suffer the ignominy of putting out a guard of honour for the new champions before next Thursday's game, or win tonight and suffer a home draw/loss to the new champions and furnish the guard of honour for players leaving the pitch?

Kind of like would you prefer to eat a bowl of puke or be dragged naked over broken glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

garra wrote: »
    A real dilemma for City players tonight.

Draw or lose and suffer the ignominy of putting out a guard of honour for the new champions before next Thursday's game, or win tonight and suffer a home draw/loss to the new champions and furnish the guard of honour for players leaving the pitch?

Kind of like would you prefer to eat a bowl of puke or be dragged naked over broken glass.

Option C win both games? :pac:

• Advertisement

Roanmore wrote: »
    I'll be honest, any United fans I know haven't really being saying anything outside of them not wanting to see us win it. Tacit acknowledgement that we deserve it.

Couldn't really understand it until I realised that the "haven't won the league in X years" will all be about Arsenal and not Liverpool anymore.

16 years since Arsenal won the league. 7 since Utd did.

Time flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

6 wrote: »

Time flies.

Utd can spend, creep back up. Arsenal look fooked.

Nice brief timeline of Klopp's time and the Liverpool's improvement under him:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHrH6Tg4GfI

Yeah, can you see them winning a league in the next 5 years? I can't.

Saying that. The same might have been said about us 5/6 years ago..

Option C win both games? :pac:

I only account for real life scenarios in these musings

Roanmore wrote: »

I thought myself this was just going to be the case for one day, when we lost to Watford & the chance of being invincible went out the window. I thought meh, let them have it, it's the only thing they've had to celebrate bar a nice new set of kits this season.

but low & behold you're right, I've seen it myself, and yes, that must be the reason why, a very good point & acknowledgement.

from my own personal experience once the null & void option was put the bed I've not heard sight nor sound of any of my City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc... friends, colleagues, etc...

all their narratives have eliminated themselves, no more asterisk argument, no more mathematically not won argument, no more null & void, etc... all that's left now is acceptance.

that's why I was so surprised to see Blondie still has people chatting sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Maybe this can shed some light on why we didn't get him. £70k per week more than Salah, our highest paid player. Even talks of a new van Dijk contract only have him earning £220k.

Screenshot-20200625-140111.jpg

Maybe this can shed some light on why we didn't get him. £70k per week more than Salah, our highest paid player. Even talks of a new van Dijk contract only have him earning £220k.

Screenshot-20200625-140111.jpg

Well Chelsea/Frank fans can stop with "transfer ban" excuses. Massive pressure on Lampard next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Transfer fee of ~€50m + agent fee of ~€12m and a signing bonus of ~€11m. That's €72m before wages which are high.

Suddenly the numbers are extremely high and he is not cheap.

I tend not to get sucked in to medal hauls when it comes to comparing individual players to be honest.

Darren Gibson has a Premier League medal, Steven Gerrard does not.

In saying that though I've often seen people trying end the Gerrard-Scholes debate referring to the number of medals won, I wonder will the same now go for them debating AWB & Trent, I doubt it somehow.

The Gerrard - Scholes debate isn't even a debate,

As you said Scholes had more medals played in a better team but look at the individual awards , Players of the months, teams of the year, Players of the season , Gerrard blew Scholes out of the water , Gerrard more often than not picked central for England ahead of him

Don't let people rewrite history as an individual there was no comparison Gerrard all day every day was the better player, and that's saying something as Scholes was very very good ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

FitzShane wrote: »
    Transfer fee of ~€50m + agent fee of ~€12m and a signing bonus of ~€11m. That's €72m before wages which are high.

Suddenly the numbers are extremely high and he is not cheap.

All to sit on the bench

We've done a lot brilliantly but managing the wages is up there. Smaller base wage, increased incentives.

On the face of it it looks like we're fleecing the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Football can change quickly though. Look at Liverpool. Many rival fans thought that 4th was Liverpools ceiling 5 years ago.

Brendan Rodgers sacked thread is interesting read..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

In every aspect Trent is levels above AWB, he's world class,don't doubt it, if Trento was on his jersey it wouldn't be a debate,passes he makes,goals he scores,his accuracy,brain, top level player is Trent. And humble.

There isn't another RB in world football better than Trent imo.

England will ruin him of course lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Speaking of Right Backs, Clyne will leave the club at the end of the month, officially.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1276153341739966464

Was a staple squad member for the first 2 years of his contract, before his big injury, was was quite dependable. He played an awful lot of games when Klopp first came in too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Football can change quickly though. Look at Liverpool. Many rival fans thought that 4th was Liverpools ceiling 5 years ago.

Brendan Rodgers sacked thread is interesting read..

Exactly,Wasn't there a few wise posters coming on here 2 seasons ago saying klopp wouldn't win any trophies and should concentrate on the FA cup,And how Utd wouldn't put up with a manager like klopp they are all about winning trophies and contesting leagues!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Looking ahead to next season, Liverpool are likely to be in the enviable position of treating the remaining games, after the City match, as an extended pre-season.

Klopp can rest, rotate and try new systems and player-combos.

Even getting knocked out of the CL may be a bit of a blessing given the proposed August format.

City, despise their strength in depth, will surely start the season mentally and physically tired. Liverpool can be fresh, rested and prepared.

I think this season has shown us the blueprint how to beat City to the title, - win nearly every match.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Looking ahead to next season, Liverpool are likely to be in the enviable position of treating the remaining games, after the City match, as an extended pre-season.

Klopp can rest, rotate and try new systems and player-combos.

Even getting knocked out of the CL may be a bit of a blessing given the proposed August format.

City, despise their strength in depth, will surely start the season mentally and physically tired. Liverpool can be fresh, rested and prepared.

I think this season has shown us the blueprint how to beat City to the title, - win nearly every match.

It's a blueprint many have tried but failed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

6 wrote: »

Time flies.

It was around the 16 year mark after last winning the league that LFC won the champions league .....2005 doesn't feel like 15 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://twitter.com/GrizzKhan/status/1276115486724497409?s=20

Bit of a cheesy one this but gets the blood pumping...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement